Smoking on celebrity

Cathyandchuck

In my opinion Celebrity does a very poor job in delivering its no smoking policy to its passengers. How would a first-time X-crusier know the policy? Especially almost every other mainstream cruise line allows smoking on the balcony. It's only mentioned in a tiny corner on the "Celebrity Today". There's NO "no smoking" signs in the cabins or on the balcony. Yes, there's a TINY non-smoking icon on the seapass card but it's really not obvious. There is no mention of the no-smoking policy on the cruise docs or Xpress Pass anywhere (if it's there it is not obvious to me).

I suggest Celebrity make every passenger sign or initial a box that clearly states the non-smoking policy and its penalty during check-in, or make that an additional item on the Xpress pass.

We just returned from a fantastic cruise on the Summit. Only problem(a major one!) was that our neighbors were smoking on their balcony! We tried complaining to our room steward and the guest relations desk (3 times!) and finally got it stopped for a couple days but by the last evening they were back to smoking! Couldn't be out on our deck at sunset or in the am. Very frustrating!

Has anyone been successful in getting rude & inconsiderate neighbors to stop smoking? This was our third celebrity cruise & never had this problem & don't want to have it in the future

Cathy

I hope you called them every time you smelled the smoke. This is a safety concern for the entire ship and they definitely should address it and they usually do. What was their excuse?

However, as annoying as it is, too much perfume is at least not harmful to our health, like sidestream cigarette smoke is.

Sorry, but you can't be more wrong. I have chemically induced asthma and can not tell you the number of times I've gotten off elevators on formal night gasping for breath and my inhaler. Obviously, cigarettes are not great for me either and I wouldn't hesitate to call guess services as many times as needed to stop smoking in near by cabins.

I quit Celebrity a few years back when the smoking ban came in. I could never understand why they enforced it on an outdoor space. Since then - have enjoyed many cruises on various lines (WITH LESS SMOKING RESTRICTIONS) BUT and its a major BUTT for me..

I can finally come home! Smoke free now for nearly five months and absolutely NO CHANCE of me starting again.

NOW I KNOW!!! I can smell smokers as I stroll through a supermarket - can pin point as they pass by in the aisles. And that stench outside doorways - oh hell....was that really me for all those years...

I already have my 2013 cruise booked but looking forward to catching up with news on Celebrity again and perhaps in 2014 - we can return "home".

I can now fully understand and apprecaite why one would want their balcony a smoke free zone - I can hardly believe it myself - I DID IT = YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!

And Yes, I know they say reformed smokers are the worst -

Looking forward to returning to X -

see you soon!

I quit Celebrity a few years back when the smoking ban came in. I could never understand why they enforced it on an outdoor space. Since then - have enjoyed many cruises on various lines (WITH LESS SMOKING RESTRICTIONS) BUT and its a major BUTT for me..

I can finally come home! Smoke free now for nearly five months and absolutely NO CHANCE of me starting again.

NOW I KNOW!!! I can smell smokers as I stroll through a supermarket - can pin point as they pass by in the aisles. And that stench outside doorways - oh hell....was that really me for all those years...

I already have my 2013 cruise booked but looking forward to catching up with news on Celebrity again and perhaps in 2014 - we can return "home".

I can now fully understand and apprecaite why one would want their balcony a smoke free zone - I can hardly believe it myself - I DID IT = YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!

see you soon!

Yes, an ex-smoker is a LOT more sensitive to smoke than someone who has never smoked.

see you soon!

Congratulations!! I understand how hard it is to quit and you really deserve a pat on the back! I always thought no one could tell I was a smoker until I quit.:eek: My DH would not let me put my clothes in the same suitcase as his! Enjoy Celebrity - it really is a "breath of fresh air"

WOW...I am quite surprised that was Guest Relations response to you:eek:

I thought someone in Management and/or security would be the

one to handle it:confused:

Lois, I had the same reaction when I read that. The poor room steward gets caught right in the middle of that situation. Either he says nothing to the smoker, and risks that the complaining party will adjust his tips for lack of service; or he offends the smoker by effectively warning him/her that they will be fined, if the smoking continues. But, the scenario gets even worse for the steward when he warns the smoker -- who takes offense, but doesn't stop; then the person who complained thinks the steward did absolutely nothing. Poor guy, just can't win! :rolleyes:

see you soon!

