Cruises to CUBA

Rotterdam

FYI, and in checking the booking conditions we found this;

Cuba Cruise does not discriminate against any nationality and we would not deny boarding to anybody simply because of his or her citizenship. We operate according to the laws of Canada

Interesting!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...
For some time now I have wanted to visit Cuba......I would love to do a NYC - CUBA- NYC voyage at some point.

Anyone else have an interest in this cruise????

I think there's a UK cruise line that sails to Cuba from the Bahamas or some other country. I seem to recall it might be the Fred. Olsen line.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last two years I have researched the possibility of organizing an historic cultural cruise to Cuba.

It would be the first time in 50 years for U.S. Citizens to cruise from New York to Cuba, an almost weekly cruise itinerary back in the days when there was no embargo.

The port itself (Old Havana) can handle fairly large ships as far as water depth (draft) but the infrastructure that is needed to fulfill the necessary “people to people cultural requirements” set forth by the Office of Assets Control (OFAC) would be almost impossible to meet for a ship with more than 600 passengers.

Current trips to Cuba now leave from NY or Miami by plane and the required lectures, tours and transportation for the smaller number of passengers is managed through one of several companies licensed by OFAC.

I started with the US embassy in Havana. Seemed like a great idea to them, but they have nothing to do with granting any travel permission.

Inquired with a few cruise lines that have ships in the 600 passenger range. Sounded great to them if I could secure the proper license from OFAC, which is a division of the US Treasury Dept. and I could get enough passengers to charter a ship they would be open to it.

Spoke with several cruise agents who all thought it would be an easy sell. Got some positive feedback from a few forums (until they shut the threads down..LOL).

Spent many hours dealing with the tour providers that are now providing the programs that meet the OFAC requirements. They could supply the needed buses, tours, lectures and other requirements for a group of about 600 passengers for a 3 day, 2 night visit to Cuba.

All permits and medical insurance problems were worked out.

All passengers would participate in the same programs that are now allowed.

All passengers would follow the rules on purchases and monies spent.

Just like the current legal tours there would be free time once the required programs were done and unlike the current tours no money would be spent in the Cuban owned hotels (a plus in my opinion).

The permit was the first step, as without it the rest was just smoke. Once the license is obtained there is a one year period of time along with a one year extension that would allow plenty of time to organize a venture like this.

The first application was rejected on the grounds that it was just a tourist vacation of fun in the sun with Cuban cigars and mojitos.

The second application (same answer) was sent back so quickly I am sure it was not even considered.

Both applications listed the programs already approved by OFAC.

Both applications showed there would be the same structured programs as well as the same free time for the cruise passengers as there is for the current air passengers.

Wasted two years but am still hoping I will someday get the chance to one day sail into Havana.

Please try to keep politics out of this. It is just a post on what I have tried and what I one day would like to do.

bosco

when we will be able to cruise to Cuba.....the politics & economics will be ironed out(or paid off).

I would like to see Cuba before the large tourism companies distroy it w/ theme parks etc... a true cultural learning experience.....

Sailing out ofthe Westside of NYC would be fantastic!!!!!

See you onboard!

Over the last two years I have researched the possibility of organizing an historic cultural cruise to Cuba.

It would be the first time in 50 years for U.S. Citizens to cruise from New York to Cuba, an almost weekly cruise itinerary back in the days when there was no embargo.

The port itself (Old Havana) can handle fairly large ships as far as water depth (draft) but the infrastructure that is needed to fulfill the necessary “people to people cultural requirements” set forth by the Office of Assets Control (OFAC) would be almost impossible to meet for a ship with more than 600 passengers.

Current trips to Cuba now leave from NY or Miami by plane and the required lectures, tours and transportation for the smaller number of passengers is managed through one of several companies licensed by OFAC.

I started with the US embassy in Havana. Seemed like a great idea to them, but they have nothing to do with granting any travel permission.

Inquired with a few cruise lines that have ships in the 600 passenger range. Sounded great to them if I could secure the proper license from OFAC, which is a division of the US Treasury Dept. and I could get enough passengers to charter a ship they would be open to it.

Spoke with several cruise agents who all thought it would be an easy sell. Got some positive feedback from a few forums (until they shut the threads down..LOL).

Spent many hours dealing with the tour providers that are now providing the programs that meet the OFAC requirements. They could supply the needed buses, tours, lectures and other requirements for a group of about 600 passengers for a 3 day, 2 night visit to Cuba.

All permits and medical insurance problems were worked out.

All passengers would participate in the same programs that are now allowed.

All passengers would follow the rules on purchases and monies spent.

Just like the current legal tours there would be free time once the required programs were done and unlike the current tours no money would be spent in the Cuban owned hotels (a plus in my opinion).

The permit was the first step, as without it the rest was just smoke. Once the license is obtained there is a one year period of time along with a one year extension that would allow plenty of time to organize a venture like this.

