An Oceania Novice Falls in Love with the Riviera

HeatherInFlorida

heather, your mention of the Cunard Countess in the 80's brought back pleasant memories of our early cruising experiences. we took the Countess out of San Juan with stops in Caracas,Grenada, St. Lucia, & St Thomas. It was the early days of. The cruising industry & would be considered small ship cruising by today's standards. But,that's another story. We sailed on the Riviera for its maiden TA. A beautiful & well designed ship. I'm glad that others enjoy so much as we did.

heather, your mention of the Cunard Countess in the 80's brought back pleasant memories of our early cruising experiences. we took the Countess out of San Juan with stops in Caracas,Grenada, St. Lucia, & St Thomas. It was the early days of. The cruising industry & would be considered small ship cruising by today's standards. But,that's another story. We sailed on the Riviera for its maiden TA. A beautiful & well designed ship. I'm glad that others enjoy so much as we did.

That's the one! :) We took that itinerary in 1982 as a "Sail and Stay". You could get off in Barbados or St. Lucia and stay a week at 2 hotels Cunard owned (Paradise Beach in Barbados; La Toc in St. Lucia which is now a Sandals). It was quite small, about 650 people I think and you got to know everyone.

We took a different itinerary out of San Juan on the Countess in 1988, slightly different itinerary. Cruising was very different back then and lacked the luxury of today, but they sure were fun!!!

On the Riviera we felt much of the excitement we felt when we first began cruising even though it was different. Loved it ... but I think I've said that more than few times;).

Tropical pattern shirts for both women and men are perfect for warm weather cruises, especially in the Caribbean. My husband owns two and does not tuck them in. I have a light jacket with a print of tropical flowers.

As my first Oceania voyage is still at anchor I can only add to this thread that Aloha shirts can be worn in or out on men. I wear mine out but tucked they do present a bit more of a dressy look. My own closet is wall to wall with Aloha shirts and they will be represented in all their colorful, mat, glory when I embark Marina in April for Pacific Mysteries. :cool:

As my first Oceania voyage is still at anchor I can only add to this thread that Aloha shirts can be worn in or out on men. I wear mine out but tucked they do present a bit more of a dressy look. My own closet is wall to wall with Aloha shirts and they will be represented in all their colorful, mat, glory when I embark Marina in April for Pacific Mysteries. :cool:

Sppok1, Auwe! You of all people should know that Hawaiian formal dress consists of a clean and decent Aloha shirt (worn out), your best board shorts, and an "upscale" pair of slippahs. :D

:p:p:p:p

Sppok1, Auwe! You of all people should know that Hawaiian formal dress consists of a clean and decent Aloha shirt (worn out), your best board shorts, and an "upscale" pair of slippahs. :D

ALOHA 1...My formal dress consists of a flowered lavalava, shark's tooth necklace, and a coconut hat once owned by the COCKEYED MAYOR OF KAUNAKAKAI. No "upscale slippahs" on my "Kanaka feet".

Afternoon tea, anyone? :p

Archived