Need help deciding between NY hotels

sissie94

We are flying into Laguardia on 10/7 & leaving on our cruise 10/10 which gives us 3 nights in a hotel. It is our first time in NY. Trying to keep the budget down but still want a clean place to stay. Had found 2 hotels in NJ that looked good and the reviews said there is a bus stop right across the street from both.

La Quinta 350 Lighting Way Secaucus, NJ 07094 $149

Hampton Inn 250 Harmon Meadow Blvd Secaucus, NJ 07094 $169

I was ready to book one of them but then I started reading post about transportation from Laguardia could be expensive w/ tolls because you have to cross over into Jersey.

Also found another small place in Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill and West Harlem neighborhood for $205/night with a subway station one street over. Not saying where because it's very small.

Does anyone know about how much the transportation to Secaucus from Laguardia would be? How long is the commute to downtown area using the bus/subway from each option. Is there a lot of hassle involved w/ staying in NJ or are we better off w/ staying at the other property. We aren't opposed to using public transportation to have a clean room in our price range.

If you're flying into LaGuardia and are looking for more budget accommodations, you should be looking for a hotel in Queens with good subway access. My guess is that you will pay at least $100 more to take a car service to NJ and back into NY for the cruise than you will to take a NY cab to a Queens hotel and a cab to the pier.

Let's get some suggestions from the New Yorkers. The only thing I'm seeing is a 2.5* Chelsea hotel that is likely to be the Best Western Convention Center for $200 including breakfast. When you consider all the transportation costs and inconvenience of getting to NJ and then going in and out of NYC for several days, this would be well within your budget and would put you in Manhattan and give you more flexibility and options.

Rates are great at Country Inns and it is located close to a subway that takes you quickly into Manhattan. However, you need to read the Tripadvisor reviews before you decide. I've stayed in some hotels in Brooklyn that sound like this hotel and I've lived in NYC outside of Manhattan, so I would probably stay at this hotel given its price and proximity to midtown.

Did you use Kayak? I see the Best Western Times Square for $239 when I put in your dates. I am sure there are others, didn't look closely. Which port are you leaving from? If you are not leaving from NJ, and flying into LaG, a NJ hotel makes no sense to me. Don't know much about the West Harlem property except that it way up town and not near anything.

We are flying into Laguardia on 10/7 & leaving on our cruise 10/10 which gives us 3 nights in a hotel. It is our first time in NY. Trying to keep the budget down but still want a clean place to stay. Had found 2 hotels in NJ that looked good and the reviews said there is a bus stop right across the street from both.

La Quinta 350 Lighting Way Secaucus, NJ 07094 $149

Hampton Inn 250 Harmon Meadow Blvd Secaucus, NJ 07094 $169

I was ready to book one of them but then I started reading post about transportation from Laguardia could be expensive w/ tolls because you have to cross over into Jersey.

Also found another small place in Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill and West Harlem neighborhood for $205/night with a subway station one street over. Not saying where because it's very small.

Does anyone know about how much the transportation to Secaucus from Laguardia would be? How long is the commute to downtown area using the bus/subway from each option. Is there a lot of hassle involved w/ staying in NJ or are we better off w/ staying at the other property. We aren't opposed to using public transportation to have a clean room in our price range.

Thanks for the input. I decided to book The hotel @ times square for $275. Close to everything, included breakfast and decent reviews. Just was trying to see if it was worth the saving a couple hundred to stay further away and commute in but was able to rationalize to DH why it was worth the extra for the convenience of being closer to everything.

I am looking at this for a 5 night stay in July for my daughter and grandaughter who will be attending a dance class at Radio City Music Hall. How far is a subway stop, is it walkable and fairly easy to find? It sounds good for their purpose. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

To find out your taxi fare. As a NYC resident, I guess that the distance from LaGuardia Airport is about 1.5 miles to Long Island City and about 3.5 miles from Long Island City to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There are plenty of official yellow cabs to take you from the airport and I am sure that your hotel can get you a cab to the ship.

To find out your taxi fare. As a NYC resident, I guess that the distance from LaGuardia Airport is about 1.5 miles to Long Island City and about 3.5 miles from Long Island City to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There are plenty of official yellow cabs to take you from the airport and I am sure that your hotel can get you a cab to the ship.

Thanks. will check it out

Archived