Gem Delayed

Beachbum1944

To whomever still cares (ie not already sailing on the ship), we had to back-track close to the shore of PR after leaving DR much earlier the afternoon prior, to get close enough for a Coast Guard helicopter to evac the passenger. We were in the horizon Garden Villa, so the helicopter hovered above our bedrooms (we watched from living room), to lift the passenger into the helicopter. It was an INTENSE operation at 1am in completely dark seas. They tried hard to make up time afterwards, but winds were working against them.

To whomever still cares (ie not already sailing on the ship), we had to back-track close to the shore of PR after leaving DR much earlier the afternoon prior, to get close enough for a Coast Guard helicopter to evac the passenger. We were in the horizon Garden Villa, so the helicopter hovered above our bedrooms (we watched from living room), to lift the passenger into the helicopter. It was an INTENSE operation at 1am in completely dark seas. They tried hard to make up time afterwards, but winds were working against them.

Thanks for the update...

Oh wow. Thanks for the update - hopefully the evacuated passenger is on the mend and will make it home soon.

On Sunday January the 27th, The Gem did not arrive into New York City until almost noon. Disembarkation took place once the ship was cleared. Embarkation began as soon as all passengers had left the ship. According to The Gem's web cam, they sailed out of NYC about 6:30 P.M.

OMG that must have been scary. I spoke with the Captain of the Gem about airlifts and he told me they almost never do them because of how dangerous they are. I can only imagine how tough it is in rough seas in pitch black.

Hope you had a nice cruise otherwise.

I like your screen name. Are you a Lawyer? I am and I work in Garden City:)

OMG that must have been scary. I spoke with the Captain of the Gem about airlifts and he told me they almost never do them because of how dangerous they are. I can only imagine how tough it is in rough seas in pitch black.

Hope you had a nice cruise otherwise.

I like your screen name. Are you a Lawyer? I am and I work in Garden City:)

Hi Cheryl Its Ed and Lynn from the Summit cruise. We too were on the Gem with Legallyblonder. They airlifted the passenger safely with a nurse from the medial team. The captain then needed to make up time, but the seas were not cooperating. We hit some rough weather from the storm traveling north, and he couldn't do the speed he wanted too, to make up the time. We arrived back into NY about two hours late. Getting off has a real mess. Pier 88 still has no heat or working elevators. Had to do immigrations onboard the the lines snaked around the entire ship. Happy cruising to you. Fishon Ed says hello.

Archived