Ideas for 2nd time in Rome?

Peteymil

We did Orvieto and loved it. You go through some interesting scenery. It is 2 hours both ways and the drive was very pleasant. Once there- you do quite a bit of walking (which I liked) and you amble through the little streets. Views from Orvieto are lovely and the Orvieto Cathedral is an marvel.

We did the ship tour and I highly recommend it. The lunch they served us was lovely and a good time was had by all.

IMG_2212.jpg.eb69eff5371f7be53b29b17421a2d59d.jpg

We did a Med cruise a few years ago and did a private tour with Rome In Limo, so we say the typical highlights in Rome. We are going back this summer, does anyone have ideas. from experience, for different things to do?

If you did a typical highlights tour, why not go into the city by train or a "rome on your own" transfer and just get a feel for the true Rome? Stroll the streets, have a nice lunch, check out the piazzas and lesser known churches which have some very interesting art. Or head over to the Borghese - usually something not included in an overview tour because special reservations needed.

If you are starting and ending in Rome with a few more days....Hank, Eurocruiser and cruisemom could probably list a multitude of things to see.

If you did a typical highlights tour, why not go into the city by train or a "rome on your own" transfer and just get a feel for the true Rome? Stroll the streets, have a nice lunch, check out the piazzas and lesser known churches which have some very interesting art. Or head over to the Borghese - usually something not included in an overview tour because special reservations needed.

If you are starting and ending in Rome with a few more days....Hank, Eurocruiser and cruisemom could probably list a multitude of things to see.

...just have the one day in port

...just have the one day in port

What interested you most on first trip? Do you love museums with antiquities or art? Ancient ruins? Or just soaking up atmosphere? Are there any physical issues which have to be taken into account for getting around? And, most importantly, are you more comfortable doing only prearranged tours in Europe or do you want to strike out on your own now that you've gotten your "rome-legs"?

Yes -- let us know more. Are you going to be in Rome for just another port day or for a pre- or post-cruise stay. And what did you see before? (Colosseum, Vatican, and ....???)

If you were only in Rome previously for a port day, you've hardly scratched the surface; I certainly wouldn't think of sites outside Rome with so very much to see in the city. For example, did you have a chance to actually walk in the Forum or Palatine Hill? Did you get to climb the tower at St. Peter's?

Other sites: Castel Sant'Angelo (Hadrian's tomb), Largo Argentina (where Caesar was murdered), the Pantheon.

Other museums: The Borghese Gallery (excellent collection of mainly Renaissance art with some other pieces); Capitoline Museums (ancient Roman sculpture, mosaics, etc), the Ara Pacis (Augustan Altar of Peace, a beautifully carved monument).

Plus all the art in Rome's churches, all the beautiful fountains, etc. Yes, there's a ton to do in Rome. :)

We did a Med cruise a few years ago and did a private tour with Rome In Limo, so we say the typical highlights in Rome. We are going back this summer, does anyone have ideas. from experience, for different things to do?

We are going to Rome for the fourth time...once it gets into your blood it does not want to leave. With pre and post cruise stays we have been there 7 days and still have never had the time to just sit and soak up the atmosphere. Like you, on our first time there on a one day tour, all we did was run from place to place.....you don't get the feel of it that way. If you have not seen the Borghese, it is a must, so is the Capitoline museum.

What interested you most on first trip? Do you love museums with antiquities or art? Ancient ruins? Or just soaking up atmosphere? Are there any physical issues which have to be taken into account for getting around? And, most importantly, are you more comfortable doing only prearranged tours in Europe or do you want to strike out on your own now that you've gotten your "rome-legs"?

I would do a museum like the Borghese and the Capitoline, but I would also like some time to just soak up the atmosphere. I would be willing to diy, and we love to walk.

Is this a port stop?

If so, I'd suggest starting your day with the Borghese. One museum a day is probably enough, so I'd advise choosing one. If history is more your thing than art, go for Capitoline.

Let's say you choose the Borghese. Make your reservations ahead of time. You can take the train to Termini and a bus from there to the museum. It takes a couple of hours to see both the lower (sculpture) and upper (paintings and frescoes) levels.

After that, assuming it's a nice day, you could take a lovely stroll through the Borghese gardens (Villa Borghese) and make your way back into town for lunch, maybe in the Piazza del Popolo area, or along Via Marguta.

We've done a few different tours with Romeinlimo out of Civitavecchia. Last year we did Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio. I am in LOVE with these two villages. I can't wait to return. TONS of good options for the day besides Rome. Have fun!

I would do a museum like the Borghese and the Capitoline, but I would also like some time to just soak up the atmosphere. I would be willing to diy, and we love to walk.

The area around Trastavere (sp?) & Jewish Ghetto area is a wonderful place to walk, & the Cat Sanctuary with the Roman Ruins is pretty cool too, I think this is the location that Cruise Mom mentioned where Ceasar was actually killed.

River near Trastavere:

riverneartrastavere_zps38d6a0b5.jpg

river2_zpsb834d130.jpg

The area around Trastavere (sp?) & Jewish Ghetto area is a wonderful place to walk, & the Cat Sanctuary with the Roman Ruins is pretty cool too, I think this is the location that Cruise Mom mentioned where Ceasar was actually killed.

Trastevere is a wonderful neighborhood....like a small town in a big city. Lots of restaurants both there and in Jewish Ghetto.

Archived