Book With a TA or Directly with HAL

dag144

I recently booked a cruise directly with one of HAL's Personal Cruise Consultants who had done me a great favor. Usually I booked with the TA who can give me the best combination of price and other goodies which I realize comes out of the TA's commission.

I discussed this with my HAL cruise consultant who told me the following. If I book the cruise with her and then transfer it to a TA, because of a better deal price and goodie wise, she still gets credit for my booking.

I realize that HAL makes more money with direct bookings, and sometimes a direct booking is the best deal, evidently they are happy to fill their ships and don't penalize anyone if one decides to go with a TA prior to the cruise.

I know that many cruisers think that it is a bum deal for HAL to "book and switch", but I imagine the most important thing for the line and for its parent, Carnival, is to fill the ships.

Recently returned from a Grand Princess cruise (very nice) and look forward to the Eurodam in March.:):)

I don't particularly worry if it is best for HAL with whom/how I book. I worry if it works best for us for our own personal circumstances and choices. Book the way that works best for you and let HAL worry if it is best for them, IMO

I always book with a TA (even though I pre-book on the ship) and let them deal directly with HAL if anything goes wrong, as on my last booking. I had pre-booked on my last cruise with the future cruise consultant on the ship and after my TA made my flight arrangements (4 months later) :mad: my cruise was canceled by HAL because it became a charter. My TA got me the change fee back for having to change my flights for different dates because of this.:) I'm sure if I had dealt directly with HAL and not booked my flights thru HAL I would not have gotten back my $500. Plus of course I got OBC for the incovenience of having to change my cruise.:D

I always book with a TA (even though I pre-book on the ship) and let them deal directly with HAL if anything goes wrong, as on my last booking. I had pre-booked on my last cruise with the future cruise consultant on the ship and after my TA made my flight arrangements (4 months later) :mad: my cruise was canceled by HAL because it became a charter. My TA got me the change fee back for having to change my flights for different dates because of this.:) I'm sure if I had dealt directly with HAL and not booked my flights thru HAL I would not have gotten back my $500. Plus of course I got OBC for the incovenience of having to change my cruise.:D

Not necessarily so. Had a bad experience on the Ryndam (booked with a TA). I did not call the TZ because I got a$175 credit to my bill while on the cruise. Got a call from a HAL cruise consultant whom I had used previously. She call to see how things were obviously to get me to book with HAL again. I told her of my displeasure on the Ryndam cruise (it's in my review from 11/12). She asked me to send her an e-mail relaying my experience. Did so and several weeks later HAL gave me a $600 credit toward my next cruise.

It does make a difference to us.

From what I was told, if we were to book directly with HAL we would not be able to get our shipboard credit and free Pinnacle dinner that is due us from AMEX Platinum.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a Platinum Amex. Do you get the OBC for every HAL Sailing? Does OBC depend on length of cruise, price of cruise, etc.

Thanks!

Archived