Oasis of the Seas vs Carnival Dream *pic*

Bran8778

You would also feel crowded on the Royal Promenade, pools, WindJammer and elevators. On the Oasis, you schedule the show times because they can't fit everyone in the theater at one time. Nice ship but I wouldn't do it again. What they did excel at was boarding and debarkation. They got those 6,000+ passengers off that ship in a snap.

The Oasis is large compared to any other ship with the exception of The Allure. No phot shop or angle needed to show how ig it is.

Promenade - only during special events crowded - all other times the same as any other ship.

Pools = Oasis has more pools per person than the Dream. Never saw any difference on sea days than any other ship, plus it was easier to get a chair, and I mean much easier on the Oasis.

Shows = expensive production shows, that everyone actually wants to see. The reservation system works for the ship, because it helps the passengers not miss a show they really want and spreads out the crowds.

Additionally, on a sea day, you had 4 neighborhoods to have people in. Central Park, Boardwalk, Promenade, and pool/sports deck. By splitting people up, no areas seemed crowded. Free food in multiple places also moved people around the ship, eliminating congestion in the buffet.

Until you experience the Oasis class ship, you will not know what an adventure is in cruising. Remember, they have one more on order, and possibly a fourth one. This ship works.

Promenade - only during special events crowded - all other times the same as any other ship.

Pools = Oasis has more pools per person than the Dream. Never saw any difference on sea days than any other ship, plus it was easier to get a chair, and I mean much easier on the Oasis.

Shows = expensive production shows, that everyone actually wants to see. The reservation system works for the ship, because it helps the passengers not miss a show they really want and spreads out the crowds.

Additionally, on a sea day, you had 4 neighborhoods to have people in. Central Park, Boardwalk, Promenade, and pool/sports deck. By splitting people up, no areas seemed crowded. Free food in multiple places also moved people around the ship, eliminating congestion in the buffet.

Until you experience the Oasis class ship, you will not know what an adventure is in cruising. Remember, they have one more on order, and possibly a fourth one. This ship works.

You must have missed my signature. I have tried it, I don't like it. This is the only ship that I have written to a company to complain about it. Instead of having chair hogs on the deck. we had table hogs in the WindJammer which was to small for this size ship.

I made our show reservations when we first booked the ship, it wasn't even finished being built when we booked our outside balcony room. They changed our reservations for what worked with them.

The Royal promenade was packed for their parades and parties for three of the nights. You could not avoid being stepped on by one person or another.

The shows were great! The crew was great! The ship was beautiful. While it may "work" for you, it certainly doesn't for me.

We are booked on the Allure in November and cannot wait!!!

Although we are taking two Carnival cruises this year to go ahead and obtain Platumn since we are so close, we will be excited to go back to Royal for awhile. I have always liked Carnival and will continue to sail them, especially on the shorter cruises as a Winter break, but I think we are going to be sailing on Royal for the longer ones.

We were very "underwhelmed" on our October Dream cruise. No problems with the staff and crew, but the cutbacks were more noticable this time than ever before. The employees were absolutely stretched to the max and I felt very sorry for them. As fast as they worked they just couldn't keep up with all they had to do. This was something I observed all over the ship. It resulted in cabins not being cleaned until 8:00-9:00 at night, dirty tables in the buffet left to sit for long periods of time, food slow to be delivered in the Main Dining room and some very tired and sad looking crew members.

I don't blame the Dream and her staff......I blame Corporate. At this point I am willing to pay a little more on Royal to get a lot more amenities.

I find it interesting that without ever setting foot on board, people decide it will be too big, too many people.

Every ship offers its own special charm, the Oaisis class ships are wonderfull, with size you get huge amounts of choices and great shows. You need CC roll calls if you want to get to know others on board as its large enough that you dont run into other people like on the smaller ships.

