Misleading Promo???

Tookie

Is it me or what? Received a brochure from Oceania a long time ago. Inside was a postcard that said Limited Time Offer. Free Pre-Paid Gratuities plus 2 for 1 deposits. It went on to say on winter2013-2014 Bookings made before December 31, 2012. I just got my documents in the mail for a cruise I booked along time ago that is leaving March 18th.It said nothing about certain cruises being ineligible, nor did it direct me to any page in the brochure where it would explain any more about this promo. Now Oceania is telling my travel agent that my cruise is exempt and this was stated somewhere in the brochure. My husband and I have taken 11 cruises, most on Celebrity. I have never seen a promo that wasn't honored before. This is our first experience with Oceania. I have to say this leaves me with a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. It isn't about the gratuities. Obviously if I can afford the cruise, I can afford the tips. It is more about dishonesty. Has anyone else had this experience with O?

No we were given a $300 on board credit. I was told that my travel agent called Oceania when our reservation was made and was told the gratuities were included. However she didn't get the name of who she spoke to and now they are telling her that the offer was not good on our cruise. Our travel agent is more than willing to pay the tips but that isn't the point. There should be truth in advewrtising IMHO.

I don't think I've ever seen a brochure from O where they have offered gratuities across the board. Their advertisements usually have a menu of cruises that are available for certain offers. (A current example is on this page.)

You stated that the offer "went on to say on winter 2013-2014 Bookings made before December 31, 2012..." Perhaps that is where the mix-up occurred. If you are leaving in March of this year, that would be a winter 2012-2013 itinerary.

Sorry there was a misunderstanding. But, I hope you'll enjoy your cruise just the same.

You stated that the offer "went on to say on winter 2013-2014 Bookings made before December 31, 2012..." Perhaps that is where the mix-up occurred. If you are leaving in March of this year, that would be a winter 2012-2013 itinerary.

I think you are riight . I seem to remember they were on the new itineraries that came out in Sept 2012 for winter (DEC 2013) & 2014 cruises

We booked the 2014 cruise that had the free gratuities & lower deposit

The cruise I booked was listed in that brochure that said Winter 2013.

There are two possibilities for "Winter 2013". The first is the Winter of 2012/1013, and the other is the Winter of 2013/2014. your cruise, leaving March 18, 2013, is in the 2012/2013 period. The period of 2013/2014 will start in November 2013 (after the repositioning cruise) and extend into 2014. That is the period you mentioned (2013/2014), and is the period for which the free gratuities were offered. Your March, 2013 cruise would not come under that promotion. This seems to be a case of a TA who is not all that familiar with Oceania...

It's not misleading; it would be clear to anyone who understands Oceania's seasons, as any TA booking Oceania should.

We are on the cruise & there was no pre paid gratuities offered

Most cruise line & tour operators seasons start in around Sept for Fall/Winter offerings of the year mentioned about March/April for spring/summer season

It has always been like that in the travel industry

Lyn

Tookie,

Hondorner & Lyn are right. I just checked the brochure that I received, & the free gratuity promotion was indeed for "new itinerary bookings opening October 10, 2012" and made by "December 31, 2012" for the "Winter Collection 2013-2014" season. So easy to misinterpret if you don't know how the cruise industry's seasons run.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Thanks everyone, but I still don't get it. I just received Oceania's newest brochure advertising Winter 2013-2014 cruises. My cruise for March 18 is listed in that brochure. Also the promo card had no fine print, no reference to any excluded cruises. If certain cruises are not included I believe the offer shouldf state that. I shouldn't have to figure out as a civilian what cruises are in what cruise season, particularly if my cruise is included in the brochures for that season. In any event I am sure I will enjoy the cruise but I wish Oceania would review their policies for promos.

Thanks everyone, but I still don't get it. I just received Oceania's newest brochure advertising Winter 2013-2014 cruises. My cruise for March 18 is listed in that brochure.

What does the cover of your new brochure have on it?

any of these

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/brochure.aspx

the winter 2013-2014 is from Dec 2013

There is a March 18th Mayan Mystique for 2014 http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/rva140318/default.aspx

I would check your current brochure for the year of the cruise listed

We have been through this before with another person with same sailing date but different year;)

I booked my 2/12/2013 cruise in 3/2012. The travel agent told me the price and I asked if that included gratuities..the answer was yes and I booked it. My itinerary says this as well.

It could be an incentive from the TA/Cruise line

Very good advice, wripro. We've also learned the hard way to double check everything ourselves. Sometimes TA's are certain they know or understand a cruise line's latest policies when, in fact, they don't. A few years ago, we lost a 4,000. deposit by being too trusting.

Here is a quote from our invoice from our TA

“You will receive pre paid gratuities and a $200 US dollar ship board credit for the cabin from TA Company. You will also receive $200 US dollars Ship board credit from Oceania as you will be part of the Elite program”.

In addition, our TA’s company gives us frequent flyer miles which are outlined on the invoice.

If your TA does not list everything, I would suggest changing TAs.

Cheers,

Don

Here is a quote from our invoice from our TA

“You will receive pre paid gratuities and a $200 US dollar ship board credit for the cabin from TA Company.

Don

It sound like this was from the TA NOT part of the PROMO that the OP says was advertised

As posted by the OP the PROMO was for the winter 2013-2014 cruises

not the Winter 2012-2013 which they are on

It is a misunderstanding of the dates

Lyn

Thanks everyone, but I still don't get it. I just received Oceania's newest brochure advertising Winter 2013-2014 cruises. My cruise for March 18 is listed in that brochure.

Are you sailing March 18 of 2013 or March 18 of 2014?

The newest brochure, listing a cruise for March 18, is the March 18, 2014 cruise. If you are sailing in March of 2013, it would be impossible to list your cruise in the 2013/2014 book.

Yes, Tookie's TA should have been able to clearly relay O's explanation as to why this cruise was exempt from the free gratuity promotion. If the cruise had actually been eligible, then that information would or should have been included on the Booking invoice--thus, in writing.

I booked a Dec 12, 2013 Caribbean cruise directly through Oceania and although I am in the "free gratuities" option, my Oceania invoice does not state the "free pre-paid gratuities".

I still have the brochure they sent me, and it is stated that my cruise is listed.

Should I give Oceania a call on this?

I booked a Dec 12, 2013 Caribbean cruise directly through Oceania and although I am in the "free gratuities" option, my Oceania invoice does not state the "free pre-paid gratuities".

I still have the brochure they sent me, and it is stated that my cruise is listed.

Should I give Oceania a call on this?

It would not hurt to ask

Lyn

I have tried to post a link to a scan of the original promo. If you look closely it only says on Winter 2013-2014 bookings. since I received this not my TA I don't believe I should know what season is what for Oceania. All I knew was that I had booked a trip that was leaving in winter of 2013. http://i46.tinypic.com/2m63fvd.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Archived