Gem Delayed

Beachbum1944

We received the same message. Have to change our plans on getting to nyc. We had plan on getting there by 11 am.

wait a minute, are you sure they said delay in debark? Or did you just get the standard email that says to show up at a specific time?

I always get the emails saying show up between 1 and 3pm or something like that, but I know that is just for crowd control not because of any problem with the ship.

I ignore them BTW and still show up at 11am.

I thought the message said embarkation was delayed until 2:00. Our flight arrives at 9:45 a.m. Does anyone know how early we can drop our luggage at the cruise terminal? At least if we can drop it off, we can explore NYC for a few hours... maybe Brooklyn Diner for breakfast??

I still had the message on my answering machine and listened to it again. It said that Embarcation has been delayed until 2pm due to a medical emergency. My paperwork says that embarcation is 12 noon. So there is now a 2 hour delay to board the ship.

I too received the same message that the disembarkation time has been delayed until 2pm "due to a medical emergency while returning to NYC".

Does anyone have any more information about the "medical emergency"?

I hope that everyone on the ship isn't sick.

Thanks.

I too received the same message that the disembarkation time has been delayed until 2pm "due to a medical emergency while returning to NYC".

Does anyone have any more information about the "medical emergency"?

I hope that everyone on the ship isn't sick.

Thanks.

I hope not. Not a way to start a vacation.

I hope not. Not a way to start a vacation.

Our message, on the cell phone, said embarkation. That means boarding the ship. So that means instead do boarding at 12, we board at 2pm.:mad:

Does anyone know why? I hope not to disinfect the ship!!!

Bring your lysol

See you tomorrow

We were delayed on the Dec 22-31 Gem cruise. Expect pandemonium. Everyone will be jammed up to get off. Everyone will be the same to get on. They will now do the turn around in 1/2 time so it will be a mad house.

Just get there somewhat early and expect this if have to be there and upfront. Or you can stop, park or get of your cab and drop off your luggage to the dock porters, just tip them well and walk up to the Times Square area or see the intrepid.

The only reason to get on early is to get on missing the lines faster, enjoy the ship and lunch.

You will not find that this time. This is the one time where being late will be to your advantage unless you love stand and sit around with other people getting riled up about it.

Hey your less than 5 blocks from Times square get there when you planned and see some of the city. Go across the street and walk around a bit it is safe and fun. Hell's Kitchen is 3 blocks and times square just past that.

If you are getting this message adjust your times. I was told that the Dec 22 cruise was getting in late & I asked my traveling companions if we wanted to delay our trip into NYC. The said no. We arrived at 11:30 on NYE but NCL had only just started disembarkation . . . . what a mess.

Now I'm worried though. Friends were on that sailing & she has health issues. I'm going to panic until I hear her voice.

Someone currwently on the Gem just posted on our roll call (We're leaving tomorrow). She said that it was an appendisitis (sp?) and that the person needed to be airlifted off the ship which caused a delay and they are also experiencing rough seas which is also delaying the ship. She also reported that they are now listing that the final time for debarkation is 12:45.

I thought the message said embarkation was delayed until 2:00. Our flight arrives at 9:45 a.m. Does anyone know how early we can drop our luggage at the cruise terminal? At least if we can drop it off, we can explore NYC for a few hours... maybe Brooklyn Diner for breakfast??

dont worry, you won't be anywhere near the terminal before noon. I wouldn't go far into NYC as the terminal is not all that close to midtown and I personally would not be comfortable leaving my luggage because I can just see the old pax and new pax luggage being mixed up.

Just take your time at the airport, don't rush and then get your transport into NYC and wait the hour or 2 to embark.

It is not going to be a pretty turnaround day for the Gem as it looks now, but I still wouldn't let my luggage out of my sight due to the situation.

Heck, I wouldn't be traveling with anything more than a 21 inch roll on and tote anyway which would always be by my side.

BTW, NYC is still going to be in a deep freeze so maybe hanging out at the airport is not so bad.

We were delayed on the Dec 22-31 Gem cruise. Expect pandemonium. Everyone will be jammed up to get off. Everyone will be the same to get on. They will now do the turn around in 1/2 time so it will be a mad house.

Just get there somewhat early and expect this if have to be there and upfront. Or you can stop, park or get of your cab and drop off your luggage to the dock porters, just tip them well and walk up to the Times Square area or see the intrepid.

The only reason to get on early is to get on missing the lines faster, enjoy the ship and lunch.

You will not find that this time. This is the one time where being late will be to your advantage unless you love stand and sit around with other people getting riled up about it.

Hey your less than 5 blocks from Times square get there when you planned and see some of the city. Go across the street and walk around a bit it is safe and fun. Hell's Kitchen is 3 blocks and times square just past that.

it is going to be like 15 degrees tomorrow in NYC and Times Square is not around the corner and better done in 50 degree weather

Just got another call from NCL telling us to get to the port no earlier than 2:00 pm. We will probably be there earlier than that. We don't mind sitting around a little longer. We will be on the beginning of our vacation, having nice talks with fellow passengers.

BTW, temp should be at 30 degrees. We could always go next door and see the Intrepid.

She still has a way to go. Assuming the tracker is accurate, she's parallel with Baltimore. 2pm seems liberal. Too bad as my hotel room (Hilton Timesquare) has a perfect view of where the Gem docks Would have made a great pic. More time to explore NYC on this balmy day. :)

I hope the cruiser who was airlifted is feeling better soon.

J

She still has a way to go. Assuming the tracker is accurate, she's parallel with Baltimore. 2pm seems liberal. Too bad as my hotel room (Hilton Timesquare) has a perfect view of where the Gem docks Would have made a great pic. More time to explore NYC on this balmy day. :)

I hope the cruiser who was airlifted is feeling better soon.

J

You must be looking at an out of date position. She's just off of Sandy Hook, about to enter the harbor.

Looking at the AIS, it looks like the Gem has just embarked the harbor pilot passing Sandy Hook. Probably less than two hours to arrive, now....

You may watch (and listen) her arrival live here http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/ and here http://167.118.191.8/shipcams/gemcam/fullsize.jpg?browser_popup=320x240 ... the latter requires manual refreshing every minute....

Archived