Do you change your bedtime when on vacation?

WCAB

I was reading the posts on dining times and the number who seem to prefer late seating and I was thinking I would have to stay up until 1:00 a.m., if I ate at 8:30 p.m. It made me wonder how many people stay up very late on the ship but go to bed early when at home. I am up at 4:45 in the morning, so usually turn in arount 10:00 p.m. I find if I do not stick fairly close to this same schedule while on a cruise, I have trouble getting up the next morning. Are there any of you that go to bed early when at home but stay up to the wee hours while on a cruise, If you do, how do you feel the next day?

Carol

We are both young and yes, even for us it is diifficult to treat our cruise like a long weekend--late hours of partying or socializing. The sun, activities, and early rise all have an effect on our bodies as well. I have no trouble staying out late with friends on a friday/saturday night until 1am (maybe 2am on a great night) at home. But, no way on a cruise. We must force ourselves to surpass 11pm. And even then we pay the price trying to awake the following morning. :) So earlier to bed and earlier to rise for us when cruising.

Are you kidding...the motion of the ship makes me want to go to sleep EARLIER! We have a hard time staying up for anything fun in the evenings because we get so sleepy. Maybe it is the big meals, the motion of the ocean, the lack of the phone ringing,the motion sickness meds that I am forced to take, but it sure makes us tired. We actually wish we could have the energy to stay up for a while..but we just seem to crash! We do continue to get up fairly early in the mornings though. That is one reason we haven't tried Carnival. We have heard that a lot of the stuff that goes on is later in the evenings/nights on the Carnival ships and we would miss it all as we snooze!

my whole life changes while on vacation!! i eat at the late seating, at home i eat at 5:30, i go to bed a little earlier b/c i cant keep my eyes open from the day!!!! lol

My vacation wouls seem not like a vacatin for some, i like to get up at 5:30 ( i like early i want to make most of my trip)

Go to the gym

Get dressed, breakfast, the POOL!!!!!!

I like late seating b/c i find from all the food during the day i cant eat so early, late seating lets me enjoy dinner!!!

Early to bed at home, and usually early to bed on a cruise, although might stay up later if there is a particular event (show) I want to see.

We are in the early to bed and early to rise group. There might be some small alteration of the schedule on a cruise, but not much. Like Druke says, a particular show or movie showing might keep us up later, but that is the exception, not the rule.

I don't seem to have a problem extending my bedtime on a cruise, depending of course on what is going on on the ship that evening. I am also usually up early, but I've learned to schedule some rest time in the late afternoon -- otherwise, I could never keep up that pace!! This is actually one of the key benefits of PC dining for us -- we can still work in a rest, no matter what time we get back from shore.

My sleep schedule stays about the same on a cruise as it does at home. Hit the hay around 1:00 am and awake about 7:30 am when the coffee arrives. Unfortunately, at home there is no room service coffee to wake me, just an obnoxious alarm clock! The schedule for my dear friend changes drastically! At home she is usually in bed around 8:30 pm and up around 6:00 am. On a cruise, she can have fun until 1:00 or 2:00 am and wakes up when the coffee arrives. She will take a little nap in the afternoon.

Diane

While we were in Alaska I felt like a first grader! There is a 4 hour difference from the east coast, so 8 oclock on the boat was like midnight at home..so we had a really hard time adjusting to the change and still not nodding off in our soup...and by the time we got it right, it was time to go home and start all over again..Hate the west coast! Ha..

Up at 5:00am and 9:00pm for bed is my routine at home. We had 2nd seating for dinner and found all I wanted to do was go to bed after dinner. Our next cruise will be 1st seating and take lots of naps so I don't miss anything. I love being up early and ordering room service. Sitting on the balcony with my coffee as we arrive at the ports is the best.

DH and I are both early birds - me at 6:00 a.m., him at 4:30. :eek: Needless to say, we retire pretty early in the evening. Although on previous cruises we try to stay up late to catch some of the evening festivities, if we can't manage a short nap in the middle of the day, it ain't gonna happen! We missed the champagne night on Princess 3 years ago and felt so bad about it. So on Carnival the next year, we were so determined to make it to the gorgeous midnight buffet, we nearly found our heads in our plates - we could barely keep our eyes open. LOL! The tradeoff, though, to missing the evening festivities is experiencing some wonderful sunrises - morning IMHO is the most peaceful time at sea. :)

All that sea air guarantees an early bedtime for me.!!!:)

Same with me. I'm in my late forties, but sometimes I feel like I'm 80 on a cruise ship. All the "young" 80-somethings are still going strong when I'm heading back to my cabin for some much needed rest. :)

Must be the sea air.

I'm usually in bed by 11:00 p.m. at the latest. Late seating dinner ... maybe a show or sitting in a lounge for a while enjoying a before bed cigarette ... and then it's dreamland for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

At home we are early to rise and early to bed. On cruises, we rise even earlier -- 4:00AM on an Alaskan Cruise is wonderful on the promonade deck. But we do not want to miss all of the evening fun. So we take an afternoon nap some of the days so we can stay up later than usual. So yes, we do alternate our sleeping habits drastically.

My family (parents and sister-aged 22) and I (21) always end up changing our bed time to much earlier than normal. We usually get up earlier to do things in the morning and are busy all day long so we're exhausted and ready for bed by 9pm lol. We usually can hold our another hour or two.

We always get the late dinner and then take a walk on Lido and then to a club for some dancing until around 1 or 2. Then we head for our room and sleep with our door open (we usually get a balcony) and the waves and slight rocking of the ship puts us to sleep and we seldom wake-up until around 10:30 or even later. Last year on our cruise, we woke up in time for breakfast maybe 4 times on an 8 day cruise...We enjoy sleeping in on the weekends and especially on our cruises. Even on the days we were at port, se typically didn't get up until around 10:30 and off the ship by 11:30.

We are over 50 and at home, we're lucky if we stay awake through the 11 o'clock news. But on a cruise, we're up until 1 or 2 AM most nights. We adjust pretty quickly but I confess, there have been times that I've nodded off during a show in the Princess Theater! LOL

I am a total night owl at home and like to sleep in and on the cruises I am still a night owl but am up by 7 am. My husband on the other hand normally gets up for work at 5 am and goes to bed around 9 pm at home, but on cruises he looses track of time and stays up with me and sleeps in until 7 am. So yes, his bedtime changes on the cruise.

Karen:D

Carribean Princess October 29 2005

Star Princess November 2004

We're normally asleep by 10 and up at 5:30. On a cruise, we stay up until midnight or so on most cruises, if there's something fun to do - shows, dancing, whatever. We don't do the midnight buffet much, because we usually are on late seating and will have finished dinner less than two hours earlier. Plus, we'd be eating and going straight to bed. I tried it once, ate a taco, and woke up thinking I was having a heart attack (and we hadn't bought insurance for that cruise, either)!:eek:

We usually put the hangtag out for coffee in the morning, and used to check 7:00-7:30. They ALWAYS arrive early (before 7), so we've moved it back. We figure if we wake up earlier, we can cancel or get some coffee at the Windjammer & bring it back to the cabin while we wait for room service.

On a sea day, we always find time for a nap, too!

Archived