Alaska Packing list - A different question

narsibvl

Glad you're finding these things useful. I find them indispensable, and I don't mean just at home! Those items have made many trips in my suitcases, and been worn on 4 other continents.

Thanks! I also bought a really comfy pair of synthetic hiking pants that zip to become capris--I just love how they fit and I think they'll be great for the flight.

I hope to wear all my items on 4 other continents someday as well!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi..do you have a link to the packing list that you refer to .... Going to Alaska May 2013. Very excited ... but living in Dallas...I have NO idea what to take. All other curises...warm weather. Thanks for any advice.

Somehow missed this post..don't have the list here yet. Will put it up soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Weather is so subjective. I was also there the last week of July last year, and I wore shorts quite a bit. It was downright warm the day we were in Ketchikan. I got sunburned sitting by the pool that afternoon. It was overcast in Juneau, but warm enough for me to wear knee-length shorts with a lightweight long sleeve shirt. I'm pretty sure I wore shorts in Skagway too. We drove up to the Yukon and I had a sweatshirt with me, but don't think I wore it much.

"Warm enough for shorts" depends a lot of a person's normal threshold for wearing shorts. I think 60 is "warm enough" and wear shorts a lot in AK. I can tell you for certain that both of my sisters think that's downright cold and would be wearing jeans and sweatshirts. :eek:

60 in shorts!!! 70 and I'm in a coat!

60 in shorts!!! 70 and I'm in a coat!

LOL! Like I said, it's a matter of perspective. I just got back from a 3 day trip to Disneyland with a bunch of Seattle area teenagers. We had lovely weather - low to mid 70s. They were constantly complaining that it was "too hot!" and trying to find places to sit/stand in the shade. They'd have been completely miserable if it had been 80+.

I have never used rain pants - ever. The closest thing I've done is wear nylon pants over my jeans when snow skiing. I fall down a lot. It keeps my jeans dry.

It would have to be raining very hard with a good wind before I'd want rain pants. If the weather was that stormy, I'd find something else to do.

We've used rainpants in Alaska several times. There were many times when we were in 50 F (10 C) rain with strong winds on the bow watching for whales for several hours. I know that I would be pretty cold if I did not have appropriate rain gear. When the weather was stormy, it did not change my plans.

And besides, rain pants are very light and easy to pack.

Yes, I would recommend rainpants.

LOL! Like I said, it's a matter of perspective. I just got back from a 3 day trip to Disneyland with a bunch of Seattle area teenagers. We had lovely weather - low to mid 70s. They were constantly complaining that it was "too hot!" and trying to find places to sit/stand in the shade. They'd have been completely miserable if it had been 80+.

I agree, everyone has a different perspective on "cold". 60F and up I generally wear capris or shorts with sandals. If it's really windy, I'll throw on a sweater, otherwise I'm comfortable. That being said I live in winters where we see up to -30Celcius! :)

Your only in 3 Alaska ports if not on

a longer cruise.

The ship is warm inside, cold outside

and viewing on deck.

So don't buy expensive clothes if

you won't use them again.

You really don't know how the weather

will be.

Been 4 times..Sweatshirt with hoods with

or with out jacket (depends on the days weather)

jeans, short and long sleeves. Only wore sweaters

inside ship, only wore gloves once in port and then

viewing glaciers on deck. Wore tennis shoes, no cold feet

even if raining.

Take small travel umbrellas for both. Used twice.

My cruises have been in June, July and Sept.

Been to Medall. Glacier, up the tram, on the train

walking all over the towns. Haven't been on the water

in small boats (that could be cold.)

If it hits 70 locals in shorts and even go swimming.

Think they have a heat wave. This was told to us

by a local who has been living in Juneau since the 60's.

by a local.

Know this isn't how it might be all the time but

has been for us. Know maybe next time could be freezing.

I just returned this week from Alaska, I brought a lightweight rain coat with a hood (purchased from a local department store) that I wore everywhere. I also had a sleeveless vest, long and short sleeve tees, 2 sweaters and a light weight jogging suit. All pieces I packed could be layered in different combinations and shed as the day went on. Sneakers were fine for all the walking we did, I purchased a small bottle of waterproof spray and that was enough for my sneakers and a baseball cap, I brought a scarf which doubled as a shawl at dinner, a pair of gloves which I only wore on the ship at Hubbard Glacier and could have done without if necessary.

Almost all excursions could be purchased right on the dock as you leave the ship, if there is something you don't want to miss all excursions can be found on line just google the stop and Alaska excursions. My favorite excursion was purchased through RCCL for the last day, we had a midnight flight and just wanted to fill in the day and get from Seward to Anchorage but

this was the best day, with a lunch cruise where we saw every form of wildlife

we missed all week, we got to the airport in plenty of time(this excursion was

sold out so if you need a ride to the airport book early).

In Ketchikan the Alaska seaplane tour with owner Ryan was wonderful

We visited Alaska in mid-June and wore our rain gear most days. Our rain pants were invaluable on deck while watching the scenery. Wouldn't go without them, or without wide-brimmed hats. Great for rain and for sun.

We found hiking boots to be more comfortable than sneakers, but that's probably personal preference (we're in sneakers all year here in FL, but felt they weren't warm enough in AK).

Brought layers, but wore at least 3 layers every day. We're going in August this year, so will be curious to see how different the temps are.

Archived