Wonderful Copenhagen

Danish Viking,

Thank you for correcting the info.

I went back to check my source, the .pdf file

and I see that I read the page heading title as the port

listing.

Thanks again, this make foot travel much more pleasant.

And thank you for all the excellent trip advice.

I am looking forward to this Baltic Cruise.

lance

++++

378395821_ScreenShot2013-04-26at12_40_08PM.jpg.a5a1f7bc3aeb9f3699b3ada4cff19fe2.jpg

Danish Viking, we are staying at the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers for a few days before our cruise in June. I read that the Fields Mall is near the hotel, is it walking distance?

We were at the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen post-cruise last August -- the Fields mall is an easy walk as are the RR stop and metro stop. Very convenient.

For some odd reason the old Copenhagen thread is closed (I´m only a little bit angry) but there are some outdated info so maybe its okay to start on a fresh.

So if anyone has some unfinished questions just ask here.

Here are some links to find some info by yourself.

Travel planner to trains, S-trains, Metro, harbour busses and busses.

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/

Copenhagen Airport

http://cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/

Port information for both Copenhagen and Malmö

http://www.cmport.com/

Tourist website

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/?__utma=199091752.1666140335.1357547684.1357547684.1358767944.2&__utmb=199091752.3.10.1358767944&__utmc=199091752&__utmx=-&__utmz=199091752.1357547684.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=copenhagen%20card&__utmv=-&__utmk=24131578

A few taxi companies

http://www.amagerobrotaxi.dk/

http://www.cphtaxa.dk/

http://www.dantaxi.dk/Koebenhavn

And a website to calculate taxi prices.

http://www.taxapriser.dk/

Trying to figure out about money exchange? Can we use Euros or do we have to exchange US $ for your local currency?

Danish Viking,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information you provide to all of us! I have been trying to figure out the bus schedules for 11A and 26. We'll be staying at the Tivoli Hotel and wonder how late the buses run in the evening. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city at the end of May.

thanks,

Bailuk

Danish Viking,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. This thread has been a wealth of information!

My family and I will be staying in Copenhagen from May 22nd to May 25th pre cruise, and then we will start our curise on NCL Star on May 25th. Will there be enough time to order the Copenhagen card online and mail it to Canada, or would I be better off picking up the card at the airport?

Since we arrived on the 22nd at 7pm, would you be able to recommend any restaurants that my open late around The Square where we are staying.

We would like to see little mermaid, Nyhavn, stroget, Rosenberg Castle, Christianbord Palace and whatever else we could fit in a 2 day itinerary (still researching). Any suggestions for a 2 day itinerary?

Will I be able to find free wifi around the city?

Thank you in advance!

Danish Viking,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information you provide to all of us! I have been trying to figure out the bus schedules for 11A and 26. We'll be staying at the Tivoli Hotel and wonder how late the buses run in the evening. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city at the end of May.

thanks,

Bailuk

Route 26

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-240313.pdf

Route 11A

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/11a-0011-180213.pdf

Danish Viking,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. This thread has been a wealth of information!

My family and I will be staying in Copenhagen from May 22nd to May 25th pre cruise, and then we will start our curise on NCL Star on May 25th. Will there be enough time to order the Copenhagen card online and mail it to Canada, or would I be better off picking up the card at the airport?

Since we arrived on the 22nd at 7pm, would you be able to recommend any restaurants that my open late around The Square where we are staying.

We would like to see little mermaid, Nyhavn, stroget, Rosenberg Castle, Christianbord Palace and whatever else we could fit in a 2 day itinerary (still researching). Any suggestions for a 2 day itinerary?

Will I be able to find free wifi around the city?

Thank you in advance!

Its probably better to pick it up at the airport.

Both the information center and DSB ticket counter will sell them.

There are some restaurants near The Square that you can look at for a late night dinner.

IL Piccato

Axeltorv 8

Italian restaurant

4 out of 6 stars on aok.dk

XO Burgers and Steaks

Axeltorv 3

American style

3 out of 6 stars

Ad Libitum

Axeltorv 3

Café style

4 out of 6 stars

Restaurant Axelborg

Axeltorv 3

Chinese

3 out of 6 stars

Jensens Bøfhus

Axeltorv 6

steakhouse

1 out of 6 stars (I don´t think its that bad)

Cafe Axel

Axeltorv 3A

American style

No stars

Evita Perón

Studiestræde 69

yes you guessed it, its a argentinian steak house

3 out of 6 stars

2nd

Saturday you can start at The national museum.

Christiansborg Castle

Nyhavn with canal tour

Amalienborg Castle

Little Mermaid

Maybe Tivoli with dinner in the evening.

3rd day

Strøget

Rundetårn

Rosenborg

back to hotel from Rosenborg with S-train from Nørreport to Vesterport

Transport to ship.

