Liquuor

pvbbrennan

HAL appears to turn the other cheek on putting liquor/wine inside your checked bags.

Carnival x-rays inbound luggage and seizes all liquor the find.

On one HAL cruise we went on, I purchased a 1/2gal of Seagrams at a liquor store in San Diego. The clerk mistakenly cracked the cap when removing the security cap and the whole darn think leaked into our luggage. Cabin had the smell of a bar fly for the entire cruise.

We used Rum Runners on our next cruise.

My dh bought 2 bottles of Cognac to bring home from our last cruise because the prices on HAL are actually the same or cheaper for some things than buying the exact same product in Canada.

I would also like to add that bubble wrap is a marvelous thing to wrap bottles in. Put an extra strip around the neck of the bottle. Wrapping all of that in a plastic bag and then tape the bag and that should stop any leakage.

Dh has a small suitcase that has a very hard backing that fits a bottle of champagne in it's box very nicely.

You do not have to pack wine and champagne in your suitcases.

HAL allows you to carry as many bottles on board as you want of these items. Some people take on cases.

Liquor prices vary widely by State. Florida liquor prices are at least 50% higher than in CA. Since you can't bring liquor in a carry on and I would never pack liquor in my checked luggage, the prices on HAL don't seem as outrageous as I originally thought.

We just got off the Westy's Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.

I took a full bottle of Absinthe & 6 travel bottles. The full bottle was w me for carry on and the travels were in the checked luggage. All made it on board and 5 of the 6 travels & 2/3rd the full bottle came home with us. We're not heavy drinkers by any mean, Absinthe is a great night cap.

HAL doesn't sell Absinthe, if they did you can bet they'd bleed you dry like the prices they have for everything else.

Derek

Archived