Punchliner Brunch?

KimtheCruiser

Sailing on the Magic in Feb., and looking forward to the comedy brunch. DH especially wants to try the huevos rancheros. Do you remember the hours for the brunch? Were there lines to get in? Thanks.

The times vary per ship....just got off of the Breeze and it was from 8:30-1:00, with the 10 minute shows at 9-10-11-12. The huevos rancheros as well as the flaming tomato soup were very good. Tried the frosted flake encrusted french toast the second time we went and it was good. Two thick slices, unlike the thin regular ones you get up on Lido. The lines were practically non existent and you can use you free drink coupon at the stand outside the entrance to get a GREAT bloody mary....spiced up to your specifications.

So are you saying they NO longer serve a sit down lunch on the Splendor?

Only a brunch...?:(

Please let us know...we sail to Bermuda on 4/16/13

So sad that there are no venues for a nice lunch unless you consider standing in buffet lines while your hot food gets cold while you try to find a seat, or what looks like a very limited menu at punchliners..mostly breakfast

items. While I really enjoy a buffet lunch or breakfast some days it's nice to enjoy a sit down meal, especially on an 8 day cruise. Without these options the buffet lines get longer & longer. TOO BAD!

So sad that there are no venues for a nice lunch unless you consider standing in buffet lines while your hot food gets cold while you try to find a seat, or what looks like a very limited menu at punchliners..mostly breakfast

items. While I really enjoy a buffet lunch or breakfast some days it's nice to enjoy a sit down meal, especially on an 8 day cruise. Without these options the buffet lines get longer & longer. TOO BAD!

At Punchliner's there are 12 choices on the menu, 8 are skewed towards breakfast and 4 are skewed towards lunch. If you don't like standing in a buffet line, then don't do it. Go to one of many cooked to order locations like 1) Guy's Burgers 2) Mongolian Wok 3)Deli 4) Burrito Bar or Blue Iguana Cantina 5) Pizza 6) Pasta Bar or Cucina del Capitano. There's six different choices and even if the ship you're on does not have some of those options, there are options on every Carnival ship for lunch besides having to stand in a buffet line. So please don't say "So sad that there are no venues for a nice lunch ", when in reality the exact opposite is true.

On our recent 6 day Breeze cruise, I only did the buffet 2 times out of a possible 18 meals, and both were on the Lido for breakfast, once before going ashore and on disembarkation day, so that means I avoided a buffet line 89% of the time.

We will be on the Splendor which does not have many of the options you have listed, and most of those options are counter service restaurants requiring you to stand in line with a tray & & navigate yourself to an available table not much different than a buffet line except limited to one particular type of food. It's not that I think these options are a bad idea, it's just that I miss the option of sitting down & being waited on one course at a time without having my entree get cold while I'm eating my soup. The sandwiches at the Deli are delicious but last time we were on the Pride the lines were very long & it was very hard to actually eat together unless everyone in our group wanted the same type of food so we could sit down at the same time. It seemed that by the time some of us got our food others were already finished making it impossible to have a nice leisurely lunch together. I'm hoping that the puncliner brunch will be an option we will enjoy for this type of meal.

We will be on the Splendor which does not have many of the options you have listed, and most of those options are counter service restaurants requiring you to stand in line with a tray & & navigate yourself to an available table not much different than a buffet line except limited to one particular type of food. It's not that I think these options are a bad idea, it's just that I miss the option of sitting down & being waited on one course at a time without having my entree get cold while I'm eating my soup. The sandwiches at the Deli are delicious but last time we were on the Pride the lines were very long & it was very hard to actually eat together unless everyone in our group wanted the same type of food so we could sit down at the same time. It seemed that by the time some of us got our food others were already finished making it impossible to have a nice leisurely lunch together. I'm hoping that the puncliner brunch will be an option we will enjoy for this type of meal.