Its probably better to pick it up at the airport.

Both the information center and DSB ticket counter will sell them.

Transport to ship.

Thank you very much for the information!

Which terminal is the information center and DSB ticket counter located? Our plane land at Terminal 2 at 7pm at night, will they still be open?

Danish Viking:

We are interested in taking a tour that includes both castles--full day.

We are looking at Stromma (Copenhagen Excursions).

Is this our best best? We are staying at Clarion Mayfair and have two seniors with us.

Thanks

Bill

May is a beautiful month to visit Copenhagen, the threes has just turned green and the first signs of summer are visible.

Was wondering about the use of money. Can we easily get your currency? Do shop owners accept Euros or US dollars? Was wondering if you know the charges for using an ATM? Thanks, Mary

Danish Viking,

As stated by others, your contribution to this thread has been invaluable and has provided a wealth of information. Huge gratitude for this service!

We are arriving early Monday, May 20, departing Copenhagen on the Eurodam, afternoon of May 21. One of the places we are interested in visiting is Frihedsmuseet, but it is closed on Mondays. The museum site states it opens at 10 a.m on Tuesday, so we have decided to delay our arrival to the Eurodam until after the noon hour, in order to visit the museum at opening. We are staying at the Marriott. Since we will most likely taxi to Freeport from the hotel, I'd like to save a bit of money. Looking into the bus option, I used the route planner. If I am reading it correctly, it looks like we could walk to Stormgade/Glyptoteket stop, catch 1A toward Hellerup st, get off at Esplanaden/Grønningen, and walk to the museum. The return trip is the same, catching 1A toward Hvidovre Hospital/sløjfen, off at Esplanaden, then walk to Marriott. However, there is some kind warning on the return trip. I used an online translator, and it seems to be saying the stop at Christiansborg is closed due to Metro construction. First, am I reading the bus schedule correctly as to getting to and from the museum? Second, is the translation accurate regarding Christiansborg and nothing we need to be concerned about?

Thanks for any advice you can offer :)

Danish Viking:

We are interested in taking a tour that includes both castles--full day.

We are looking at Stromma (Copenhagen Excursions).

Is this our best best? We are staying at Clarion Mayfair and have two seniors with us.

Thanks

Bill

Do you have any problems using public transportation because if you take the train to Frederiksborg and Kronborg it would be much cheaper and I can give you a more detailed description of trains and busses to use.

Was wondering about the use of money. Can we easily get your currency? Do shop owners accept Euros or US dollars? Was wondering if you know the charges for using an ATM? Thanks, Mary

Yes there is alot of Forex offices at the airport, Central station and on the main pedestrians streets.

I do think that some shop owners accept Dollars but if they do its only bills (no coins) but the exchange rate is most likely very poor.

When I'm using my Visa card abroad I'm charged with 30 DKK or something around that figure when I'm using a ATM.

Danish Viking,

As stated by others, your contribution to this thread has been invaluable and has provided a wealth of information. Huge gratitude for this service!

We are arriving early Monday, May 20, departing Copenhagen on the Eurodam, afternoon of May 21. One of the places we are interested in visiting is Frihedsmuseet, but it is closed on Mondays. The museum site states it opens at 10 a.m on Tuesday, so we have decided to delay our arrival to the Eurodam until after the noon hour, in order to visit the museum at opening. We are staying at the Marriott. Since we will most likely taxi to Freeport from the hotel, I'd like to save a bit of money. Looking into the bus option, I used the route planner. If I am reading it correctly, it looks like we could walk to Stormgade/Glyptoteket stop, catch 1A toward Hellerup st, get off at Esplanaden/Grønningen, and walk to the museum. The return trip is the same, catching 1A toward Hvidovre Hospital/sløjfen, off at Esplanaden, then walk to Marriott. However, there is some kind warning on the return trip. I used an online translator, and it seems to be saying the stop at Christiansborg is closed due to Metro construction. First, am I reading the bus schedule correctly as to getting to and from the museum? Second, is the translation accurate regarding Christiansborg and nothing we need to be concerned about?

Thanks for any advice you can offer :)

You do read it correctly, but remember that the road is a one way street so the bus back to mariott is located one block further to the west.

Its no big deal really but its nice to know.

1A goes all the time (every 5-10 minute) so if you don't get the first one you don't have to worry.

You don't need to use the Christiansborg bus stop so that's info you don't need to react on.

B

Hi Danish Viking. Thank for starting this thread. I read the first 10 pages and didn't see my question asked. ..

