Downsell call?

NJGeorge

Just got a call from NCL offering me to give up my aft mini for a ocean view on my upcoming POA criuse:confused:

The deal was 50% refund and $200.00 on board credit. I passed as DW would kill me:D

Anybody else ever get one?

And on a side note they also called me a couple of weeks ago offering me a deluxe penthouse upsell...for $2,600.00 more:eek:

I passed on that one as well

Aft balcony is by far our favorite and not so easy to come by.

I guess that's why I got two calls to change cabins.

First cruise was in an inside cabin, all the rest have been balconies.

I'll never go back inside:)

Sounds like they are oversold - just like the airlines sell more seats than they really have in anticipation of no shows, the cruise lines do the same. In the airlines I know there are high-end finance gurus that make these calculations (I got my MBA with some of them!) - for cruises it must be even harder to predict!

I would have to think real hard on that too, but it would depend on what kind of price I paid for the minisuite to start with and where the ship was going. I wouldn't do Alaska again without a balcony, some of the Caribbean I probably wouldn't care about.

I prefer the upsell myself, hoping I can manage to get on our our April sailing on the Breakaway. Right now that ship has an awful lot of balcony cabins open, we are in an Oceanview Guaranty, I am hoping we get bumped up. Not sure how NCL does though when they have empty cabins if they try to upsell a lot or not.

I've been cruising about 2-3 times a year since the 70's, and have only been offered an upgrade once by the upgrade fairy. It was on the next to the last trip on the Pacific Princess, you know, "The Love Boat". I took the offer of an o/v to an o/v with a bath tub, wow, what a step-up, I WAS thrilled. I could clearly see why they were retiring that old TUB, but.....it was a cruise, and I am not hard to please. I loved it. My only disappointment was that there no stars to be found onboard. NO, Doc, no Capt Stuben, no Gopher, and no JULIE. (fog overhead) They were all to be on the next trip out, (double fog overhead) Needless to say, it was a great cruise, and a big difference compared to the CCL, Carnivale, and Mardi Gras. Sorry that I strayed from the original topic, but it was kind of in line with what was going on. I'm now booked on the NCL Gem in sept for a Canada('eh) NE trip in a obstructed view cabin. I just have to have light, and a view of some kind in my cabin. I'd never go back to an inside again,.....unless the trip was next to free. Thanx for letting me ramble on, and remember,...you're on a cruise, relax and enjoy. R.A. and Carlos del gato negro....meow

I got a call about 10 years ago from NCL. They wanted me to give up my room completely for the week. They offered to refund my full fare and give me another week for free. Sadly I had to decline because I was going with other family members who would have been very upset if we did not go.

Possibly discuss with DW and see what is acceptable. . . . . . . . that is why I am now divorced I guess.

But if it is supply and demand why not counter offer from their downsell position for more discount, OBC or future credits. They may have huge demand for your mini.

I think that the aft minis are extremely popular. We were booked in one a few years ago and got three upsell calls over the course of 2 weeks because, I presume, they really wanted to resell our mini. The first one was to a basic penthouse for $500 total or for way too much money to an OS; the second was to a higher level penthouse or OS, but both still more than we thought worth it; the third was for a Haven Villa at the same upsell price originally offered for the basic penthouse--We jumped on that one! We were thrilled that they wanted our mini so much.

beachchick

I think that the aft minis are extremely popular. We were booked in one a few years ago and got three upsell calls over the course of 2 weeks because, I presume, they really wanted to resell our mini. The first one was to a basic penthouse for $500 total or for way too much money to an OS; the second was to a higher level penthouse or OS, but both still more than we thought worth it; the third was for a Haven Villa at the same upsell price originally offered for the basic penthouse--We jumped on that one! We were thrilled that they wanted our mini so much.

beachchick

I would of as well. The first call was an upsell for a Deluxe Penthouse for $ 2,600.00 more. That was way too much for me:eek:

One of the posters on the roll call for this cruise got the downsell call as well.

He also has an aft balcony.

Possibly discuss with DW and see what is acceptable. . . . . . . . that is why I am now divorced I guess.

I wouldn't think that! When my DH noticed this thread, he pointed it out and we discussed it, and I was glad he pointed me to it. Not that every woman would react the same, but I'd rather be consulted than not, personally. Of course, I'm the one booking this, not him, so NCL won't make changes without me. :D

We can't change dates, because we both have the time off from work for it and care for our children set up. That makes us rather inflexible on dates. Not to mention, I CHOSE the dates to coincide with our actual anniversary, so we wouldn't want to shift off of that week.

We don't really want to switch rooms, directly up OR down. We got precisely the one we wanted. If they offer downsell, I wouldn't take it for this particular cruise, though I might on a different cruise. If they offered upsell... Well, I don't think the budget would allow it this time, but ditto on considering it for a different cruise. :p But if they upgraded us for free (they won't!), they could only move us up to the OS w/2 balconies or GV. (Does it amuse anyone else that the DELUXE OS is a lower room price-wise than the OS with two balconies? :rolleyes:) We're not really crazy about the layout of the OS, which was one of the reasons we chose the DOS, and since it looks like the GVs have both already rented, there's little chance of being moved there.

So I guess we'll just have to stick with what we have this time.

DML

I would of as well. The first call was an upsell for a Deluxe Penthouse for $ 2,600.00 more. That was way too much for me:eek:

One of the posters on the roll call for this cruise got the downsell call as well.

He also has an aft balcony.

Yikes! Way, way too much for us too. That's practically another cruise in a balcony cabin. Truth is that it was only because the final call was for the Haven that we finally decided to go for it. We'd never been in a full suite before, so you can imagine how great it was.

beachchick

I wouldn't think that! When my DH noticed this thread, he pointed it out and we discussed it, and I was glad he pointed me to it. Not that every woman would react the same, but I'd rather be consulted than not, personally. Of course, I'm the one booking this, not him, so NCL won't make changes without me. :D

We can't change dates, because we both have the time off from work for it and care for our children set up. That makes us rather inflexible on dates. Not to mention, I CHOSE the dates to coincide with our actual anniversary, so we wouldn't want to shift off of that week.

We don't really want to switch rooms, directly up OR down. We got precisely the one we wanted. If they offer downsell, I wouldn't take it for this particular cruise, though I might on a different cruise. If they offered upsell... Well, I don't think the budget would allow it this time, but ditto on considering it for a different cruise. :p But if they upgraded us for free (they won't!), they could only move us up to the OS w/2 balconies or GV. (Does it amuse anyone else that the DELUXE OS is a lower room price-wise than the OS with two balconies? :rolleyes:) We're not really crazy about the layout of the OS, which was one of the reasons we chose the DOS, and since it looks like the GVs have both already rented, there's little chance of being moved there.

So I guess we'll just have to stick with what we have this time.

DML

The DOS on the Star/Dawn are kind of a unique situation since they added them just a couple years ago. Since the ones on the Dawn/Star don't have a balcony (unlike the DOS on the Jewel class ships), the absence of the balcony probably makes it harder to sell them. On the Star/Dawn, the DOS are usually a bit less then the OS from the pricing I've seen over time.

The couple positves are the Star/Dawn DOS have great views and the two inner ones give the ability to book 6 people. Plus they are relatively new in terms of decor and furnishings.

Archived