Which area to stay in?

BeachBum1007

Hello all!

I have been researching hotels throughout the board and on trip advisor and I've come across a lot of recommendations, but I still need your help. We are staying two nights post-cruise in July and are trying to find a convenient location. We prefer to be near Metro as well since we are going to be awfully tired of walking after 12 days. We need two triple rooms (or available extra bed), which seems to be the biggest problem when finding a hotel. The most we want to spend per night is around $250 each, which eliminates many of the recommendations everyone has made.

So my question is, which is the best area? Top of the Ramblas near Placa Catalunya? Near the Cathedral? Near the Gaudi sites? Or since we're going to see it all anyways, there's no such thing as a the perfect central and convenient location?

Here are some that I'm considering... Hotel Jazz (but most expensive), Hotel Barcelona Universal (seems far?), Hotel Colon Regencia (cathedral), NH Centro (Rick Steve's recommendation), Continental (mixed reviews), Curious. Any reason that you wouldn't choose one of these? I would love the 1898, Inglaterra, Monte Carlo, or other common recommendations... but I have champagne taste and beer money. :rolleyes: Oh well, just a place to sleep, right? :D

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!! So overwhelming!

I posted some notes on the various districts of Barcelona in this thread (post #3)

To answer your specific questions

Las Ramblas, the Cathedral area and Plaza Catalunya are all good central locations and also good for getting to other areas of the city.

The hotels you mention

Jazz (€187) – very popular here on CC. 5 minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya. It is at the very top of your budget.

Barcelona Universal (€156) – very close to the metro and about 15 minutes walk to Las Ramblas

Regencia Colon (€134) – in the Gothic Quarter near the Cathedral.

NH Barcelona Centro – not sure they do triple rooms

Continental Barcelona (€166) – on Las Ramblas. As you say it gets very mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it.

Curious (€173) – 5 minutes from Las Ramblas and the metro

Of those, I would certainly choose Hotel Regencia Colon. I have stayed there several times and I think it is good value for money if all you want is a base for sightseeing for a couple of nights. There is no bar or restaurant (except for breakfast) in the hotel but its sister Hotel Colon is just across the street and has a bar and a restaurant (although it is expensive)

Others, within your budget, to consider

Flor Parks (€148) – on Las Ramblas near Liceu Metro Station

Husa Oriente (€155) – on Las Ramblas, slightly further away from Liceu Metro than Flor Parks

Lleó (€170) – similar area to Hotel Jazz

Moderno (€126) – just off Las Ramblas it is the nearest of these hotels to Liceu Metro

My prices are estimates for a triple room per night in July ($250 is approximately €185)

With 6 of you have you considered an apartment? It is possible to get them for 2 nights and it might be cheaper than 2 triple rooms.

My advice would be, whatever you decide, book it soon as Barcelona is busy at that time.

Let us know what you decide.

Staying near the top of Las Ramblas is a great location. HOHO bus lines intersect there, metro & train close by. If you are flying in or out airport bus stops there.

We have been to Barcelona 5 times and always stay around the top of Las Ramblas.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your help Carol and Jelayne!

Just to let you know, we ended up choosing Hotel Jazz for its reputation and location.

One question though, hopefully someone has experience with this...

I booked the hotel via email because the website was saying they were sold out. They booked two triple rooms with my credit card and sent me my reservation number. However, when I put this number into their website to verify it, it would not work- saying it did not exist. I contacted the hotel and they said because I did not book online it would not work. They assured me that I indeed had reservations, however. I just want to make sure that this isn't sketchy and I'm not sending my credit card number to a random person claiming to be the hotel. Has anybody had any experience with this? The woman who I talked to from the hotel is named Sarah, if that helps.

Thank you!

Archived