The first application was rejected on the grounds that it was just a tourist vacation of fun in the sun with Cuban cigars and mojitos.

The second application (same answer) was sent back so quickly I am sure it was not even considered.

Both applications listed the programs already approved by OFAC.

Both applications showed there would be the same structured programs as well as the same free time for the cruise passengers as there is for the current air passengers.

Wasted two years but am still hoping I will someday get the chance to one day sail into Havana.

Please try to keep politics out of this. It is just a post on what I have tried and what I one day would like to do.

bosco

Currently over one million Canadians visit Cuba each year so I doubt there would be a banking issue although exchange rates would have to be considered.

A complete summary of the exchange systems, currency and rates is well covered here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cuba:Caribbean:Money.Exchange.html

Edited by ONT-CA

when we will be able to cruise to Cuba.....the politics & economics will be ironed out(or paid off).

I would like to see Cuba before the large tourism companies distroy it w/ theme parks etc... a true cultural learning experience.....

See you onboard!

It will happen when we get the repukes out of control and particularly the coconut senator from FL. I am ready to visit Cuba now!

See you onboard!

The mojitos will be on me..LOL

Photo: Bob Hope in "The Ghost Breakers".

cuba.jpg.f924b5cd938249f69feb032beffabaa0.jpg

boscobeans, that is amazing what you have tried. A question that occurred to me was instead of the whole cruise group being together to meet the requirements, would several smaller groups traveling on the same ship be more feasible? Each smaller group would follow whatever the requirements are, but do so separately.

boscobeans, that is amazing what you have tried. A question that occurred to me was instead of the whole cruise group being together to meet the requirements, would several smaller groups traveling on the same ship be more feasible? Each smaller group would follow whatever the requirements are, but do so separately.

The groups would have to be limited to about 40 passengers per venue. This would provide for easy transport ( 1 bus ) and give the passengers the opportunity to actually have a true people to people exchange, which is what the program is actually supposed to accomplish.

There are only so many different approved venues so scheduling 600 passengers into them will be difficult but not impossible.

bosco

The mojitos will be on me..LOL

Photo: Bob Hope in "The Ghost Breakers".

A 7 day cruise would be great - 1.5 days down to Cuba, 3.5 days in port & then 1.5 days back to recover!!!!!!

How about we claim a couple of deck chairs order up 2 pitchers of Mojitos w/ straws & just sip and sail!!!!

How about using one of the old "R" ships from Oceania or Azamara....?

A 7 day cruise would be great - 1.5 days down to Cuba, 3.5 days in port & then 1.5 days back to recover!!!!!!

How about we claim a couple of deck chairs order up 2 pitchers of Mojitos w/ straws & just sip and sail!!!!

We can only dream about it now. Whenever we cruise into San Juan I imagine it's really Old Havana..LOL

bosco

We can only dream about it now. Whenever we cruise into San Juan I imagine it's really Old Havana..LOL

bosco

Good point. Puerto Rico is as close as you can get now, and it's very close culturally and historically. Aside from the communist influence, and there is some of that, Puerto Rico is more Cuban than American.

As we progress into this unknown territory of cruising to Cuba I thought I’d explain just what Cubacruise.com is offering and why we decided to sign up. We are booked for a b2b in February 2014, 14 days in all, the reason being that, a) there are multiple interesting shore excursions to choose form at some of the ports. So we thought why not go around once again and try something different at these port. And b) the chances of doing this trip again for us at my age is pretty slim so if we are going to do it, do it now and do it well. Being absent from our cold Canadian winter for the period is of course a no brainer. With that in mind, we have booked the best suite available, one we are told that was once used by a president of the United States. The suite is unlike anything we have ever had before, for it even has its own balcony hot tub. The interesting thing about this booking is that we are paying no more and in fact slightly less than what we have had to pay for an A balcony on one of the customary cruise ships doing the Caribbean. Not sure why but the fuel costs cannot be significant. As Canadians we are sailing out of Havana which will entail booking a flight and a couple of days there pre cruise to see the city. We are not happy that the ship will visit the port of Montego Bay, Jamaica; the principal purpose we imagine is to enable American passengers to embark. But we can and will remain on board for that occasion. Now there’s a cruise I would gladly do a review of, if and when all proceeds.

As we progress into this unknown territory of cruising to Cuba I thought I’d explain just what Cubacruise.com is offering and why we decided to sign up. We are booked for a b2b in February 2014, 14 days in all, the reason being that, a) there are multiple interesting shore excursions to choose form at some of the ports. So we thought why not go around once again and try something different at these port. And b) the chances of doing this trip again for us at my age is pretty slim so if we are going to do it, do it now and do it well. Being absent from our cold Canadian winter for the period is of course a no brainer. With that in mind, we have booked the best suite available, one we are told that was once used by a president of the United States. The suite is unlike anything we have ever had before, for it even has its own balcony hot tub. The interesting thing about this booking is that we are paying no more and in fact slightly less than what we have had to pay for an A balcony on one of the customary cruise ships doing the Caribbean. Not sure why but the fuel costs cannot be significant. As Canadians we are sailing out of Havana which will entail booking a flight and a couple of days there pre cruise to see the city. We are not happy that the ship will visit the port of Montego Bay, Jamaica; the principal purpose we imagine is to enable American passengers to embark. But we can and will remain on board for that occasion. Now there’s a cruise I would gladly do a review of, if and when all proceeds.

