Princess Island Embara Indian tour

osofish2

We will be going through the Panama canal in April, and were interested in this tour. Does anyone know if this goes to an "authentic" village, or to a recreated site? We wanted to visit a truly authentic site. Has anyone gone on this tour, or a private tour that might meet our needs. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I did read the threads, and did some research, but wanted specific information about the Princess excursions. I did read that each tour may could visit different villages, but we do not want to go to the "recreated" one.

Thanks for the info. I did read the threads, and did some research, but wanted specific information about the Princess excursions. I did read that each tour may could visit different villages, but we do not want to go to the "recreated" one.

Richard in Panama is the expert in this department and I'm sure he will see this sooner or later... But to get you started looking you may wish to look up Anne Gordon who is associated with Embera Puru which is probably the village you are looking for. On the other hand Embera Drua is more on the recreated side but it is basically authentic.... just a few more creature comforts particularly for the visitors. Tours from the ships can use one of several villages and there is not a way to tell which one you would use unless you booked with Anne.

http://www.emberavillagetours.com/

We will be going through the Panama canal in April, and were interested in this tour. Does anyone know if this goes to an "authentic" village, or to a recreated site? We wanted to visit a truly authentic site. Has anyone gone on this tour, or a private tour that might meet our needs. Thanks.

There are about 5 different villages that the tour companies use. Princess and Holland usually go to Embera Puru on their all day Authentic Embera Village Tours IF conditions permit.

A little background. The Canal operates on fresh water. Panama gets an enormous amount of rain and that's what makes the Canal possible. Gatun Lake stores an enormous amount of water and Alajuela Lake [Madden Lake] higher up the Chagres River stores a reserve of fresh water. To get to Embera Puru you board a dug out canoe, cross Alajeula Lake and then go up the San Juan de Pequini River to get to the village. Panama has two seasons - the rainy season or "green season" May to December when we get most of our rain and the dry season or "less rainy" season January to April when we get less rain. During the dry season the Canal often needs more water so sometimes overnight they can draw 2 or 3 feet of water off of Alajuela Lake which causes the river to drop. All of that means that during the dry season and particularly at the end of the dry season, i.e. April, Embera Puru is often accessible only by foot walking up the dry river bed, or the river is too low to use the boats. In which case the tour company takes you to another village.

Which is the most "authentic"? I think Embera Puru, and not just because my friends who live there say, "We are the REAL Embera!" The closest village in, Embera Duru is IMHO very touristy. Nice, tiled bathrooms with flush toilets and it will get 3 or 4 groups of tourists a day. [Always reminds me of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii!] Sure, it is a real Embera village where people do live, etc. Embera Puru may get 2 or 3 groups a month when it is accessible. And there are other villages as well. The short tours that "stop" at an Embera Village and do the locks and a bunch of other stuff on a half day tour generally go to a "demonstration" village.

Osofish2, whichever village you go to it will be an interesting and informative trip, but the likelihood is that in April, end of the dry season, you will be unable to get to Embera Puru. If you are going on your own you can check with Anne Gordon at EmberaVillageTours.com [Embera Puru is where her inlaws live] and she can tell you what is available at that time of year. Unfortunately, rainy or dry season, there is no way of knowing which village you will go to for sure on the all day tour. I have started out from the ship where we all thought we were going to Embera Puru and on the bus the guide got a call saying the Canal is pulling off 2 feet of water and the river is dropping so you'll have to go to another village.

The Canal rules in Panama.

Regards, Richard

There are about 5 different villages that the tour companies use. Princess and Holland usually go to Embera Puru on their all day Authentic Embera Village Tours IF conditions permit.

A little background. The Canal operates on fresh water. Panama gets an enormous amount of rain and that's what makes the Canal possible. Gatun Lake stores an enormous amount of water and Alajuela Lake [Madden Lake] higher up the Chagres River stores a reserve of fresh water. To get to Embera Puru you board a dug out canoe, cross Alajeula Lake and then go up the San Juan de Pequini River to get to the village. Panama has two seasons - the rainy season or "green season" May to December when we get most of our rain and the dry season or "less rainy" season January to April when we get less rain. During the dry season the Canal often needs more water so sometimes overnight they can draw 2 or 3 feet of water off of Alajuela Lake which causes the river to drop. All of that means that during the dry season and particularly at the end of the dry season, i.e. April, Embera Puru is often accessible only by foot walking up the dry river bed, or the river is too low to use the boats. In which case the tour company takes you to another village.

Which is the most "authentic"? I think Embera Puru, and not just because my friends who live there say, "We are the REAL Embera!" The closest village in, Embera Duru is IMHO very touristy. Nice, tiled bathrooms with flush toilets and it will get 3 or 4 groups of tourists a day. [Always reminds me of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii!] Sure, it is a real Embera village where people do live, etc. Embera Puru may get 2 or 3 groups a month when it is accessible. And there are other villages as well. The short tours that "stop" at an Embera Village and do the locks and a bunch of other stuff on a half day tour generally go to a "demonstration" village.

Osofish2, whichever village you go to it will be an interesting and informative trip, but the likelihood is that in April, end of the dry season, you will be unable to get to Embera Puru. If you are going on your own you can check with Anne Gordon at EmberaVillageTours.com [Embera Puru is where her inlaws live] and she can tell you what is available at that time of year. Unfortunately, rainy or dry season, there is no way of knowing which village you will go to for sure on the all day tour. I have started out from the ship where we all thought we were going to Embera Puru and on the bus the guide got a call saying the Canal is pulling off 2 feet of water and the river is dropping so you'll have to go to another village.

The Canal rules in Panama.

Regards, Richard

Thanks much for so much excellent info-just what we were looking for. We never factored time of year in at all. We will be booking all our excursions with Princess this time, just to avoid those ship leaving without you worries. We are very much looking forward to our cruise. Thank you!

Archived