I agree with you Carnival does seem to be lacking in this area. DH and I personally love the choices of our upcoming cruise because thats the type of lunches we enjoy. But I do have to say I am a little intimidated by the thought of 2000+ passengers all on the lido deck trying to get lunch at the same times.

I do know family members that the lack of sit down venues would be a definate con for. They enjoy a sit down be served lunch as well.

Most people seem to really like the new menu that comes with the brunch.
*Most* people do not. Very poorly attended last week, and those that we did see there went striaght to Lido for more food, ourselves included.

The PP is correct, it is a disaster.

Actually, my issue was not with breakfast but with lunch.

Other than the Punchliners brunch there is no longer a place to sit down & order lunch from a menu together with your travelling companions after you are seated at a table, rather than getting a tray which you carry yourself to a table at which you must try to find each other after you've gotten your food.

Sometimes you spend more time trying to find each other while you're walking around with with your tray than you do eating your lunch. After everyone gets there food from different stations be it deli, burger, salad, it is sometimes difficult to find a table together & nearly impossible to eat at the same time. It's much more relaxing to all sit down together & order individually & have someone serve you all at the same time than vice versa

*Most* statistics are made up. :p

*Most* people complained because the breakfast menu never changed.

I know *most* (*all*?) of what I have ever ordered at breakfast is still available at Punchliner's. I *always* left Punchliner's stuffed.

I think some people just like to complain. ;)

Actually, my issue was not with breakfast but with lunch.

Other than the Punchliners brunch there is no longer a place to sit down & order lunch from a menu together with your travelling companions after you are seated at a table, rather than getting a tray which you carry yourself to a table at which you must try to find each other after you've gotten your food.

Sometimes you spend more time trying to find each other while you're walking around with with your tray than you do eating your lunch. After everyone gets there food from different stations be it deli, burger, salad, it is sometimes difficult to find a table together & nearly impossible to eat at the same time. It's much more relaxing to all sit down together & order individually & have someone serve you all at the same time than vice versa

I don't think you will have that problem. I think most trays have disappeared from Carnival ships. ;)

The SA cruise is special and they may well do something different for lunch. They had a number of different lunch menus for the last SA cruise. They may or may not for the upcoming one.

But it is a repositioning cruise and one of the reasons it is relatively cheap on a per diem basis. If Carnival did it on a regular basis, they would have to make some changes. But on a one shot deal?

One thing you can plan on is for a given leg of the trip, each nght's dinner menu will be different with wider choices of for than you will get on shorter cruises, including more steaks!

I agree with you also. I'm not a fan of the Punchliner Brunch, my DH was.

On the Splendor, there are still trays at the buffet. What we do is we find a table, one of us sits while the others get their food, then the other goes.

Not ideal but it's better than walking around with your tray of food, looking for a table.

I miss the MDR lunches.

I miss the MDR lunches.

Having cruised on Carnival 17 times over the past 25 years, I always thought that the MDR lunches were an absolute joke. The Punchliner brunch, on the other hand, does offer most of the usual breakfast options, plus tomato soup or caesar salad as a starter, as well as 4 different lunch entree options for those that prefer to be served a sit down style lunch.

If it is that much of a deal breaker for you, choose one of the ships that has the pasta bar lunch option and you'll be able to enjoy your sit down lunch everyday of your cruise and not have the same meal twice.

Having cruised on Carnival 17 times over the past 25 years, I always thought that the MDR lunches were an absolute joke. The Punchliner brunch, on the other hand, does offer most of the usual breakfast options, plus tomato soup or caesar salad as a starter, as well as 4 different lunch entree options for those that prefer to be served a sit down style lunch.

If it is that much of a deal breaker for you, choose one of the ships that has the pasta bar lunch option and you'll be able to enjoy your sit down lunch everyday of your cruise and not have the same meal twice.

I never said it was a deal breaker, I said I was not a fan. So because you think the MDR lunches are a joke, everyone should?

I don't like eating breakfast for lunch. There are four lunch options at Brunch.