I love both, leaving on the Destiny on Feb 4 for 18 days, and will most likly be back on Allure this fall, and will love both trips for differnent reasons

I have been on both the Dream and the Oasis, and I admit that the Oasis had a LOT more going on ship wide, but on the Dream we actually felt less crowded. I guess it depends on each person's preferences for things to do. The Oasis was a Theme Park! :) The Dream was a Resort!:):)

We will probably do both ( or the Allure/Breeze) again, but next time we'll look at the itinerary and the entertainment a bit closer before deciding.:)

I kind think the original photoshop comment was someone making a joke, most cruisers know the Oasis is the bigger ship. But the camera angle does favor the Oasis. I personally have no desire to sail on The Oasis, not because I think it's a bad ship, it has some great things on it Carnival doesn't, it's just not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the Dream in April.

I find the Oasis/Allure mind boggling huge but it doesn't mean I wouldn't love to sail on them!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the beds are smaller on RC? The two twins combine to make a queen rather than a king?

a ship that size doesn't even interest me. Too many people and too many lines. I will stick with Carnival.

What lines??? We sailed on Allure and there were ZERO lines. In fact, the ship felt deserted at times since it's so big and everyone is so spread out. Literally, we didn't stand in line ONCE.

We enjoyed our Dream cruise, but the lines at times were unbearable. Way too crowded.

Remember, it's not the size of the ship or the number of passengers, but a combination of both (space to passenger ratio) which determines how crowded a ship feels.

we had table hogs in the WindJammer which was to small for this size ship.

With 24 different places to eat, and electronic signage throughout the ship telling you how full each venue is in real time, why would you even bother going to the Windjammer when it's full?

That was one of the wonderful things about sailing on the Allure. Instead of ONE large area where to eat (like the lido buffet on Carnival), you have multiple, smaller places throughout the ship. Before you leave your cabin, you can check how full each venue is right from your cabin. Most mornings, we chose where to have breakfast using this valuable tool. While the Windjammer was full most mornings, we opted to enjoy several breakfasts at the Park Cafe. We would grab an outdoor table right on Central Park and enjoy a quiet breakfast. We also enjoyed breakfast at the Solarium, at Johnny Rocket's (free of charge), and at the Main Dining Room. We also had the option of having a FULL breakfast (including made to order omelets) right in our cabin, something that's unfortunately not available on Carnival.

You would also feel crowded on the Royal Promenade, pools, WindJammer and elevators. On the Oasis, you schedule the show times because they can't fit everyone in the theater at one time. Nice ship but I wouldn't do it again. What they did excel at was boarding and debarkation. They got those 6,000+ passengers off that ship in a snap.

The Oasis is large compared to any other ship with the exception of The Allure. No phot shop or angle needed to show how ig it is.

Thanks, i wondered about crowding on those 2 ships as well.

What lines??? We sailed on Allure and there were ZERO lines. In fact, the ship felt deserted at times since it's so big and everyone is so spread out. Literally, we didn't stand in line ONCE.

We enjoyed our Dream cruise, but the lines at times were unbearable. Way too crowded.

Remember, it's not the size of the ship or the number of passengers, but a combination of both (space to passenger ratio) which determines how crowded a ship feels.

With 24 different places to eat, and electronic signage throughout the ship telling you how full each venue is in real time, why would you even bother going to the Windjammer when it's full?

That was one of the wonderful things about sailing on the Allure. Instead of ONE large area where to eat (like the lido buffet on Carnival), you have multiple, smaller places throughout the ship. Before you leave your cabin, you can check how full each venue is right from your cabin. Most mornings, we chose where to have breakfast using this valuable tool. While the Windjammer was full most mornings, we opted to enjoy several breakfasts at the Park Cafe. We would grab an outdoor table right on Central Park and enjoy a quiet breakfast. We also enjoyed breakfast at the Solarium, at Johnny Rocket's (free of charge), and at the Main Dining Room. We also had the option of having a FULL breakfast (including made to order omelets) right in our cabin, something that's unfortunately not available on Carnival.

