What to take on Excursions or Beach

Overwhelming

I don't think debit cards work well in other countries. Standard credit cards, yes, but debit cards, no.

There are many secure ways to do this. Take the minimum amount of critical stuff- cash, etc. There are water proof cases that hang around your neck, or inside pockets on swim suits- secured with a safety pin if needed.

Things like sunscreen and towels can be left on most beaches. They don't have much value to thieves.

Take minimal cash and risk losing it, risk losing sunscreen, carry credit cards in a pocket of a bathing suiit. Get one of the men to buy shorts with a zip pocket if they haven't already got one.

With 8 in the family, there's a fair chance at least one of you won't be in the water anyway.

I don't think debit cards work well in other countries. Standard credit cards, yes, but debit cards, no.

There are many secure ways to do this. Take the minimum amount of critical stuff- cash, etc. There are water proof cases that hang around your neck, or inside pockets on swim suits- secured with a safety pin if needed.

Things like sunscreen and towels can be left on most beaches. They don't have much value to thieves.

I've always used my debit card in other countries. Europe, Mexico, Caribbean...No issues other than a small charge for use.

Don't forget that you will need other valuable items to get off & on the ship. You will need a place for your Photo IDs, as well as Sail&Sign or SeaPass or whatever your cruise line calls their cabin room card. Most department stores that sell luggage or camping gear have little locking "safes" that attach to a chair or umbrella. But w/ a group as large as yours it's still a safer bet to leave at least some one on the beach to watch everything. Or book a day pass at local resort that offers lockers (search the port boards for info).

A straight debit card may be a problem. A debit card with a credit card logo -- Visa or MC -- less problems.

For water based excursions we take a little cash ($20), a credit card, sun screen, towels, books, & a camera. Even with only 2 of us, we're rarely in the water at the same time. The camera isn't that valuable. We'd lose more memories than money. The CC & cash just get wet.

If we're all in the water at once, we bring the cash and cards and get it wet. Everyone in the cruise ports seems to take wet money :)

I try to download the pics from my camera every night because you never know when it will get wet or get dropped and I want to lose as few pics as possible. I usually leave my camera in my backpack with my towel, sunscreen, and kindle, on a beach chair. I don't bring the iPad if I think I'll be leaving the stuff on a chair without me.

Archived