I for one will be waiting anxiously for your review of the above mentioned cruise.

For us US folks who do not want to break any laws it will be at least a taste of the currently forbidden fruit.

Hopefully one day we will have the freedom to travel to a country that is just 90 miles off our coast and has been isolated for purely personal and political reasons for more than 50 years.

bosco

• 8 months later...

We did this cruise around Cuba on January 17th. We had an amazing time. We loved the size of the ship -big enough to have all the activities you want and small enough to be friendly and intimate.

Passengers have the option of boarding the ship in either Havana or Montego Bay. Since we were flying in from Phoenix, we decided to begin the cruise in Montego Bay. It was easier to arrange flights. The Cuban authorities do not stamp your passport on arrival or departure but stamp a visa that is loosely tucked inside instead - so there is no permanent record in your passport that you were ever there. I think many Americans have visited Cuba this way for the past many years. I met several Americans on the ship. I don't make any judgements about US law here.

The ports of call were varied and interesting. The staff on the ship were outstanding. We had a wonderful time.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a 7 day cruise circumnavigating Cuba on Louis Cruise Line (website: YourCubaCruise.com). The ship stopped everyday in a different Cuban city and offered excellent excursions. The one non-Cuban stop is Montego Bay, Jamaica and the cruise may be boarded there or in Havana. For Americans it is somewhat easier to fly to Montego Bay than to Havana. The ship, the Cristal, is small and old but quite lovely and the crew is fantastic (half Cuban and half everything else) with Greek officers. Cruise Director Danny is fantastic and the entertainment absolutely first rate. The ship is Greek owned and flagged from Malta, It is leased by a Canadian-Greek company and does weekly cruises from December to April. Most passengers were Canadian wilth a sprinkling of Europeans and Central and South Americans. There were also a number of Americans some in a group called "Road Scholars", and some traveling on their own. I highly recommend this cruise. Also gay life is much more open in Cuba than it used to be. I hired a wonderful gay tour guide (Website: cubagayparadisetours.com)and went to gay clubs, cruising places and the gay beach about a half an hour east of Havana, as well as to the historic sites, and an unforgettable performance of the National Ballet of Cuba. If these websites are blocked and you want more info email me at billeeboy@sympatico.ca

Edited by ILUVMTL
typos

There are legal ways for Americans to visit Cuba, but none of them involve cruising right now. There are several tour companies that are licensed by the Department of Treasury to run People to People tours of Cuba.

My partner and I have booked one for this July.

If you google Legal Travel to Cuba, you can easily find 5 or 6 agencies that do this.

The big difference is that the trip has to be organized as a meaningful cultural exchange, and not a big beach bash. Anyway, we decided to do it since we dont know how long it will be legal for, and also it lets us see Havana before the embargo ends

Easy to fly from Mexico to Cuba. I suspect it is technically against the embargo, but Americans do it all the time. ;)

Your Mexican visa (available for $20) is fine with the Cubans and they don't stamp your US passport.

There are Mexican GLBT travel agents that put together groups regularly.

We completed our b2b Cuba cruise and are currently signing up for two more weeks for the 2014-2015 season. We could go into the wonders of the place but I think it best just to direct you to Cruise Critic Other http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218

where there are currently over 600 postings and over 40,000 hits.

Getting the negativity out of the way, we were a little taken back at the boldness and somewhat greed of people found in the tourist trade. Request for tips for doing the most menial activity for you border on a demand. It starts with your arrival at the airport and it doesn’t stop until your departure. We have since spoken to several Canadians who are Cubaholics and they have tutored us on how to ignore and if need be threaten. I should add that this was on land. The ship people are the greatest, many Cubans and they seem to have the hang of it when it comes to dealing with us. So you will find some negativity from us, which we are now putting down to a learning curve.

Our accommodation was the finest we have ever had on any ship. The balcony (deck?) was larger than cabins we have had in the past with an equal size living room, which would have been terrific for entertaining had we been able to meet our own. There were two other couples aboard that were recognizable both of who went out of their way to avoid us. Yes, they were much younger than we but that did not give them credentials to be rude. Both couples were from Europe.

We too contacted the gay on-line site for a tour guide but there didn’t seem to be anyone who could also supply transportation and offered only to be a guide. But regular guides who did have wheels showed us their cities and country with great pride and it has been quite a while since I had been in the back seat of a 1954 Chevy...