Trains Do It, Airplanes Do It, Ferry Boats Do It, Why Not Cruise Ships?

LEAVE ON TIME........

I just watched a Smithsonian Channel show about the maiden voyage of the Oasis - yeah, I know, old news. However, when it came time to leave Saint Martin, several passengers were not onboard at all aboard time, nor were all the passengers onboard at departure time. The ship waited for them, and was an hour late leaving port. That put the ship behind schedule for reaching the next port and resulted in burning $45,000 worth of extra fuel to make up the lost time.:eek:

I don't know the situation that you are referring to, but I'm aware of several instances where ships have waited for 15 minutes past their normal departure time for passengers, and then have retrived certain documents from the passengers cabin, given them to the port agent, and have cast off and left, leaving passengers behind.

So, what I would say is that every other method of transportation, is not like a floating hotel room, and the passengers have documentation with them if left behind on a train, plane, or ferry boat.

Which brings up another point, of why it's important, especially if one is going for a whole day tour, to take the ships tour, and not an independent tour. The ship will wait for a ships tour, if it's late, but not for the individual, as pointed out above.

And as far as the Oasis waiting for an hour for passengers, do you know what circumstances forced the Oasis to wait that period of time??

Rick

I watched that too! And I also suspect they waited due to filming...

I've been on ships that waited and guess I just assume its because of a ship tour...

I've also been on ships that didn't wait and gotten my jollies out of watching the runners... :)

It was interesting on this show to see the constant contact between the gangway and the captain as they counted down the missing passengers..

We watched over 200 people come back to the ship up to 30 minutes after All Aboard in Costa Maya. I so wanted them to pull up the gangway just to watch the look on the faces of the people left behind. Also made us mad since we got back to the ship 30 minutes early to avoid missing the ship. Not fair to those who follow the rules.

We were on Rhadsody a few years ago and the ship waited an hour for 2 passengers who hadn't returned. They weren't on a ships tour, just independantly shopping and raced to the dock just as the ship was pulling away. Luckily a fisherman was able to bring them out in his boat and they were able to board to much applause from everyone on deck! :p

The guy they were waiting on was the millionaire that they were searching FLL before departing for smokes for him as he forgot his...

I imagine the only reason they waited was the PR mess of "Oasis inaugural sailing leaves passengers behind"

We all boo'ed him from Deck 16 when he finally sauntered on board if it makes a difference ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over our 7 cruises we've seen 5 folks left at the pier and twice our departure from a port was delayed. The departure delays only occurred when RCL sponsored trips were late. The folks left on the pier were doing their own thing.

It might just be me, but I find it disturbing that everyone always assumes passengers who were late were so because of their "own" dis-concern over other passengers or for situations within their controls.

There are many times someone is late because something happens on a ship sponsored tour. Do you know those that are late were in fact not on this type of tour?

Even well intentioned, respectful people who plan on being back to the ship with 1-2 hours to spare get caught in situations they did not expect.

I know there are those that were shopping or drinking and time got away from them, I just don't believe that is always the situation.

I also don't know why it bugs me so much--I have never been the person who missed the ship or a runner for that respect. I did have to deal with my parents one time being the last on ship and that stressed me out....but they were still there just minutes before the time that was posted. I have joked about running--but I consider it "running" to the ship when there is 1 hour left. (for me, anyway).

As for the question of leaving on time. I agree with others that planes are not on time..and they do wait (at the capt's discretion) for connections that are late. I have been that person many times--especially in O'Hare. I also agree that there is a difference, in most cases if someone misses their plane, there is another one within a few hours to get them to their destination. The same is not true with a cruise ship.

I'm sure if you're staying in the Royal Loft Suite (1,600 sq ft most expensive stateroom on the ship) and you're a high profile guest worth millions, and the staff knows you're worth millions (if I remember correctly the program called him a Royal Prince) and you are doing a lot of onboard spending, they will most certainly wait for you.

Many times if you are checked in for flight, then not at the gate, they need to search for your luggage and remove it, I always wondered why this was not the case on a ship.

I don't know how much I believe the story about all the extra fuel used. "resulted in burning $45,000 worth of extra fuel ". We have had captains tell us many ports are close enough to each other they need to make a couple loops to arrive at the pier on schedule and not early.

We watched over 200 people come back to the ship up to 30 minutes after All Aboard in Costa Maya. I so wanted them to pull up the gangway just to watch the look on the faces of the people left behind. Also made us mad since we got back to the ship 30 minutes early to avoid missing the ship. Not fair to those who follow the rules.

They did do that when I was on Navigator in 09 in Cozumel. At that time the ship was staying on Florida time and warned people that Cozumel was an hour behind. Even when it was more than an hour after all-aboard time and people knew they were at least a little late they still were leasurily strolling back. A couple of times the crew had their fun pulling up the gangway and making people run. All of us on balconies were yelling at the people to run. It was great fun.

Before I clicked this thread I thought the answer was going to be "Carry cargo to different ports to make extra profits" :cool:

When I was on the Indy this past December. We were in port with Adventure of the Seas. As the Adventure was preparing to leave they were waiting for 4 guests. They ended up taking the passports off the ship and gave them to the local authorities. The 4 guests showed up as the Adventure was backing up and turning to leave.

LEAVE ON TIME........

I just watched a Smithsonian Channel show about the maiden voyage of the Oasis - yeah, I know, old news. However, when it came time to leave Saint Martin, several passengers were not onboard at all aboard time, nor were all the passengers onboard at departure time. The ship waited for them, and was an hour late leaving port. That put the ship behind schedule for reaching the next port and resulted in burning $45,000 worth of extra fuel to make up the lost time.:eek:

Where are you from that all airline always leave on time?

When I was on the Indy this past December. We were in port with Adventure of the Seas. As the Adventure was preparing to leave they were waiting for 4 guests. They ended up taking the passports off the ship and gave them to the local authorities. The 4 guests showed up as the Adventure was backing up and turning to leave.

Robert, was this in Labadee on the Dec 16th cruise? I was on the Dec. 16th Indy cruise and when we were in Ocho Rios we were late leaving, can't recall the exact amount of time we were late, however we were hanging around on deck 5 outside watching the dock crew send us off and noticed a few officers hanging around the gangway with radios in hand. Then more than a few staff from the dining room, sorrentos, the shops etc. started showing up on Deck 5 watching and waiting...had to be about 20 or so minutes when about 20 people begin sprinting towards the ship and loud applause from all over the ship start to ring out. Turns out it was all staff, all RC employees who were on a tour and the ship waited for them...we asked the waiter that was looking out and all he said is..."they're in big trouble."

Not sure whatever panned out with that...anyone else on that cruise know?

I'd love to stay on Labadee for a few days. If I don't return to the ship, will it leave without me? ;) Labadee is our last stop :D

... At least you know another ship will be along in the next day or two.:D

Having said that, I wonder if have you a lesser chance of missing the board at Labadee or Coco Cay, since a) There are staff around who know you should be leaving and radio the ship and 2) They are willing to wait a little since they aren't paying docking fees.

To the OP's question... Every CD I have seen tells the same joke at the show on the first night: "If you don't get back on time, I hope you brought your camera. You'll get a great picture of the ship... as it sails away without you."

PS: There are videos on Youtube of people running for cruise ships. Usually to the amusement of the onlookers.

LEAVE ON TIME........

If a ships tour is late getting back because of blocked traffic the ship will wait. It happened to us in Panama and there were two buses that did not get back because of road problems.

Archived