Donation to Haitians in Labadee?

Yes, several people have. I have arranged for a visit to the school myself in March. I am bringing 2 extra suitcases full of supplies for the school.

I can't expand on it anymore on these boards.

I imagine you would have to do some serious coordination. Only certain people can get in to the Labadee area, so you won't really be seeing many locals. With the people working there, I imagine cash is king based on my experience having been there. I wouldn't just bring things assuming to give them over to the Haitians if that's what you are wondering.

Coordinating through a reputable charity that has boots on the ground in Haiti is probably your best bet, which will likely happen before or after, and not during, your very short stay in "Haiti". (Anyone who has been to Labadee knows that it's Haiti in name only).

If you're interested in helping the earthquake victims specifically, keep in mind that the Cap-Haitien area (including Labadee) didn't get much if any damage from the earthquake, as it was very much centered on the south of Haiti around Port-au-Prince. That being said, all of Haiti is incredibly poor and in need of assistance.

Lots of groups have contacts in Haiti. Check with some of the "Critters" from the UK, as they were doing something with musical instruments for the school in Haiti. There was another group that was donating clothes.

I imagine you would have to do some serious coordination. Only certain people can get in to the Labadee area, so you won't really be seeing many locals. With the people working there, I imagine cash is king based on my experience having been there. I wouldn't just bring things assuming to give them over to the Haitians if that's what you are wondering.

Coordinating through a reputable charity that has boots on the ground in Haiti is probably your best bet, which will likely happen before or after, and not during, your very short stay in "Haiti". (Anyone who has been to Labadee knows that it's Haiti in name only).

If you're interested in helping the earthquake victims specifically, keep in mind that the Cap-Haitien area (including Labadee) didn't get much if any damage from the earthquake, as it was very much centered on the south of Haiti around Port-au-Prince. That being said, all of Haiti is incredibly poor and in need of assistance.

True, I was only able to arrange the visit to the local school by special arrangement with Royal Caribbean. If you are talking about a large scale drive, you are right - go through existing charities. My visit is simple, small scale

When I was in Labadee last I took some musical instruments (for the school) with (this was after the Critters trip). I arranged to leave them at the office on site and handed them over to the office manager himself. If you go to the Critters Board on CC you can read some more..... it's not all good news unfortunately and I have no current contact there.

Archived