All things wi fi

Info posted today.

So far, only Allure has unlimited plans. These were the prices posted by someone on Allure:

$5.99 for a Half Hour Session, which can only be used in the internet cafe.

$8.99 for an Hour Session, also only available in the internet cafe.

$24.99 for a Daily Plan, with continuous access from time of purchase for a 24 hour period.

$69.99 for a Daily Family Plan, where you can use up to 4 devices to log in simultaneously.

$149.95 for the Cruise Plan, which is unlimited access for the duration of the cruise.

$419.95 for the Weekly Family Plan which is Unlimited access for the duration of the cruise for 4 devices.

Navigator of the Seas offered unlimited plans as outlined above this past January.

Has anyone been successful with using Skype or Facetime on the Oasis? I'm interested in getting an internet plan only if I can keep in touch with my toddler. He's so use to us skyping or using facetime when we go out of town. Does Oasis have the unlimited plan yet?

I'm guessing it won't be fast enough but I'll let you know tomorrow. Also let you know about the unlimited plan.

As promised I have hard numbers. Frankly they're not as bad as I expected. We are still in port so that may be why. I was not given the option for an unlimited Internet package. I opted for 500 minutes for $150.00.

Speedtest.net results:

2529682348.png

I will repeat the test after we are at sea.

As promised I have hard numbers. Frankly they're not as bad as I expected. We are still in port so that may be why. I was not given the option for an unlimited Internet package. I opted for 500 minutes for $150.00.

Speedtest.net results:

2529682348.png

That's surpsingly fast, much higher than I expected. The latency though is very high, due to the satellite path, and might cause VPN issues.

On a recent Explorer cruise, I had marginal results with access from the promenade, internet café and library. Excellent results in the Viking Crown. Previous cruises, I tried my ISP webmail but had certificate issues and it would never work. I use Outlook now, and it works really well. You can compose emails and send when you are off line. They go into a queue, and when you get connected , they automatically get sent.

Speed was not bad. I could send and receive every couple of days in just a few minutes. Wife used her Ipad , and it seemed to be more reliable getting connected. The first time she used it, she could not figure out how to log off. Guest services was able to helpID her set up the process and she was good to go from there on out.

We were on a 9 day, 10 day and 7 day b2b, and had time left over from our D+ coupon which gives us 90 minutes each cruise.

Unusual thing that happened was that I was unable to use my regular ID from cruise to cruise, it was not cleared out of the system each cruise, so I had to have a new ID each time. This had never happened before.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your experience.

On my B2B last year I was informed that the first cruise ID would be cut off at the end of week 1 and any unused time would be lost. I had to recreate the ID again at the Online place. My understanding is that this is pretty much standard; similarly my on board account was settled at the end of week 1.

Speedtest.net results:

2529682348.png

We are on Oasis in 2 weeks. We were spoiled on Allure in January with the unlimited priced around $130 and we had an emerald discount coupon.

We we never able to facetime calling out, it would always ring and fail to connect. We did discover that the folks at home could facetime us and it would connect to us. We just set up a time and they would call us every other day. Perfect way to see our DS after he got off the bus.

Andrew

That's surpsingly fast, much higher than I expected. The latency though is very high, due to the satellite path, and might cause VPN issues.

I agree. Will be interesting to see the speeds at sea.

That high a latency will also seriously affect page loading times, reducing the apparent speed, of course. It's one of O3b's big selling points that their lower orbit satellites will dramatically reduce the latency due to that path.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Seems the website's dated, I can't imagine you have to have a laptop with windows. I've heard plenty of people discuss accessing with tablets and smartphones.

Right...you don't need Windows. It works fine with tablets and smartphones. I use an Android tablet with keyboard dock and mouse. It works just like a laptop but is much smaller and lighter, and has much longer battery life. It works fine on the ship. WiFi is very slow however. Set your e-mail client to download headers only (this is true no matter what OS you use).

We are on Oasis in 2 weeks. We were spoiled on Allure in January with the unlimited priced around $130 and we had an emerald discount coupon.

We we never able to facetime calling out, it would always ring and fail to connect. We did discover that the folks at home could facetime us and it would connect to us. We just set up a time and they would call us every other day. Perfect way to see our DS after he got off the bus.

Andrew

We cruised on Allure in December and was also spoiled with the unlimited internet. It looks like we are on the same sailing on Oasis in 2 weeks. I was hoping they would have rolled out the unlimited plan on Oasis by now.

Unlimited access? Really? Is that available on all ships (ok, my focus right now is on the Freedom).?

Given the prices, that's not bad....hmmmmmmm

Thanks,

Scott

No, only on Allure which started late last year. No other RC ships at this time, yet. I hope it is to come to more.

Unlimited access? Really? Is that available on all ships (ok, my focus right now is on the Freedom).?

Given the prices, that's not bad....hmmmmmmm

Thanks,

Scott

My memory may be faulty, but I thought someone mentioned unlimited access on Navigator, in addition to Allure.

Edited by clarea