Has anyone booked a handicap accessible cabin and been bumped??

Hi there! We booked a handicap accessible cabin on the Grandeur (none of us are handicapped but it was offered to us so we took it since its much roomier). It says on the cruise line docs that you can be bumped for actual handicapped passengers. Has this ever happened to you and if so, did the cruise do anything for the inconvenience?

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Inconvenience?!? To who? You because you booked the room knowing someone who actually needs it may come along and take it from you? How about their inconvenience for not having an acceptable room immediately available because able bodied people selfishly booked it?

Sheesh...

If it works out for you, good for you, you beat the system. If not, RCI owes you a fat lot of nothing for your "inconvenience".

Wow...take a Xanax....I asked a simple question. If RC doesnt want non-handicapped passengers to use these cabins, then they shouldnt offer them in the first place. We booked it because its roomier but we would've gone with e different/larger/more expensive category to get more room. Anytime your original cabin is changed, there should be something done. Common customer service etiquette. Geez. You must be a BLAST to go on vacation with. :eek:

Wow...take a Xanax....I asked a simple question. If RC doesnt want non-handicapped passengers to use these cabins, then they shouldnt offer them in the first place. We booked it because its roomier but we would've gone with e different/larger/more expensive category to get more room. Anytime your original cabin is changed, there should be something done.(Not in this case there sure should not.) Common customer service etiquette. Geez. You must be a BLAST to go on vacation with. :eek:

No, you will get nothing and you aren't entitled to anything. It very clearly states you can be moved if needed for someone who truly needs an accessable cabin.

It says on the cruise line docs that you can be bumped for actual handicapped passengers.

That isnt an "inconvenience". You are being moved from a cabin that you shouldnt be in in the first place knowing good and well there is a chance you will be moved. Laws have changed recently that require RCI to offer these cabins to be booked online is WHY they are available. If you dont fill out a Special Needs form though stating the reasons you need this cabin, you can and most likely will be moved.

Being there are so few of these accessible cabins and as a cruiser that is wheelchair bound and REQUIRES a handicap accessible cabin, I find it offensive that people book these because they are roomier :(

After final payment date, these cabins should be fair game to anyone though.

You must be a BLAST to go on vacation with. :eek:

And you as well with your feeling of entitlement. Sorry but my grandmother requires a handicapped cabin in order to sail which she does multiple times a year and when someone like you books the cabin it makes it that much harder for her to book. Forgive me for having strong feelings about something that affects my 90 year old grandparents and makes their lives harder. :rolleyes:

Then Royal Caribbean SHOULDN'T offer them! !

They HAVE to! But they also require a Special Needs form for the cabin. Unless you lie on the form, you CAN be moved out of the cabin. That is not an inconvenience and they owe you NOTHING. ;)

I cant believe you asked such a question about such a touchy subject and not expect any retort whatsoever?

I do not believe that you would be bumped after actually boarding the ship and unpacking, so I don't quite understand the "hardship." If you get bumped it will be because a handicapped person decides to book the cruise and there are no other handicapped rooms available. Afterall, those rooms are designed specifically for handicapped people to be able to enjoy cruising.

We don't park in handicapped parking spaces just because no one is using them at the time....we don't know if 10 minutes later someone with a true handicap will need it. And if we do park there and get a ticket (i.e. get bumped out of your room) we don't expect the store or government to provide us anything for our "hardship." It's the penalty we pay. Same thing with cruising. If able-bodies people booked all of the handicap accessible staterooms to get the "benefit" of extra space without having to pay for it, then it would be a race to see who could book those rooms first and many people would miss the chance to cruise.

The only "hardship" would be losing the extra space in the cabin that you did not pay any extra for and being assigned a cabin at random. I would think that would be a "risk" that you take for trying to get something without paying for it. I doubt that you would be downgraded, and I guess there is a chance you could be upgraded, depending on availability of remaining cabins. However, I would assume they would try to move you to an "equal" cabin, just not handicap accessible. For example, Handicapped Inside to Regular Inside.

No, you will get nothing and you aren't entitled to anything. It very clearly states you can be moved if needed for someone who truly needs an accessable cabin.

