Wonderful Copenhagen

This is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you!! I never would have thought that up myself! We will do just that! Is there a "metro" card we could use for say 24 hours wi unlimited public transport? We arrive around 10am and plan to board the ship around 12 noon the next day.

There is the 24 hour city pass that covers zone 1, 2, 3 and 4 so that includes the airport.

This card costs 75 DKK.

And I double checked it, it is indeed 2 childrens under 12 for free with one adult.

Kids between 12 and 15 pays half price and the same does childrens under 12 without any adults but who will let them travelling alone :D

Edited by Danish viking

I read in the papers that it was only 30% of the building that was damaged!!!

I will check up on it and see what's up and Dow in this matter.

Correct. But due to the heavy copperroof the whole construction will be a complete writeoff, unfortunately.

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/frihedsmuseet-bliver-svaert-at-redde

Edited by Ljunggren

I just visited the museums website and it looks like the museum will be closed for a while.

All the stuff have been moved out to the national museums storage facilities in Brede north of Copenhagen.

Some of the politicians are talking about a rebuild or a totally new museum so it will probably first reopen sometimes next year if we are lucky. :(

Hi

We are visiting Copenhagan in July and we will be docking at Langalinie. We are hoping to spend the day at Tivoli Gardens and i am confused as to how to get there. I understand that you can catch bus 26 but I cannot find a route map or timetable. I am also considering using a taxi, I guess there will be plenty at the cruise terminal but is there a taxi rank at Tivoli for the return trip?

Thanks and apologies if I have missed this information elsewhere.

Martin

You do have missed thit information elsewhere but it doesn´t matter :D

From the bus stop at Indiakaj

Mandag til fredag = Monday to Friday

Lørdag = Saturday

Søn(dag) og Helligdage = Sunday and public holidays.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000010008

From the central station just outside Tivoli

Only use the A and B departures

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001152

I am very sorry to learn of the fire at the Museum of Danish Resistance. We will be in Copenhagen for 3 days in August, and this museum was on our must-see list. Despite our disappointment, I'm glad that almost all of the collection seems to have escaped damage or be restorable.

In agreement with NYAS: while I am very sorry to hear of the fire, I'm thrilled they were able to save most of the collection. Obviously any loss would be irreplaceable. It's terribly disappointing, personally, since this was also on our must-see list. I hope they are able to rebuild or restore with minimum delays.

Thanks for the head's up; off to decide what to visit instead. I'm leaning toward Thorvaldsens Museum...

Thank you for this link. Up until now I didn't realize you all were speaking of the Danish Resistance museum ( I didn't recognize its Danish name). That is a disappointment but thank goodness firefighters were able to save the exhibits. I know usually they are only concerned with safety and extinguishing the fire. It's great that they realized the importance of these items.

Well off to revise my walking tour... Thanks again.

My planned itinerary for our one day in Copenhagen -- we purchased the Copenhagen Card and will be ready to walk a lot. I'd love your thoughts on whether this is doable or if there is anything you recommend skipping (or anything we forgot that you would recommend we add)!

08:00 - ship docks

09:00 - get off ship, walk to Little Mermaid; continue on to Rundetaarn

10:00 - Rundetaarn

10:45 - Rosenborg Castle

11:45 - Amalienborg Changing of the Guard

12:00 - Amalienborg

13:00 - walk to Nyhavn; grab a quick bite to eat

13:30 - Netto boat tour

14:45 - Christianborg

15:45 - City Hall

16:30 - Stroget

17:30 - Tivoli

19:00 - walk back to ship

I can see its going to be a short visit to Rundetaarn.

I'm guessing that your not planning to visit Rosenborg but just look from the outside. Right?

I think you have time for the crown jewels that are located seperate from the rest of the museum.

Perhaps you should skip Rundetaarn and do the entire Rosenborg tour instead.

I can add that the guard that goes to Amalienborg Castle starts from the barracks behind Rosenborg at 11:20 or 11:30.

Also I'm guessing that your plan is to get off the Netto boat at Holmens Kirke (I think it is) because its located close to Christiansborg.

The Stromma boats do however stop in front of Christiansborg.

From Christiansborg I will take Strøget first and then end up at the town hall square.

Christiansborg is located very close to Amagertorv that are located in the middle of Strøget.

I posted a picture a few pages back where you can see the Stromma canal tour stop.

This picture is taken infront of Christiansborg and you can see Amagertorv and Strøget in the background.

From Tivoli you can walk to the central station (next door) and take any northbound train to Østerport and walk to Lamgelinie Pier from there.

You can both use the S-train from track 9 and 10 and regular train from most likely track 1 to 4 but check the screens.

Edited by Danish viking

If its 13:45 i think its okay to round up to 14:00.

