2012 QM2 Holiday cruise

figment9999

Overall wonderful cruise: a beautiful ship, attentive crew, great weather and calm seas.

St Kitts

This was our first time to St Kitts so we opted for the Best of St Kitts Tour, Good choice, extended the tour to the beach, then shopping.

Dominica

Not our first time in Dominica so we walked around town in the morning and found the Fort Young Hotel a block in from the harbor (up the hill), great lunch.

At 1PM did the Rib snorkel excursion; a high speed boat ride to snorkel / beach / sightsee. Excellent!

The boats captain did a running commentary as we went up the coast noting points of interest, we stopped once and toured a small town and it was great.

He made a run (2 mi) to a reported whale sighting, really fast (55 KM/hr); we missed the whale but what a ride, excellent!

St Lucia

Did the Land & Sea excursion; a bus ride out thru the island to the Pitons (w lunch) then a catamaran back to port. Excellent! Great / fun hosts, even a drive-in volcano.

St Maarten

Since we’ve been to St Maarten a few times before so we decided to go to beach in Great Bay (a short water taxi away from the ship). Shopping is a block in from the “boardwalk” promenade so everything is in reach. We went to the area in front of the Holland House hotel and used the beach: $25 for 2 chairs, umbrella, and a bucket of beers (5). A great day.

St Thomas

Took the Castaway Girl catamaran snorkeling excursion; this is the third time we’ve done this tour and they do a great job, the captain & crew rock. The catamaran picked us up and dropped us off right next to the ship in Crown Bay, doesn’t get more convenient. Went to town for shopping and lunch; fun.

On board

Main dining room, second seating (8:30), large table. Great table mates; enjoyed the menu options and preparation, attentive staff.

Entertainment – saw a number of stage shows, really impressive dancers / singers.

There was one show where 2 violinists (Elektra) did a high energy performance that was wonderful, the James Bond themed medley was awesome.

Christmas: decorations, special English touches at diner, all were super. Thank You Cunard for our Christmas gift. All made it a special holiday.

New Year’s Eve – we went to the Grand lobby and danced / enjoyed the band. Champagne / balloon drop at midnight made it fun, topped off by a late night buffet. Pretty perfect.

The QM2 is a special ship; beautiful, elegant and very comfortable in requiring “upscale” dress (5 formal nights). I personally prefer more relaxed dress code, but the majority of passengers absolutely love the formality so the whole picture works. We just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Overall wonderful cruise: a beautiful ship, attentive crew, great weather and calm seas.

St Kitts

This was our first time to St Kitts so we opted for the Best of St Kitts Tour, Good choice, extended the tour to the beach, then shopping.

Dominica

Not our first time in Dominica so we walked around town in the morning and found the Fort Young Hotel a block in from the harbor (up the hill), great lunch.

At 1PM did the Rib snorkel excursion; a high speed boat ride to snorkel / beach / sightsee. Excellent!

The boats captain did a running commentary as we went up the coast noting points of interest, we stopped once and toured a small town and it was great.

He made a run (2 mi) to a reported whale sighting, really fast (55 KM/hr); we missed the whale but what a ride, excellent!

St Lucia

Did the Land & Sea excursion; a bus ride out thru the island to the Pitons (w lunch) then a catamaran back to port. Excellent! Great / fun hosts, even a drive-in volcano.

St Maarten

Since we’ve been to St Maarten a few times before so we decided to go to beach in Great Bay (a short water taxi away from the ship). Shopping is a block in from the “boardwalk” promenade so everything is in reach. We went to the area in front of the Holland House hotel and used the beach: $25 for 2 chairs, umbrella, and a bucket of beers (5). A great day.

St Thomas

Took the Castaway Girl catamaran snorkeling excursion; this is the third time we’ve done this tour and they do a great job, the captain & crew rock. The catamaran picked us up and dropped us off right next to the ship in Crown Bay, doesn’t get more convenient. Went to town for shopping and lunch; fun.

On board

Main dining room, second seating (8:30), large table. Great table mates; enjoyed the menu options and preparation, attentive staff.

Entertainment – saw a number of stage shows, really impressive dancers / singers.

There was one show where 2 violinists (Elektra) did a high energy performance that was wonderful, the James Bond themed medley was awesome.

Christmas: decorations, special English touches at diner, all were super. Thank You Cunard for our Christmas gift. All made it a special holiday.

New Year’s Eve – we went to the Grand lobby and danced / enjoyed the band. Champagne / balloon drop at midnight made it fun, topped off by a late night buffet. Pretty perfect.

The QM2 is a special ship; beautiful, elegant and very comfortable in requiring “upscale” dress (5 formal nights). I personally prefer more relaxed dress code, but the majority of passengers absolutely love the formality so the whole picture works. We just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Glad you had a great time. The Festival trip used to be 14-16days. It's a shame they cut back by slowing the ship down. It used to be about 2 days down & 2 days back. You had more ports to visit then.