You can also be moved if you're next to an accessible cabin. Happened to us on a Legend TA. Our JS was adjacent to an accessible JS, and we were moved so those traveling with the handicapped person could be next door. We didn't mind though ... ended up in a GS.

I have a little different take on this. I don't know whay anyone would want to sail in a HC if they didn't need it. I think the extra room in the handicapped cabin is more than offset by the lack of storage space. We had to sail in them when FIL was alive and traveling with us and I frankly did not like them. The shower drove me crazy! But - it was the price I happily paid to be able to travel with him. He was such a sweetheart and he loved to cruise!

Hi there! We booked a handicap accessible cabin on the Grandeur (none of us are handicapped but it was offered to us so we took it since its much roomier). It says on the cruise line docs that you can be bumped for actual handicapped passengers. Has this ever happened to you and if so, did the cruise do anything for the inconvenience?

Anyone can book a HC cabin. What happens next, is that it is your responsibility to contact guest services and state why you need the room. They will review the reason, and respond back locking the room. If you do not do this, than you can be bumped. A HC can call RCCL and ask for a room. If none is available, they will look at which rooms were cleared and move someone. This is not an inconvenience, but a risk taken by the person whe does not need it.

Wow. . .touchy much? The cruise lines regularly offer up these cabins to people knowing that they are not handicap. I agree that the OP should not receive anything if they have to move but your response seems a little rude and over the top.

Inconvenience?!? To who? You because you booked the room knowing someone who actually needs it may come along and take it from you? How about their inconvenience for not having an acceptable room immediately available because able bodied people selfishly booked it?

Sheesh...

If it works out for you, good for you, you beat the system. If not, RCI owes you a fat lot of nothing for your "inconvenience".

The cruise lines regularly offer up these cabins to people knowing that they are not handicap. .

After the final payment date maybe and thats fine. Almost a year out though? I disagree.

It's a touchy subject for an able body cruiser to book one of these cabins because of the extra room. To expect something because they are bumped is absurd.

One last thing (I havent read any of the new posts so this is not in response to any of those)...my original post was not about being bumped from a handicaped cabin - I THOROUGHLY would understand if that happened. My issue is getting bumped from your original cabin -- no matter what the category was. Oddly enough, I was talking about this to a co-worker 15 minutes ago and alas, her mother had this happen to her and RC did upgrade her 2 categories. My only concern was that we would still have ample room and not be shoved into an inside cabin for two when there is 3 of us. Anyways, I've said my peace and Im stepping away from this thread. But I am highly disappointed in the reaction of some of you. I thought this board was to help eachother, not put eachother down. :confused:

I'm in agreement with SA Traveller regarding HC cabins. I have to be in one occasionally because I cruise with my mom who is a wheelchair user. However, if given a choice, I'll take a regular cabin over an HC one, even if it is a bit smaller. I HATE HC cabin showers. I've flooded more than one cabin because the shower didn't drain well and water ran out of the bathroom under the door.

I can't help but wonder about the mentality of someone who would deliberately take a cabin out of inventory that will prevent the intended user of the cabin from being able to cruise. I can understand waiting until after final payment then checking cabin inventory to see if any HC cabins are still available and requesting one. However, taking one for cruise that is 9 months away seems really selfish to me.

Even though RC says they might move someone who booked an HC cabin and doesn't need it, I truly doubt they will. My mom wanted to take a Hawaii cruise last year and Royal Caribbean was her first choice. She waited too long (5 months before sail date) to decide she wanted to go so all the HC cabins were booked. I asked the agent at RC if they would verify that the HC cabins were taken by people who need them and was told that they don't do that. My mom ended up sailing on Princess instead because she has to have an accessible cabin and they had accessible cabins available.

I guess those of us who require or have loved ones who require accessible cabins or hotel rooms tend to get irritated by those who don't understand how difficult it can be to find accommodations for travellers with disabilities. Even so called accessible rooms aren't always fully accessible. Reader's Digest published an article a couple years ago about how to get better accommodations. One of their suggestions was to book an accessible room even if you don't need it because they are bigger and tend to be in better locations. After receving several scathing letters, the editor issued an apology. To me, the fact they they published the article in the first place shows how ignorant the general public is regarding those with disabilities and the "me first" mentality that seems to prevail in society.