Funny enough the fifth of May is my birthday so I´m guessing that the weather will be wonderful when you are in town. :D

Atleast the weather forecast looks promising.

Currently what I am seeing is good weather for your birthday.

So, if the time I put on my card is 13 do I only have until 13 the last day or can I use it until 14?

Hi

We are visiting Copenhagan in July and we will be docking at Langalinie. We are hoping to spend the day at Tivoli Gardens and i am confused as to how to get there. I understand that you can catch bus 26 but I cannot find a route map or timetable. I am also considering using a taxi, I guess there will be plenty at the cruise terminal but is there a taxi rank at Tivoli for the return trip?

Thanks and apologies if I have missed this information elsewhere.

Martin

I found this in post #18 from a CC member see link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1416580

From Langeline, you can walk along the waterfront, past the Little Mermaid (little being the key word here - it's underwhelming), through Nyhamn, down Stroget ending at Tivoli gardens. At's a long walk ~2.5 miles - takes 1+ hours depending on how much you stop.

From Tivoli, you can easily walk a couple of block to the canal waterfront. There you can catch a hop-on-hop-off boat (the blue line) that will take you to Nyhamn where you can change to another boat (red line) that will drop you off at Langeline.

Tony

My planned itinerary for our one day in Copenhagen -- we purchased the Copenhagen Card and will be ready to walk a lot. I'd love your thoughts on whether this is doable or if there is anything you recommend skipping (or anything we forgot that you would recommend we add)!

I would probably drop one of the things on your list as that is a lot to try to cram into the short period of time you have. Plus you might want to spend more time at one place or another. I would probably skip Stroget only because from what I've read it seems like an outdoor shopping mall. It would also allow you to eat while at Tivoli.

May I suggest that you map this out on something like Google maps so that you can see walking times and perhaps create a loop. As someone else has said you would walk along Stroget to City Hall then Tivoli. Keep it flexible as you never know what wonders you may find along the way :)

You gave me a link to a bus 26 schedule, which I printed out. However, not sure I really know how to read it. (apologizing in advance for misspellings) I know from what you told me that the stop I need to get to the ship is Kalkbraenderihavnsgade. Is the stop by the train station Hovedbanegarden? We will probably need to catch the bus by 13 (going from the train station to the ship) to avoid having our Copenhagen cards expire. Also, do you know the name of the bus stop for Carlsberg? Thanks so much!

You gave me a link to a bus 26 schedule, which I printed out. However, not sure I really know how to read it. (apologizing in advance for misspellings) I know from what you told me that the stop I need to get to the ship is Kalkbraenderihavnsgade. Is the stop by the train station Hovedbanegarden? We will probably need to catch the bus by 13 (going from the train station to the ship) to avoid having our Copenhagen cards expire. Also, do you know the name of the bus stop for Carlsberg? Thanks so much!

If you go to the Carlsberg website they have the directions on how to get there. When I last looked on the site there was construction that causes a change in route.

Edited by Alaskanb

I just visited the museums website and it looks like the museum will be closed for a while.

All the stuff have been moved out to the national museums storage facilities in Brede north of Copenhagen.

Some of the politicians are talking about a rebuild or a totally new museum so it will probably first reopen sometimes next year if we are lucky. :(

Thanks for the update on this museum. We had this in our walking tour of Copenhagen and are disappointed we will not be able to visit it. I guess that means we will have to come back? :)

We appreciate all of the information given and questions answered here. Very helpful!

Yes Hovedbanegården is just danish for Central Station.

If you look at a train schedule it will however be called København H instead. :confused:

The bus stop at Carlsberg if using line 26 is Kammasvej.

To all of you visting Copenhagen and are interested in visiting "Frihedsmuseet". Sadly, I have to inform you that yesterday it was destroyed in a heavy fire. The building itself will be put down but , fortunately enough, 99% of the artifacts was saved,

I read in the papers that it was only 30% of the building that was damaged!!!

I will check up on it and see what's up and Dow in this matter.

Oh no!!!! I hope that there was no one injured during the fire! And, thankful that a majority of the artifacts were saved.

But, wow....this was one of the Must-Sees for us for our day in Copenhagen...in August 2013. We had our route planned out with harbour busses and everything (after plying Danish Viking for information) to get to the museum. Thank you so very much for the information.

Danish Viking, I would so appreciate if you could keep this thread updated on the re-opening of the museum? I don't want to cross it off my list, but certainly will now have an alternative activity planned in case the museum is still closed when we visit in August.

Thank you!

Melissa

Edited by JeffandMelissa
spelling!

Thank you for this information, Danish Viking!

I'll keep the museum site bookmarked and check back to it closer to August 2013! I can get my updates this way! :o You're so busy helping us and others on this site, that I don't want to add another thing to your list! :)

Melissa