PARTIAL QUOTE

...Overall wonderful cruise: a beautiful ship, attentive crew, great weather and calm seas...

figment, happy to read that you had a wondeful time, and thanks for the info on your port excusions.

Happily you were apparently unaware of the noro outbreak on board, or at least it did not warrant mention in your review. But there was a noro outbreak, as reported to the CDC, and the captain and crew by all reports did a remarkable job at containing it. -Does that not deserve mention in your review?

Thanks for your review, it was very interesting. Glad you had a wonderful time. -S

Figment999-Thank you for the review of this wonderful holiday cruise. I relived this trip thanks to you. 12 days was the perfect amount of time for us.

Twelve days on a ship with a serious noro outbreak would be more than enough days for me :eek::D

:eek:

PARTIAL QUOTE

figment, happy to read that you had a wondeful time, and thanks for the info on your port excusions.

Happily you were apparently unaware of the noro outbreak on board, or at least it did not warrant mention in your review. But there was a noro outbreak, as reported to the CDC, and the captain and crew by all reports did a remarkable job at containing it. -Does that not deserve mention in your review?

Thanks for your review, it was very interesting. Glad you had a wonderful time. -S

Salacia,

It affected less than 10% of the passengers and didn't dampen the voyage for most people. In fact, it was rather amusing each day to hear Captain Hand Wash explain the "situation".

Perhaps it was a review of the positives and not the hyped up media nonsense that some of you not on board have apparently chosen to believe :)

It ws a great trip. So much so that half the passengers have booked the same voyage again for this year.

[Overall wonderful cruise: a beautiful ship, attentive crew, great weather and calm seas..... We just sat back and enjoyed the ride.[/font][/color]

Figment999-Thank you for the review of this wonderful holiday cruise. I relived this trip thanks to you. 12 days was the perfect amount of time for us.

How excellent that you both had a great time. Thanks figment for the wonderful review and pay no attention to comments about what you should, or should not have, included in your review - it's your review about your experience.

Edited to add: And it doesn't matter if the reviewer has done one voyage or claims to have done 10 QM2 voyages, I find all reviews interesting.

Salacia,

It affected less than 10% of the passengers and didn't dampen the voyage for most people. In fact, it was rather amusing each day to hear Captain Hand Wash explain the "situation".

Perhaps it was a review of the positives and not the hyped up media nonsense that some of you not on board have apparently chosen to believe :)

It ws a great trip. So much so that half the passengers have booked the same voyage again for this year.

Austcruiser, I had a gastrointestional illness during the Christmas Holiday while at home, so I can easily empathize with those that had it during this cruise. Since I cleaned up after myself, I can also appreciate the work of the crew during the outbreak.

Yes, there was media hype, just as there are those reviewers who ignored the outbreak completely as if it never happened. But since people search this forum for information, an outbreak of noro and how it was handled is noteworthy. For some with pre-existing medical conditions, such information can be very important indeed.

I think most know that these outbreaks can happen both on land and at sea. When an outbreak such as the one that occurred during the cruise we are discussing is quelled so quickly, that is something I consider a "postive" worthy of mention and appreciation, but that's only my personal opinion, and of course, everyone free to take it or leave it.:)

If a Holiday Cruise is the same as a Christmas Cruise, I wonder why we don't call it what it is. Some may not celebrate Christmas but that doesn't mean that it isn't Christmas does it. If a Summer Cruise takes place in the Northern Hemisphere should we rename it for those antipodean passengers?

If a Holiday Cruise is the same as a Christmas Cruise, I wonder why we don't call it what it is. Some may not celebrate Christmas but that doesn't mean that it isn't Christmas does it. If a Summer Cruise takes place in the Northern Hemisphere should we rename it for those antipodean passengers?

Not to be pedantic...

Holiday in Australia refers to any period that one might have off. So that could be confusing.

Christmas is the correct word. Given that most passengers seem to be from Christian countries, I don't see why it's a problem.

Heck, before Christmas I saw Christmas trees in major public buildings and my hotel in the UAE. They didn't seem offended - rather welcoming I thought.

It was a GREAT Christmas voyage. We even sang We Wish You A Merry Christmas during the carols service in the Grand Lobby.

Cunard even sent out Christmas cards, had Santa (well, for the kids) and all the trappings that go with Christmas.

I just realised Ive written Christmas a lot :) Best time of year I think.

Austcruiser, I had a gastrointestional illness during the Christmas Holiday while at home, so I can easily empathize with those that had it during this cruise. Since I cleaned up after myself, I can also appreciate the work of the crew during the outbreak.

Yes, there was media hype, just as there are those reviewers who ignored the outbreak completely as if it never happened. But since people search this forum for information, an outbreak of noro and how it was handled is noteworthy. For some with pre-existing medical conditions, such information can be very important indeed.

I think most know that these outbreaks can happen both on land and at sea. When an outbreak such as the one that occurred during the cruise we are discussing is quelled so quickly, that is something I consider a "postive" worthy of mention and appreciation, but that's only my personal opinion, and of course, everyone free to take it or leave it.:)

I've had gastro too. We are totally blood brothers!

