Conquest 1-27 Mini Review - the Goods and Bads

Rowan555

Got back yesterday, a bit under the weather, figured I would go ahead and post some thoughts on the good and bad of this cruise.

The Good -

Alchemy Bar is the best thing Carnival has done in years. It was the highlight of our cruise, and the three bartenders will be remembered for a long time to come for the excellent service, creativity, and friendliness. The Mixology Class was also great, my husband says it was the best part of his cruise. Adri, Tetyana, and Izabella are some of the most talented bartenders you will ever meet.

Blue Iguana Cantina/Guy's Burgers/Red Frog Rum Bar/Blue Iguana Tequila Bar - These venues add SO much personality to the Lido Deck, which is something Carnival has needed for a long time. The generic bars and food venues pre-2.0 will be difficult to go back to on our upcoming Elation cruise.

Hasbro Game Show - it was fun, my daughter really enjoyed trying to get on stage, and I think it's a nice addition to the cruise. For those who worry it replaces nighttime entertainment, it was at 3:30 PM on two days, and at 7:30 PM one other day.

Debarkation - despite a slight delay in the ship being cleared, this was the fastest debarkation we've ever experienced. Customs was processing each party in less than 20 seconds - amazing.

The Bad -

Our cabin was HOT. Day 3, after two nights of awful sleep, we had them come check it out - it was 71.9 degrees, which was "within Carnival Standards" but not within our own comfort level. We were issued a small fan to use, which did help - but we were happy to come home and crank up the a/c last night.

Camp Carnival - the counselors for the 9-11 yo group seemed to not care for kids too much. They also failed to stick to the schedule, and they told the kids that they would be CLOSED all day in Cozumel, so not to come to any of the activities. When my daughter went anyway just in case, she was told they'd canceled the activities b/c no one showed up. The second to last night, my daughter questioned a ruling the counselor made on a game they were playing, and my daughter and two other children witnessed the counselor call my daughter "the b word" (to avoid having this post deleted) under her breath. My daughter elected to NOT return to camp on the last day. We go on so many cruises b/c my kids have always had a blast in camp. If my daughter was not going to be 12, and able to do Circle C next cruise, we'd probably cancel. She just didn't have nearly the same amount of fun she's had in the past.

Food - while the new additions are great, the dining room fare continues to sink in quality. We also used to enjoy grabbing a late night burger around 12:30 after the comedy shows - but since the old grill is gone, so are the burgers. Late night snacks now consist of hot dogs, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, and buffalo chicken sandwiches. Chips have replaced fries. In addition, no more late night Mexican Buffet on Cozumel night. I hope the pre-2.0 ships still have this???

Perhaps we've just been on too many cruises. Or maybe the Magic last year spoiled us. I booked a 5 day on the Elation the first sea day of this cruise. By the last day I was wondering if we really want to keep that reservation. It's a quick cruise without the kids, and it was super cheap - otherwise I think we'd lean towards flying somewhere for a short land vacation instead.

That should read "1/20-1/27" - Oops!

I did not report the counselor, because my daughter asked me not to. She wasn't sure if she'd decide to do any activities the next day, and she felt nervous showing up after complaining. She elected to skip the activities the next day. I also know it would have done little good to complain, but I may send them a letter anyway, now that I've had some time to think about it. This was during the late night party for which I paid nearly $40, and I'm not particularly thrilled that the counselor behaved in that manner at all, much less the one time I was paying for my daughter to participate in the special party.

Hi - Sorry to hear you daughter had such a rough time at Camp Carnival. That really is too bad.

Question for you. This will be my first VIP embarkation...what time to you suggest getting to the port to board? I am staying with friends of mine in Mandeville, so we'll be driving over and being dropped off embarkation morning.

Thanks...Hope you have a better time on the Elation!

Hi - Sorry to hear you daughter had such a rough time at Camp Carnival. That really is too bad.

Question for you. This will be my first VIP embarkation...what time to you suggest getting to the port to board? I am staying with friends of mine in Mandeville, so we'll be driving over and being dropped off embarkation morning.

Thanks...Hope you have a better time on the Elation!