I always agree with your posts!!! I only went into the Windjammer on the last morning of our cruise to grab a bagle and some milk to bring back to the cabin-why go there with SO many other options!! I guess that's why I NEVER noticed crowds either. Even with the parades/events in the promonade, yes there were people but you were watching a show on a "street" lined with shops and bars...same upbeat energy you would have at a neighborhood parade but while at sea. We still had a blast on our Magic cruise, but I did feel like I was waiting in line constantly, even when just walking from one part of the ship to another. Both were great experiences, but I overall prefer the Oasis experience over any other cruise I've been on.

And for the PP about the beds-not 100% sure but I think the RC beds are considered a King when pushed together as well....at least they feel that big. I didn't notice a difference between Carnival and RC in that aspect.

We have sailed both Oasis and Allure and surprisingly never felt "6,000 people".....the ships are laid out very well as far as crowd controlling spaces, BUT just like on ANY ship, the same places have the same crowding......buffet, lunch time lines, shows letting out, comedy club too small etc.....but there are so many places to eat, see and do that because of that, they don't feel any more crowded than any other ship.....does that make sense??

The ships themselves are wonders and the "neighborhood" concepts are really unique in themselves. Not everyone likes the size or look, but they really are something to try (put them on your bucket list!). ;)

Having said that, we truly feel that they are in a class all by themselves and you really should not compare them to other ships in any line. A more fair comparison to the newer Carnival ships would be the next class down - Liberty, Independence and Freedom of the Seas.....

BUT as far as size....that is how they look compared to other "big" ships!!! But what is even more amazing is when they are docked next to the older ships (like we have seen RCI's Monarch of the Seas)...talk about what looks like a lifeboat next to them!! LOL

We are actually looking forward to a change though this time on Carnival Breeze! That ship looks like a lot of fun and are ready for something new!!

:D

Here's a great dead-on shot that Aviator of the Seas posted in a different thread:

I know it's been a while since this thread was last up but I thought I'd share some pictures since people enjoy those so much.

So new Oasis cruisers have an idea of her size, this is the Oasis next to the Carnival Dream in St. Maarten. The Dream is about the size of a RCI Voyager Class ship.

8220902041_c8509cfd01_z.jpg

My "Dream" is to sail both of them in the next couple of years. But I think I'll have to settle for the Breeze next time around. No complaints here. :D

We were "parked" beside the Oasis when we were on the Epic in 2010...oh wow. Big difference!

IMG_1676-M.jpg

Yes, monstrosity....

Though I am not saying I wouldn't love to cruise on it.

Curious though at how many engines, water pumps, etc are in that bottom room to stabilize that ship...I would love to take a behind the scenes tour of it, it would be fascinating imho.

I was on the Allure in October. I was pleasantly surprised by the ship. The only time I found crowding was in the Windjammer. Fortunately there are enough other eating venues that avoiding the Windjammer was easy to do. I had my grandchildren with me. There was never more than a five minute wait for the flowrider or the rock climbing wall. I would find it extremely difficult to become bored on this ship! The ship is run very efficiently.

... it appears that Oasis/Allure are ships that people love or don't.

With a few exceptions (obviously):

Lovers: People who HAVE cruised on them.

Haters: People who have NOT cruised on them.

I was a hater too, until I sailed on the Allure.

i am of the ilk that compare cruise ships of different cruise lines is a futile endeavor and to make it a competition to figure out the winner doesn't prove that one sails better than the other. personally, i think any ship should be judged on its own merits and its own wants. if i cruised on one ship and i ended up loosing 10 pounds i'd probably complain about the eating venues no matter how many or where they are. if i gained 10 lbs. i'd praise the ship even if i had to eat all my meals in an old fashioned dining room.

i think that RCCL in their newer ships have lost a lot of the elegance of a ship's exterior design and they do look like floating barges with a hotel on top. doesn't make the experience any worse or better just makes me, as an architect, understand once again that function trumps form in this modern world of ours.

Archived