If you're desperate for 'full disclosure' and not just the sanitised version (pun intended), wait for my review.

But go easy on me. I've only done one voyage and they didn't teach me how to write at university or how to express myself in various communication roles I've held :)

I enjoyed your holiday cruise review. I was about to take that cruise , but I didn't go ahead with the booking. I made the reservation on board the QM2,in June.

I have many friends who sailed on the cruise from New York (Brooklyn). They said the NORO Virus got worse each day. I know 2 passengers who disembarked in St.Martin.

I look forward to your Full disclosure review of the Christmas Cruise,2012

I enjoyed your holiday cruise review. I was about to take that cruise , but I didn't go ahead with the booking. I made the reservation on board the QM2,in June.

I have many friends who sailed on the cruise from New York (Brooklyn). They said the NORO Virus got worse each day. I know 2 passengers who disembarked in St.Martin.

I look forward to your Full disclosure review of the Christmas Cruise,2012

my wife and i got sick on the cruise. we thought about jumping ship also [transfering] to those who heard,saw and felt no discomfort.....wow.......to us that were sick.....wower. a smoke in cabin warning made us say to each WHAT NEXT......PIRATES. IT WAS NOT ONE OF OUR BEST CRUISES BUT IT WAS ON THE QM2 [and that helped]:D

my wife and i got sick on the cruise. we thought about jumping ship also [transfering] to those who heard,saw and felt no discomfort.....wow.......to us that were sick.....wower. a smoke in cabin warning made us say to each WHAT NEXT......PIRATES. IT WAS NOT ONE OF OUR BEST CRUISES BUT IT WAS ON THE QM2 [and that helped]:D

Sorry about your experience, but as you said you were on the QM2.That's good. I did 3 caribbean cruises on the QM2 a few years ago, and there were outbreaks of the Noro Virus.

Pirates next?

The Captain & Crew did an extraordinary job containing the noro outbreak. The Crew worked around the clock to limit it's spread; many thanks to them. At the end of the day though noro is a risk you take when you cruise; not pleasant, but you have to roll with it.

The Captain & Crew did an extraordinary job containing the noro outbreak. The Crew worked around the clock to limit it's spread; many thanks to them. At the end of the day though noro is a risk you take when you cruise; not pleasant, but you have to roll with it.

i agree. we will still sail on the QM2 again

It was indeed a wonderful Caribbean Fiesta, and, yes, there was the norovirus but I did not catch it. Neither did 90 percent of the others on board. I appreciate the review of the trip by figment9999 and can never fathom the gratuitous contrarian comments of a certain infamous and boring poster who shall remain unnamed.

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

It was indeed a wonderful Caribbean Fiesta, and, yes, there was the norovirus but I did not catch it. Neither did 90 percent of the others on board. I appreciate the review of the trip by figment9999 and can never fathom the gratuitous contrarian comments of a certain infamous and boring poster who shall remain unnamed.

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

That's the spirit, Don, Lord Kay of Shadon, don't name names! - Just cast a wide range of suspicon.

Happy you did not "catch it", but are you sure 90 percent of your fellow passengers were as lucky as you were? Only those passengers and crew members who reported to the Medical Centre were counted in the number of those on board with gastro-intestional illnes. Do you believe that all reported their condition to the Medical Centre?

Happy you had a wonderful Caribbean Fiesta, Don, Lord Kay from South Carolina.

-S.

That's the spirit, Don, Lord Kay of Shadon, don't name names! - Just cast a wide range of suspicon.

Happy you did not "catch it", but are you sure 90 percent of your fellow passengers were as lucky as you were? Only those passengers and crew members who reported to the Medical Centre were counted in the number of those on board with gastro-intestional illnes. Do you believe that all reported their condition to the Medical Centre?

Happy you had a wonderful Caribbean Fiesta, Don, Lord Kay of Sandon.

-S.

Salacia, I believe that Sir Martin has taken over your keyboard again. Its the Lord Kay of Shandon!

Sorry. My mistake. Where I live, the title of "Lord" does not roll off the keyboard easily.

Don't worry. I have enough trouble remembering how to spell "Salacia" as it is not a word I have encountered before. I just use my own name as it is easy. But what drew you to "Salacia" as a screen name?

Don't worry. I have enough trouble remembering how to spell "Salacia" as it is not a word I have encountered before. I just use my own name as it is easy. But what drew you to "Salacia" as a screen name?

Roman Mythology.

Roman Mythology.

Oh yes, I have looked it up and Salacia was the goddess of the seas, and a beautiful nymph who bore Neptune 3 children. But I do not think you mentioned having children? Well I must not keep you from your rest as I know that it must be very late over in New York at this time.

Oh yes, I have looked it up and Salacia was the goddess of the seas, and a beautiful nymph who bore Neptune 3 children. But I do not think you mentioned having children? Well I must not keep you from your rest as I know that it must be very late over in New York at this time.

Louise D, 11:22 pm is not considered very late in New York, but thanks again for your concern and gracious attitude.

Archived