If you had to choose - St. George or Hamilton?

EMED2010

We are docked for one day 8-5. I plan on getting the ferry/bus pass and taking the ferry to St. George. Plan to sightsee there and then take the bus back to ship, stopping along the way at Horseshoe Beach, maybe Gibbs Lighthouse.

Am I missing anything if I skip Hamilton? It seems that St. George had more historic things to see (Unfinished Church, St. Catherines Fort).

Please let me know your thoughts.

I'd go to St. George because of the historic nature of the town. While Hamilton certainly has some interesting places to see, it's essentially a modern business/government center.

By the way, there is no direct bus service from St. George to the South Shore beaches...you basically have to take a bus from St. George to Hamilton anyway, and then transfer to another bus to get to Horseshoe Bay, etc.

You actually may have difficulty fitting in all you want to do in your one day because of travel times and waiting times for transportation. It takes about 30 minutes for the ship to be cleared for disembarkation after it arrives, and you generally have to be back on board at least 30 minutes before departure, so your 9 hours in Bermuda has already been cut to 8...plus you'll have to wait in line to buy your transportation pass or tokens, and sometimes there is such a crush of passengers wanting to get on the first ferries or buses that you may not be able to catch the first ferry. You've got a couple of hours of time on the ferry and buses to travel to all the places you're planning, so add it all up and you're not going to have as much time as you think to see the things you want to see.

I'd go to St. George because of the historic nature of the town. While Hamilton certainly has some interesting places to see, it's essentially a modern business/government center.

By the way, there is no direct bus service from St. George to the South Shore beaches...you basically have to take a bus from St. George to Hamilton anyway, and then transfer to another bus to get to Horseshoe Bay, etc.

You actually may have difficulty fitting in all you want to do in your one day because of travel times and waiting times for transportation. It takes about 30 minutes for the ship to be cleared for disembarkation after it arrives, and you generally have to be back on board at least 30 minutes before departure, so your 9 hours in Bermuda has already been cut to 8...plus you'll have to wait in line to buy your transportation pass or tokens, and sometimes there is such a crush of passengers wanting to get on the first ferries or buses that you may not be able to catch the first ferry. You've got a couple of hours of time on the ferry and buses to travel to all the places you're planning, so add it all up and you're not going to have as much time as you think to see the things you want to see.

Thanks for the tip on the bus from St. George. I have the bus schedule but didn't go over it in detail yet. I planned on the travel time eating up some of my time but not that much:eek:

I think there is only one other ship in port with us so I hope it won't be too bad. As long as we get to see some of the things we want to, I will be happy.

We are docked for one day 8-5. I plan on getting the ferry/bus pass and taking the ferry to St. George. Plan to sightsee there and then take the bus back to ship, stopping along the way at Horseshoe Beach, maybe Gibbs Lighthouse.

Am I missing anything if I skip Hamilton? It seems that St. George had more historic things to see (Unfinished Church, St. Catherines Fort).

Please let me know your thoughts.

You are on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9 day cruise starting 4/18 that includes a stop in Bermuda on 4/20, correct?

4/20 is a Saturday. There is no ferry service to St George on weekends and reduced ferry service to Hamilton. This is according to the 2012 ferry schedule; the 2013 schedule won't be out until the first week in April.

Also, the bus schedules are reduced.

Plan accordingly.

SBtS

I would have to agree with St George if you haven't been there, but for ensuing visits I would say Hamilton because there is more to see and do there. St George offers the church, shops, and historical bldgs but they can be covered in a few hours.

You are on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9 day cruise starting 4/18 that includes a stop in Bermuda on 4/20, correct?

4/20 is a Saturday. There is no ferry service to St George on weekends and reduced ferry service to Hamilton. This is according to the 2012 ferry schedule; the 2013 schedule won't be out until the first week in April.

Also, the bus schedules are reduced.

Plan accordingly.

SBtS

Thank you SO much - I did not give the fact that we would be there on a Saturday any consideration. Will have to keep checking for the updated bus/ferry schedules.

Archived