The Baths Excursion

CruiseHappy3

Hi, We are booked on the Breeze in March and going to Tortola and Antigua for the first time, but not sure what excursions to take. Everyone mentions the Baths in Tortola, but I want to make sure it won't be a real exhausting walk (Plus size woman) down to the beach. Has anyone gone on the Snorkel to the Baths excusion with Carnival? Trying to decided between the two. Also, not sure what to do in Antigua. Is the city and beach excusion worth it? I appreciate all your ideas. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Carnival-Breeze-Rendering.jpg.89d41c068aad1bee3ffd515a2fe6e34b.jpg

Hi, We are booked on the Breeze in March and going to Tortola and Antigua for the first time, but not sure what excursions to take. Everyone mentions the Baths in Tortola, but I want to make sure it won't be a real exhausting walk (Plus size woman) down to the beach. Has anyone gone on the Snorkel to the Baths excusion with Carnival? Trying to decided between the two. Also, not sure what to do in Antigua. Is the city and beach excusion worth it? I appreciate all your ideas. Thanks. :rolleyes:

I would love to visit the baths as well. It's on my bucket list. Hopefully it gets crossed of next year!

We loved it!!! In our "top five" of all time. But there was a good bit of travel to get there. First a boat ride,then a van ride, finished off with a nice walk to the beach area and then a walk Thur caves and rocks to heaven. It was worth every minute and we hope to go back again someday.

We did an excursion to the baths where they take you by boat and drop you off near the shore. You have to swim up to the beach and climb thru the bath (boulders) to get to a very pretty beach on the other side. That beach has food and drinks too. It's not too bad exercise wise and my husband who is 6'6" and very broad shouldered had no problem getting through it either. They offer to let you skip that and ride with the crew in the boat to the beach on the other side. You can still walk over to the baths and check them out from the pretty beach side.;) We love love loved this excursion and want to do it again. I think next time I'll ride with the crew over to the beach next time though. The swim to the shore where the baths was is just a tad too far for me. But you should do it because its so unusual and unique and beautiful. :)

Most excursions to the Baths involve the 1/2 hr ferry or another boat ride to Spanishtown, a 15 min taxi to the Top of the Baths, and a walk down a natural path to the shore (that's also how you get there through the ship excursion). It can be a difficult walk down or up for someone with mobility issues. If you're in port long enough you can take a cat sail over with Joe at patouche (dot com) or perhaps a day sail with aristocat. It can be extremely dangerous swimming into shore on a day with a swell. But if you're on a boat that can sand-anchor in Devils bay you'll be fine.

Another option is to enjoy a nice beach on Tortola. Brewer's Bay has one beach bar and is nice, Cane Garden Bay has more amenities and will be packed. The Long Bay Resort is on a nice beach and they also offer a day pass for their pool and lounges for $20pp, for $45pp you also get 2 drinks and a burger. Taxi there is not cheap at $28pp roundtrip but beautiful beach (all beaches are free of course).

For Antigua we enjoyed 2 excursions -

The Excellence day sail is one of our favorite excursions anywhere, it's offered through Carnival as See Antigua by Sea - even if you don't snorkel it's a great way to see the beautiful coast and water and cruyise through English Harbor.

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/411023

We also enjoyed a land and beach tour with Lawrence of Antigua, very professional and flexible.

Have a great cruise!;)

Can anyone tell me if they think the baths would be too much for a senior couple 74 years old. We are just in normal condition for our age, but husband has had heart surgery a few years ago and stents so it can't be too hard.. Also daughter in law has a bad knee and would like to go if there isn't too many steps or ladders to climb. Please advise if you have been there. Also we are thinking about not going with RC and doing it on our own. Any advise would be wonderful. Are the baths worth seeing or is ther something else more interesting to see? Thanks for the help.

The Baths are unique and definitely worth seeing if you have time. And doing it on your own is very easy, just a short taxi from the ship to the ferry dock, 30 min ferry to Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda, and another short taxi to the Top of the Baths where there is a restaurant and small pool.

The path down to the beach is a natural path, not terribly difficult to navigate and not that long but you need to be careful in some spots. I don't know if the walk down or back up would be too much for your daughter. If it was she could wait for you at the top.

If you decide not to go a tour of Tortola would be nice, the taxis have hourly rates and you can include a beach stop as well.

But I would recommend the Baths, you two should be fine, and your daughter in law would enjoy seeing some of Virgin Gorda. If time permits have the driver drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe for stunning island views and a lunch, not far from the Baths.

I appreciate I'm out of line here but we wouldn't particularly recommend or return. We enjoyed our visit and particularly the catamaran ride over and the lovely views. Steps down to the beach were ok. There is a cafe on the beach but no other services to talk of. There seemed to be a problem with water to the toilets whilst we were there. My son went in the caves which seem to be gaps between rocks but lots of people were complaining that they felt unsafe in the caves and attributing this particularly to the volume of people and some people pushing their way through.

Not out of line at all RJ. Everyone has a different experience and it is much less enjoyable when with a herd of other cruisers. We go there when no ships are in port which is ideal of course.