We are 11 people 5 kids aged 4-11 and 6 adults. We fly into Copenhagen the day before our cruise and staying at Scandic Copenhagen. To save some money, do you think it would be wise to take the train from airport to hotel and from hotel to the ship? Are there elevators or escalaotors to help us with our luggage. We are from New York City and I would tell you that our subways would be a nightmare if you have luggage with you...too crowded and too many stairs to climb up and down. I believe Scandic Copenhagen is close to Central Station...about how many minutes walk would you say? We are all used to walking even the kids but I'm just concerned about our luggage.

If taking the train is a bad idea, Would it be better to arrange for a car service to pick us up or just take a taxi. I think we might not fit in 2 taxis since I've read your comment that the 6 sweater van might not have room for luggage.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

You do read it correctly, but remember that the road is a one way street so the bus back to mariott is located one block further to the west.

Its no big deal really but its nice to know.

1A goes all the time (every 5-10 minute) so if you don't get the first one you don't have to worry.

You don't need to use the Christiansborg bus stop so that's info you don't need to react on.

B

Perfect, thank you!

Hi Danish Viking. Thank for starting this thread. I read the first 10 pages and didn't see my question asked. ..

We are 11 people 5 kids aged 4-11 and 6 adults. We fly into Copenhagen the day before our cruise and staying at Scandic Copenhagen. To save some money, do you think it would be wise to take the train from airport to hotel and from hotel to the ship? Are there elevators or escalaotors to help us with our luggage. We are from New York City and I would tell you that our subways would be a nightmare if you have luggage with you...too crowded and too many stairs to climb up and down. I believe Scandic Copenhagen is close to Central Station...about how many minutes walk would you say? We are all used to walking even the kids but I'm just concerned about our luggage.

If taking the train is a bad idea, Would it be better to arrange for a car service to pick us up or just take a taxi. I think we might not fit in 2 taxis since I've read your comment that the 6 passenger van might not have room for luggage.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Scandic Copenhagen is located very close to Vesterport station, you have to walk a little bit further from the central station.

Now I´m just thinking outside the box.

All the kids travels for free with the adults (I think its 2 kids under 12 with one adult)

So you can get a large taxi van and take all the luggage with the taxi and 2-3 adults.

The rest can then take the kids with them on the train.

You can walk from Copenhagen Central station or change from the airport train to any northbound S-train from track 9 and 10 and gert of at Vesterport.

A single ticket from the airport costs 36 DKK so if 3 adults take the kids with them its only 108 DKK.

You can do the same when going to the cruise port, here a single ticket from Vesterport to Nordhavn station near the freeport cruise terminal costs 24 DKK so its only 72 DKK for 3 adults and the 6 childrens.

Walking map from Vesterport to Scandic Copenhagen.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Ved+Vesterport+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Vester+S%C3%B8gade+6,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.675162,12.560903&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.675537,12.561729&sspn=0.001842,0.004823&geocode=FW2KUQMdj7K_ACkPrEhBDFNSRjHeMVK6jf-1uw%3BFdeIUQMdk6O_ACkVNqycC1NSRjHmmOFhw7VpWw&oq=Ved+Vesterport+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=18

Edited by Danish viking

Scandic Copenhagen is located very close to Vesterport station, you have to walk a little bit further from the central station.

All the kids travels for free with the adults (I think its 2 kids under 12 with one adult)

So you can get a large taxi van and take all the luggage with the taxi and 2-3 adults.

You can walk from Copenhagen Central station or change from the airport train to any northbound S-train from track 9 and 10 and gert of at Vesterport.

A single ticket from the airport costs 36 DKK so if 3 adults take the kids with them its only 108 DKK.

You can do the same when going to the cruise port, here a single ticket from Vesterport to Nordhavn station near the freeport cruise terminal costs 24 DKK so its only 72 DKK for 3 adults and the 6 childrens.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Ved+Vesterport+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Vester+S%C3%B8gade+6,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.675162,12.560903&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.675537,12.561729&sspn=0.001842,0.004823&geocode=FW2KUQMdj7K_ACkPrEhBDFNSRjHeMVK6jf-1uw%3BFdeIUQMdk6O_ACkVNqycC1NSRjHmmOFhw7VpWw&oq=Ved+Vesterport+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=18

This is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!! I never would have thought that up myself! We will do just that! Is there a "metro" card we could use for say 24 hours wi unlimited public transport? We arrive around 10am and plan to board the ship around 12 noon.

This is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!! I never would have thought that up myself! We will do just that! Is there a "metro" card we could use for say 24 hours wi unlimited public transport? We arrive around 10am and plan to board the ship around 12 noon the next day.

To all of you visting Copenhagen and are interested in visiting "Frihedsmuseet". Sadly, I have to inform you that yesterday it was destroyed in a heavy fire. The building itself will be put down but , fortunately enough, 99% of the artifacts was saved,

Edited by Ljunggren