We arrived at the terminal about 10:45, and it took 15 minutes or so to get through the check-in process. By the time we walked out of the VIP room, embarkation was just beginning, and we walked right onto the ship. I'd recommend getting there by 10:30 or so since you'll be staying close by.

Thanks for the review.

Nice to hear than Adri is still assigned to the Alchemy Bar and has landed on the Conquest and is training othe rgood bartenders. She's really a great one.

Just to point out how difference affect one cruiser's comfort versus another...I'd be shivering my timbers if the cabin was colder than 72 degrees. That's actually a very pleasant temperature, to me.

Never cruised with kids but sorry to hear your DD had a poor experience in Camp C. Hope she had a good crusie otherwise.

Thanks for the review.

Nice to hear than Adri is still assigned to the Alchemy Bar and has landed on the Conquest and is training othe rgood bartenders. She's really a great one.

Just to point out how difference affect one cruiser's comfort versus another...I'd be shivering my timbers if the cabin was colder than 72 degrees. That's actually a very pleasant temperature, to me.

Never cruised with kids but sorry to hear your DD had a poor experience in Camp C. Hope she had a good crusie otherwise.

Adri is THE BEST. We loved her.

We usually keep the house 67 or 68 degrees at night - so 72 degrees is just miserable for us. I also usually find it chilly around the ship, but actually found it quite comfortable in the lounges, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts. We will be boarding in a few weeks for our third Conquest adventure and was wondering if they still have hair dryers in the cabins. I know they aren't the best, but if they are still there it will be one less thing to pack.

Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts. We will be boarding in a few weeks for our third Conquest adventure and was wondering if they still have hair dryers in the cabins. I know they aren't the best, but if they are still there it will be one less thing to pack.

Thanks!

Yes, and they are in the drawer under the tv, close enough to a mirror to make it quite easy. I don't like when the dryers are in the bathroom, as I usually want to dry my hair while dh showers, and the steam coming from the shower makes it a futile task! I found the dryers to work fairly well - then again, my hair is short. I'd say it's worth making the best of the ones provided instead of packing your own.

Great review because of the balance of the good and bad. I don't know why some people feel the need to gush over everything or, conversely, complain about how minor annoyances "ruined" their vacation. Your posting was refreshing.

I'm very surprised at the Camp Carnival report. My kids always enjoyed the Camp and activities and found it one of the best parts of each Carnival cruise.

I had to read the portion about the cabin temperature a few times before I understood what you were saying. I consider 72F to be "room temperature" and I'm sure at 71.9F my wife would be shivering and trying to figure out how to crank it up a few notches!

I had to read the portion about the cabin temperature a few times before I understood what you were saying. I consider 72F to be "room temperature" and I'm sure at 71.9F my wife would be shivering and trying to figure out how to crank it up a few notches!

We LOVE the wonderful duvets Carnival has, but we had to kick it to the foot of the bed and sleep with just a sheet, and even then we were hot. I think we'll bring our own fan next time, just in case. We have never had this problem before. I guess you'd think, being from New Orleans, we wouldn't find that too hot - but I swear, by the middle of the night it felt like it was 80 degrees in our room.

I don't remember the details but I read another post about the councilor calling a kid a nasty name. Hum! I would be unglued! Yes, report it.

We had an issue years ago (inspiration) with the air. My husband got so mad that maintenance brought security. I don't recall what temp they CLAIMED it was (saying it was in range). All I know is we used our room to shower, for all the good it did, dress, store our stuff. Sleeping was not an option. We tried to not let it ruin our trip, but it made me crazy to know all our friends that had gone with us was in comfort. My take is you should be able to have temp at 65* or 85* , whatever you like and it is nobodies business to judge how you like it.

We are going on conquest in may. Hoping for a good trip.

We now sail ncl and like it much better. Just like the key west/Bahamas route so once in a while we do it.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review.

Same here. I freeze. OP, Glad you went home and cranked your a/c up, remember lil ol me in Ohio, even though it was in the 40s today, I had 8 degrees one day last week on the way to work! :eek:

Archived