At least with the MDR lunch, the options changed everyday except for the regular items.

I think it was 11-2 on sea days, only 2 on the Dream. The Salmon was outstanding. My hus. have filet mignon and eggs, great too. Slow service, they waiters seemed so stressed in general on the Dream.

(Been on it 2 times bef.)

It is just to push comedy shows. The lines want to get rid of live music and use comedians. Much cheaper. (ugh)

Whats funny is that ( at least in my exp on the dream) the comedy shows were so packed and needed no "pushing". :confused:

Just got off Dream today and yes, they were only on sea days. And we feel it was one of the best meals we had on this sailing. Enjoy! :)

Good to hear. What did you have? I am looking forward to trying it. We are not much on breakfast or lunch in the MDR. Lido is easier and has more variety- IMO- for those meals. But I think I will try punch liner brunch, as the menu seems pretty decent. There are atleast a few things I would like to try.

Good to hear. What did you have? I am looking forward to trying it. We are not much on breakfast or lunch in the MDR. Lido is easier and has more variety- IMO- for those meals. But I think I will try punch liner brunch, as the menu seems pretty decent. There are atleast a few things I would like to try.

We went twice. DW loved the french toast I enjoyed the steak dish (forgot what they called it) and spicy egg dish.

Also had different breads than usual.

Thought the comedy part was useless but the food was very good.

I never said it was a deal breaker, I said I was not a fan. So because you think the MDR lunches are a joke, everyone should?

I don't like eating breakfast for lunch. There are four lunch options at Brunch.

At least with the MDR lunch, the options changed everyday except for the regular items.

I totally agree. Why is it a joke to want to sit down & order lunch from a menu & all get your food at the same time. Not saying that having the buffet & poolside options & the punchliner are bad things but they should be in addition to mdr lunch not instead of. My husband is perfectly fine with a burger at the pool every day. Me not so much. At least in the MDR he could always order a burger & I had other options without having to go to 2 separate dining areas. Just sayin!

We went twice. DW loved the french toast I enjoyed the steak dish (forgot what they called it) and spicy egg dish.

Also had different breads than usual.

Thought the comedy part was useless but the food was very good.

I'm looking forward to brunch at punchliners, especially since my hubby is not a big fan of breakfast..especially early.

btw, we are not going on a repositioning cruise but 8 days out of NYC.

My Dad & I went to the punchliners brunch all 3 sea days. The lemon pound cake and chocolate muffins in the bread basket were really yummy. I had the huevos rancheros, the steak and eggs and the froot loop crusted french toast. (not at the same time. LOL) Everything I got was very good and a nice change from the regular breakfast menu. I would have love to tried the carmel cheesecake, but never had room. Go for the food though. as others have said the comedy aspect is lacking. 2 of the times we went, we didn't even see a comedian athough I saw them all in the punchliner club at night so I don't feel like I missed anything.

Well, enjoy your sit down lunch options on your Princess and NCL cruises, because you'll be stuck with the Punchliner Brunch on your sea days over Thanksgiving when you cruise on the Miracle.

For the people complaining about the brunch please note that it is only for 2 or 3 days on a cruise and the other port days you get a sit down breakfast.

I have been critical of many cutbacks Carnival has done recently but this is an improvement.

For the people complaining about the brunch please note that it is only for 2 or 3 days on a cruise and the other port days you get a sit down breakfast.

I have been critical of many cutbacks Carnival has done recently but this is an improvement.

Alas...but no sit down lunch..or like I like to call it table service lunch. After all it's not like you have to stand up & eat your lunch lol! Looking forward to Punchliner's brunch. I hear the bloody Mary's are a must!

IMO the whole thing is a disaster.

Hardly a disaster when you can get Filet Mignon and two eggs for breakfast! :D

Yes, the comedy portion is more of a commercial for the comedy club but the food is good and we met several nice folks when we dined there last week on the Magic.

Archived