Congratulations!! I've read articles about smokers and their sense of smell and it comes back after they quit. You are going to love returning to X. We just came back from a RCCL cruise and our balcony experience was ruined by a chain smoker two balconies away from us. I'm ready to go back to Celebrity this summer!!

Wow, good for you! What a huge, potentially life-saving lifestyle change for you. When smokers think about all the benefits of stopping smoking I guess it's only the former Celebrity smokers who also think in terms of being able to sail with Celebrity again. That made me smile!

And I agree, when you don't smoke you can smell it a mile away...and the closer it gets the worse it is. There's no such thing as hiding smoking...

Huge congrats for beating it!

Peach

I would complain to guest relations first, if that did not resolve the matter I would take it up with offender directly.

I don't mean in an aggressive manner but surely you are entitled to enjoy your Cruise smoke free.

A direct appeal for the rules to be met may have a positive outcome if they are reasonable people?

If not then I guess its plan B.

Thank you everyone for the kind congrats!

I only wish I had taken this step years ago - it was MUCH easier than I ever dreamed possible. Just one of those "light bulb moments" when I woke up and thought "thats IT" - no more.

I cant wait to return - have since tried a few lines, and have had some wonderful cruises - but - Celebrity still has a hold on my heart and I have never even experienced the soltice ships - so lots to look forward to.

Health aside, the money I have saved should pay well and truly for more cruising!

Thanks again.:)

see you soon!

Congratulations!!! I am an ex-smoker, too, and yes, I know I'm terrible about it, but I just hate even the slightest hint of a whiff of smoke or the stale smoke smell that lingers on smokers all the time. Yuck! I love Celebrity's smoking policy, and I hope they work on enforcing it. I will continue to report smoking in prohibited areas, especially balconies, and hopefully, with persistence, we can some day have the truly smoke-free experience that Celebrity promises.

I would be happy if they would just begin a process of consistently enforcing the rules. Then decide if enough smokers still break the rules to up the ante to $1000.

Good point. As a matter of fact, that would be easy to enforce since, as I recall, you have to post your credit card when you sign in. When someone is caught violating the smoking rules, simply debit their account for the fine-problem solved.

No, you do not have to give a credit card when you check in. Many people set up cash accounts and never use a credit card at all.

So, you charge the cash account. If the cash account is not sufficient, then they are not allowed off the ship until the balance is paid. This, by the way, is very common. As you will recall, you must present your card to the employee who scans it before you are allowed to depart.

We sailed on the Milennium in November 2012 and smoking was allowed in certain areas, only on the outside decks. The problem was that huge number of smokers would take over a large section of the pool area, making it impossible for a non-smoker to sit anywhere nearby. I think smoking areas should be restricted to deck areas that are not in such high demand, as their smoking makes it really unpleasant for the vast majority of guests. :eek:

When we reported a smoker in the next cabin, Security was there in about 3 min knocking (loudly) on their door. If it happens again, I think I will try asking Guest Relations to transfer/connect me with Security to report the smoker as it doesn't seem they are as proactive as they once were.

I like the idea about calling security.

Good point. As a matter of fact, that would be easy to enforce since, as I recall, you have to post your credit card when you sign in. When someone is caught violating the smoking rules, simply debit their account for the fine-problem solved.

I'm with you! I still don't get Xs promotion of their strict smoking policy and then not wanting to enforce it at the risk of offending the offenders. On my Millie cruise, as far as I can tell, there was no enforcement at all since my numerous guest relations calls to report the chain-smoking cigar smoker next door did nothing other than cause him to toss his cigar butts into the ocean when someone came to his door to enquire. He still smoked every night.

On Solstice, we luckily did not have smokers near us on the balcony, but we smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway outside our cabin, right at the starboard entrance to the library. The smoke was wafting into the library, apparently from someone's stateroom. I reported that one, and I think it was security came up, but the correct cabin was never found. At least we never smelled that smoke again.

I would like to see swift justice brought to the smokers, because they do impact the overall experience for those of us who like non-stinky, clean air. And if it were dealt with promptly and firmly, we would not have to spend so much time on the phone reporting the same smoker day after day after day. It was annoying, to say the least!

Archived