Since your cruise is embarking from a USA Port than the TA and or RCCL should have never have booked you in an accessible cabin. As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin .

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Because of this new law RCCL requires that the passenger has to certify their need for an accessible cabin. Since you are unable to certify that someone in the booking has a mobility and or physical disability that requires the features of the accessible cabin when completing the on-line check in process , RCCL is well within the scope of the law to relocate you should some one actually require the features of the HC room under the law.

The fact that your cruise is not until 11/18/2013 , the booking is well before the final payment period. Under this Law the time that is considered to be open category or open inventory allowing an able body person to book an accessible cabin is after final payment period has past and the cruise is than allowed to open the sale of the unsold accessible cabins to the general public.

Speaking as a person who is disabled and can only cruise if an HC cabin is available , do the appropiate thing and change cabins. Particularly since the implementation of the law on 1/1/2012 it's highly likely that you will be moved. Therefore I would think it would be better for you to pick your own cabin/location than randomly be assigned by the RCCL. Also RCCL does not have to give you any incentives and or upgrades to move you. Rather RCCL is only required by law to move you to a cabin in the same catagory.

One last thing (I havent read any of the new posts so this is not in response to any of those)...my original post was not about being bumped from a handicaped cabin - I THOROUGHLY would understand if that happened. My issue is getting bumped from your original cabin -- no matter what the category was. Oddly enough, I was talking about this to a co-worker 15 minutes ago and alas, her mother had this happen to her and RC did upgrade her 2 categories. My only concern was that we would still have ample room and not be shoved into an inside cabin for two when there is 3 of us. Anyways, I've said my peace and Im stepping away from this thread. But I am highly disappointed in the reaction of some of you. I thought this board was to help eachother, not put eachother down. :confused:

So, the bottom line is that if you have not filled out the required form and if a HC person needs your cabin, you may be moved. Possibly moved to a better category if that's all there is available but probably to a cabin in the category you paid for. You would be entitled to nothing for your "inconvenience" since you knowingly booked a cabin to which you were not entitled. I have said my piece and leave you in peace.

When booking online you need to check the box that states something to the effect, "someone in my party requires an accessible cabin". When a TA books one of these cabins they still need to verify a similar question.

You won't be bumped to a 2 person cabin but if you've booked an interior, you could be moved to another interior in your same class - there is no guarantee of an upgrade.

Then Royal Caribbean SHOULDN'T offer them! End of story.

Hmm...well, here are a few questions.

When you are in a parking lot, and there is nobody in the handicapped spot, do you park there? I mean, after all, it is available to you?

If you are in the ladies room and there are 2 stalls open, 1 handicapped, 1 not. A woman in a wheelchair comes in right after you. Do you take the handicapped stall because it is bigger and available? If she asks you if you could take the "regular" stall, would you feel inconvenienced?

The inconvenience is when a handicapped person has to deal with able-bodied individuals who think they are entitled to everything.

My only concern was that we would still have ample room and not be shoved into an inside cabin for two when there is 3 of us. Anyways, I've said my peace and Im stepping away from this thread. But I am highly disappointed in the reaction of some of you. I thought this board was to help eachother, not put eachother down. :confused:

RCCL would not and cannot put 3 people into a cabin that can only accomodate 2. However if the HC cabin you booked and paid for is an inside cabin than RCCL has every right to relocate you to an inside cabin that can accomodate 3 people.

This board is to provide help though each individuals approach may be different. Bottom line is ... the points to take away from the responses to you post are as follows:

• It's not looked upon kindly when an able body person books a HC cabin because it has more room and regardless if the it was offered to you. Particularly since the booking was made long before the final payment period.
  • There are USA Federal Laws that the cruise line now has to abide by when the cruise embarks from a USA port. RCCL does know this and shouldn't have allowed the booking.
  • Yes you can and very well may be moved due to lack of your need for an accessible cabin and the fact that cruise is still 10 months away.
  • And finally the cruise line does not have to give you and incentives or upgrades if you are moved.

Archived