The Baths are a group of boulders that look like they were strewn by someone other than us and there are grottos and wading pools that you can explore as you follow the trail to Devils Bay beach. Definitely not a problem following the trail, anfpd the return path up is better.

So no worries Lakeport, I think it is definitely worth taking the ferry for, and going on your own may get you there an hour earlier before the other cruisers. Or at least get you a taxi on your own on VG while everyone is being herded into their taxis. Going on your own can make the difference between a great day and a so-so day.

I didn't mention there are also daysails that go there if you can use them, Patouche is one (dot com), contact Joe through their e-mail to see if he can accommodate you. Very nice catamaran and better that the ferry.

Would love to see the Baths but not sure I want to go through the caves to Devil's beach. Is the beach at the bottom of the trail nice? We're off a cruise ship so assume it will be crowded. A day sail sounds wonderful but we don't have our own group. I'll contact Joe and see if we could join in with another group.

Yes just seeing the Baths from the beach is worth the visit. And not really caves but a bunch of boulders strewn along the beach...

Joe at Patouche may be able to help, and there are solo "operators" that hang around the ferry terminal and take folks over, we've never used them so cannot comment on licensing, insurance, etc.

Yes just seeing the Baths from the beach is worth the visit. And not really caves but a bunch of boulders strewn along the beach...

Joe at Patouche may be able to help, and there are solo "operators" that hang around the ferry terminal and take folks over, we've never used them so cannot comment on licensing, insurance, etc.

Thanks....I've looked a couple of YouTube videos and now see the boulders and beautiful beach. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that once you exit the bath/boulders, you reach a beautiful beach. From there, you hike up a hill to go back to the taxi drop off.

Is it possible to start this tour backwards? In other words, go down the path (where most people are exiting), and just see the beach? I am claustophobic and don't want to crawl through the boulders, especially with a large crowd. The family can go throught the boulders and I can meet them on the other side.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.. Thanks for your help.

I understand that once you exit the bath/boulders, you reach a beautiful beach. From there, you hike up a hill to go back to the taxi drop off.

Is it possible to start this tour backwards? In other words, go down the path (where most people are exiting), and just see the beach? I am claustophobic and don't want to crawl through the boulders, especially with a large crowd. The family can go throught the boulders and I can meet them on the other side.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.. Thanks for your help.

Pretty sure you can go "backwards"....there really isn't a set "anything" at the Baths...in fact, we go back the way we came, as do other people, because it is just that cool!

• 1 month later...

Hi there - reading through the thread as I had already decided the Baths are a MUSt do for us on this trip.

I did look into Patouche and he was booked for the day we are in port....usually we do not take a 'tour' as my DH and I like to go with our own flow lol.

I saw someone post that it was easy to do on your own? I always prefer getting off the ship at our own leisure and taking a taxi to our destination.

Is is complicated? or will someone be able to direct us to the baths easily? Only one ship in port on the day we are there so hoping its not too busy. We will have our daughters/thrill seekers with us as well.

Thanks in advance...

Just get off the ship and walk or short taxi to the ferry, there will be taxis on Virgin Gorda waiting to whisk you to the Top of the Baths and they will recommend when you should return. You can ask the driver to pick you up and drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe for example unless you want to grab a bite at the Top of the Baths or back in Road Town. Very easy on your own. There will be many of your fellow cruisers on the ship excursion on the same ferry as well as others on their own as you are. We prefer doing it on our own just to have a little flexibility.

Just get off the ship and walk or short taxi to the ferry, there will be taxis on Virgin Gorda waiting to whisk you to the Top of the Baths and they will recommend when you should return. You can ask the driver to pick you up and drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe for example unless you want to grab a bite at the Top of the Baths or back in Road Town. Very easy on your own. There will be many of your fellow cruisers on the ship excursion on the same ferry as well as others on their own as you are. We prefer doing it on our own just to have a little flexibility.

Can you tell me if the cost of the ferry includes the open air bus to the Baths?? I thought I read on here that it's one price and it is included....I also read that if your a senior....ask for senior price---or they don't give it to you---its half the price!!

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm

We've always taken our own taxi so have not done the ferry/taxi combo but check on that. Pricing is $30pp RT, $20 for senior (link attached above or go to best of bvi dot com)

I checked the ferry schedule you posted, and indeed Speedy's offers a senior discount. But do you happen to know at what age do they consider a passenger to be a senior? 55yrs, 60, or 65?

Just back from our Vision cruise and were so disappointed that we didn't get to go to Virgin Gorda. The day we were there was a holiday and the ferries weren't running. :( We took an open air taxi ride around the island and looked at Virgin Gorda from afar. Looks like we need to book another cruise....with a stop in Tortola. :)

Sorry you missed the opportunity Sue, but it is nice to have a reason to go back. We love staying on Tortola, that's a nice week with so many islands within easy reach - have you considered that?:)

Thank you for the links and info. I'm researching options for a November cruise and the information you shared have made The Baths a must see for our group.

Archived