Crown Princess Western Caribbean

AlaskaDay

We are sailing on Crown Princess in April was wondering if you can purchase tickets to the chair lift to Mahogany Bay at the port or do you need to purchase an excursion for this? Princess has an excursion listed for $10 per person for the chair lift. Thanks.

We didn't take the chair lift, but we saw a ticket booth that sells them, so I guess you can get them either way. Maybe someone knows if the price is the same, as we didn't check out the price at the booth. I think the price is for all day.

This chairlift connects the Mahogany Bay shopping area with the beach. A day's pass with unlimited rides is $12 for adults and $7 for children. The walk to the beach only takes about 10 minutes from the ship and is free.

http://cruises.about.com/od/caribbeancruises/ig/Roatan-Honduras/Mahogany-Bay-Roatan-1479.htm

This chairlift connects the Mahogany Bay shopping area with the beach. A day's pass with unlimited rides is $12 for adults and $7 for children. The walk to the beach only takes about 10 minutes from the ship and is free.

http://cruises.about.com/od/caribbeancruises/ig/Roatan-Honduras/Mahogany-Bay-Roatan-1479.htm

Thanks, Caribill. My League City neighbor [we live in Friendswood] has a wealth of cruising knowledge. Looks like it's cheaper to book the chair lift as an excursion.

The price I found was for "unlimited rides." Do you know if the ship's pass is "unlimited" or maybe one way or roundtrip?

The ship excursion is also unlimited. It's hard to believe the ship's price is cheaper than the onshore price, but that's what it looks like.

The walk to the beach area is easy; was just there on the 1/5-12 cruise. However, when you get off the ship and begin your walk into the port area, you'll see a BIG, white lettered signage within a gardened area to welcome you to Mahogany Bay (or did it say Roatan??) Nevertheless, you will see it/can't miss it. But when standing in front of it look to your right, along the front edge of the garden area and you'll see an entrance to a nature path. It is really lovely and not a difficult walk. It had rained that AM and had a little bit of mud in some places but you could easily get around it without gooping up your shoes. Nice views of the ship; very shaded and cool; neat look-out places; swings to stop and rest as well as benches. When you get to the end of the trail, you are at the bridge to cross to the beach area.

Unless you just like riding chairlifts, really want to purchase your picture riding it with your ship in the background, or have a difficult time walking--I'd save the money for a souvenier or cool beverage! It seems the distance you walk from the ship to get onto the lift is about the same distance the lift takes you from beginning to end (maybe not, but that's how I felt when walking it).

Archived