Space Bags

DisneyKidsDad

My wife is planning on using space bags for our upcoming Alaska cruise to help pack all the warm weather and cold weather clothes. Do you think it will be possible to get a vacuum cleaner on the last night of the cruise to help with packing the space bags? Has anyone ever done this?

My wife is planning on using space bags for our upcoming Alaska cruise to help pack all the warm weather and cold weather clothes. Do you think it will be possible to get a vacuum cleaner on the last night of the cruise to help with packing the space bags? Has anyone ever done this?

The best answer is maybe. I wouldn't count on it, however, I have read some reports where people were able to access a vacum onboard. Have you looked into the ones you roll the air out? They're not quite as efficient, but still usable.

:)

The best answer is maybe. I wouldn't count on it, however, I have read some reports where people were able to access a vacum onboard. Have you looked into the ones you roll the air out? They're not quite as efficient, but still usable.

:)

We bought some of those yesterday but they are small. I'm wondering if you could roll the space bags instead of using the vacuum. :confused: We will have to check into it. Traveling with our daughter in a manual wheelchair and her service dog makes limiting our luggage important. We run out of hands. :(

Give your steward some advance warning and they may be able to accommodate you (I am not sure if all of their have hoses). That said, you can compress them manually, someone just needs to hold open the valve while someone else squashes. You don't get full compression, but pretty close.

I've actually switched to the giant ziplocs. Put the clothing in, zip the seal 95 percent of the way closed, squash the bag and pinch the rest. They are cheaper than the space bags.

The Space Bag brand has the travel bags that you role the air out of and there are copycat versions that we bought and then returned. I would not count in having a vacuum available. We used the roll up ones for Alaska in 2011 and they worked great for fleece and such.

We have also done the ziploc bags. We use the freezer style gallon size and put clothes in the ziploc and compress the air out as the previous poster mentioned. I might use 4 or 5 in my bag for heavyweight cotton and such to compress the loft out of the garment. The super size ziploc work well too.

The jumbo size 2 1/2 gallon bags are sold at Target. Good for several trips and can be squashed by leaning on them. We've used these for the last 12 cruises and really like them.

Archived