Where to stay close to Vancouver Pier?

texasnana

Leaving on Holland America out of Vancouver. We need a good hotel near the pier were we can walk to the pier or take a short cab?We will be arriving and renting a car for a few days and returning back to the airport and then take the skylink? downtown.

Any ideas?

On your wallet. Major hotels in Canadas most expencive city to live in reflect that in their pricing. As I have told others on here my hotel of choice is the Pan Pacific because it sits right on top of the cruise center in Canada Place. All you have to do to depart is take the elevator down from your room. Depending on the time of year it will cost about $250/night. The other major chains close to the downtown core run similar prices. There are cheaper ones to be had but I've given you my preference for convienience. Unless you are planning travel outside Vancouver proper you don't need a car. The Hop on Hop off trolly or public transit will get you to all of the major sites to see. If you have one at your hotel it can easily be an extra $20-25/night for parking. The Skytrain from the airport has its last stop at the old train station which is 2 blocks from the Pan Pacific. A nice flat walk in a very safe part of town if you can manage your luggage. If you choose to cab it the fare from the airport will be $30-35 depending on the time of day and traffic. You are not likely to find any downtown hotels under $150/night. Some who have posted here use sites like Priceline but I prefer to pick my own hotel.

We need a good hotel near the pier were we can walk to the pier or take a short cab?

http://www.google.ca/hotels/?gl=CA#search;l=Vancouver%2C+Canada;q=vancouver+waterfront+hotels;d=2013-02-10;n=1

The Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront are 2 of the closest, best, and most expensive hotels on the waterfront.

If cost is a concern, the Days Inn is about 4 blocks away.

We will be arriving and renting a car for a few days and returning back to the airport and then take the skylink? downtown.

Keeping a car downtown is expensive as the parking rates are very high. Canadian car rentals is much higher than US cities than I have visited.

Vancouver's transit system is excellent and you can see most of the sites using it. I would offer these 2 suggestions on your stay.

1) Skytrain in from the airport and stay in a nice hotel downtown. Use transit/walk whenever possible for the local sites. If you want a day trip, rent a car from a downtown location and return in 24 hours. Unless you want to go to Whistler, most sites are accessible by transit.

2) Rent a car but stay in a hotel in Richmond/airport area, North Vancouver, Burnaby or on the fringes of Vancouver. Drop everyone off at the pier before returning the car.

Leaving on Holland America out of Vancouver. We need a good hotel near the pier were we can walk to the pier or take a short cab?We will be arriving and renting a car for a few days and returning back to the airport and then take the skylink? downtown.

Any ideas?

I used to stay in ancouver for business 4 or 5 times per year. Have stayed at most downtown hotels including the Pan Pacific. Howeer my hotel of choice for location, service and price would be the Delta Suites ( Delta is an upscale Canadian chain)

Now retired but my last stay was 2 years ago when i took HAL to Alaska.

https://www.deltahotels.com/Hotels/Delta-Vancouver-Suites

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so all of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place. However, here is a list of many that are within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Fairmont Vancouver

Tower at the Terminal City Club

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place

Sheraton at the Wall Centre

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

I am not certain why you would want to return the car to airport as all of the large rental companies have downtown locations and most will shuttle you from to Canada Place. You will spend a full hour plus doing a return trip to the airport.

Hi Putterdude!

You seem very knowledgable about Vancouver. I was thinking about booking the Coast Coal Harbour hotel for our post cruise night. (1 night stay) Any thoughts about the hotel?? We want to be in an area near Canada Place and near Stanley Park. Our plans for the day are to take the "HoHo" and hit as many of the sights as we can fit in on one day. We then leave the next a.m. for the train station to take the cascade to Seattle. Thinking taxi.

Thanks for your advice!

• 1 month later...

Archived