Guadeloupe really??

addicted2

I agree. Don't know why anyone would tell you not to get off the shop in Dominica???? Absurd. One of my favorite islands. The falls, Titou gorge and the springs are awesome attractions. Very beautiful island too.

Dominica is the one island we'd go back to to stay on land. Only we'd need to hire a driver because we don't do left side of the road driving very well even on high quality streets. They were really working on the road conditions when we were there a couple of years ago.

People can keep Aruba...give me Dominica. :)

Gina

Thank you for all your responses to the OP. It is very helpful to get everyone's impressions of a port (even the OP's). I will be in Guadaloupe in Feb on the Brilliance.

I am not outgoing and shy of pushy vendors so I usually take a ship's excursion. But I will arrive with some Euros and I will expect a French Island.

As I used to tell my kids when they were young and heading out the door....."Do you have your manners with you?" Bonjour & Merci will go a long way.

After hanging around CC I have come to the conclusion that there are cruisers and Cruise travelers, we fit into the later. Cruisers usually want to take their own toilet paper, and blender etc but they enjoy the cruise part to the fullest, and ports are just basically to get off the ship to put their feet on dry land, maybe enjoy an Americanized venue in a foreign country. Of course I'm not taking all cruisers under my view.

We are very well traveled, both on cruises, tours, and on our own, we love to get into the heart of a country, and interact with the residents of the country and would be and are disappointed to see Mac Donald's or KFC or Pizza hut LOL. While we have our favorite destinations, ports and countries, I would never post/express my feelings about any country good or bad, mostly good, unless asked privately, I also think the loyalty Ambassador was wrong to say what was taken as a negative comment on a country. We have been to Guadeloupe, the port is somewhat as described, but we enjoyed our brief stay there, and never felt a safety issue, now this was in daylight, after dark I know from experience, there are many places not to be, even in my home town.

Guadeloupe is one of our favorite ports!! Its so refreshing to visit somewhere that has an economy driven by something other than serving cruise ship passengers. I don't need another Diamonds International, Del Sol, or store that sells "authentic" trinkets made in China. I agree that the port isn't much, but the rest of the island is fantastic. I'm sorry you missed the chance to explore it.

I couldn't agree more. I never understand why people who travel to other countries (yes most of the islands we cruise to are other countries) think those Islands have to accept the US dollar and speak English. If you want to spend US dollars on food that tastes like US food and speak to people who speak English like most in the US then stay in the US. I cruise to experience other cultures, taste the foods of other places and bring along the correct currency to pay for it.

It seems that you may have missed out on a wonderful opportunity to see a new place. Many port areas do not have the beauty you will find if you get out there and explore.

I am very excited for our stop in Guadeloupe, and plan to explore as much of the island as possible. I also plan to bring along my Euros.

Is there an ATM near the port where we can take euros out from our bank account? Thanks.

From recent cruisers, I deduce that Guest Relations has a competitive exchange rate. You may be able to exchange US dollars for Euros and vice versa there.

We're going in 3 weeks...I'll try to report back.

I was in Dominica last year and want to go back next dec, but there are hardly any ships that go there. I have gone on 22 cruises over the last 20 years and Dominica was by far the best place I ever went. Twin gorges (hot river? Count me in!) was spectacular, I wish I had time to snorkle in Champagne Bay.

People were incredibly friendly, place is affordable, one of the lowest crime rates in the carribean, just one of those places that you realize it really special.

I even looked up flying there- very expensive with at least four different planes needed to get there.

They filmed Pirates of the Carribean there (remember that scene where they are all in a cave, suspended in a cage) and our guide told us that Johnny Depp found their nicest hotel unsuitable and had his yacht sailed in so that he could sleep on it at night. The locals were rightly insulted.

We have been to Dominica and loved it, nature at it's best.

The only reason I complained about Guadaloupe and the language and money issue is that we were on a cruise leaving and returning from a US port. All the other stops were at islands that spoke english readily and took the american dollar. So having a stop in the middle of the cruise that didn't do either seemed out of place. If I wanted to have to exchange my money to euros and have a language barrier I would have left out of Europe. When the staff of the ship is telling you not to go off the ship then something must be up!!

We stopped in Guadaloupe on our first cruise in 1996. I think it may have been a different city/port then. It was one of our favorite stops. There was a huge town square with an open market. Also a large park like area with shops and cafes .. lots of trees .. and benches. We loved it and were hoping to go back again. Maybe not after recent reviews.

We had a similar situation when our cruise ship stopped in Dominica a few years ago and a fellow passengers loudly advised everyone to stay on the ship because the port and its people were so awful. Fortunately we ignored his comments, got off the ship and took a wonderful tour and met nothing but pleasant and friendly islanders. I'm not sure why some people are so quick to denigrate certain Caribbean ports and their people but I have frequently found that if we listened to their negative comments we would have missed out on some great experiences. If people are looking for a sanitized version of a Caribbean island, I suggest that they confine their visits to DisneyWorld. Real life is seldom as picturesque as some would like. Any LA who would tell guests not to get off in port is doing those guests a distinct disservice.

BEST excursion we ever did was on Dominica!! Heard many negative reviews but keep your minds open - it is NOT the US!! Loved it all!

The only reason I complained about Guadaloupe and the language and money issue is that we were on a cruise leaving and returning from a US port. All the other stops were at islands that spoke english readily and took the american dollar. So having a stop in the middle of the cruise that didn't do either seemed out of place. If I wanted to have to exchange my money to euros and have a language barrier I would have left out of Europe. When the staff of the ship is telling you not to go off the ship then something must be up!!

Most of those islands are independent countries and many there in tourism choose to take USD. Getting Euros take sabout 3 minutes at any ATM.

Guadaloupe is a Department of France - same as Hawaii is a state. Don't think Hawaii takes other currencies or makes any effor tto speak another language for foreigners visiting.

US travlers are eamazing. US is the most unaccomodating country for visitors - very little or no signage or announcements in foreign languages at airports, etc. Few in hotels speaking other languages at front desk, few restaruants offering menu in other languages - all of which is quite common in the rest of the world.

Yet, US travelers expect the entire world to speak English and take USD.

Try using Euros, Yen, Pesos, etc. at a store in the US.

Yet, US travelers expect the entire world to speak English and take USD.

Try using Euros, Yen, Pesos, etc. at a store in the US.

I had a Canadian penny mixed in with my US coins that I gave to the cashier @ Publix in Ft. Lauderdale... she looked at it... seemed really confused then gave it back to me saying she can't accept Canadian money... a freakin' PENNY! I should have handed over one of our $2 coins and really messed her up.

I had a Canadian penny mixed in with my US coins that I gave to the cashier @ Publix in Ft. Lauderdale... she looked at it... seemed really confused then gave it back to me saying she can't accept Canadian money... a freakin' PENNY! I should have handed over one of our $2 coins and really messed her up.

Apparently she has no idea that Publix in in the habit of giving Canadian pennies as change. :)

WelL, I really like Guadeloupe and Dominica, but have to admit, that Point a Pietre, espacially the port area, is NOT the nicest part if not the worst of the island.

We spent a week on Guadeloupe last year. The western part is very, very beautiful and hilly. The nature is great (a bit like Dominica) I would absolutly take a tour to do that part of the island and skip PPT. The eastern part is different, more touristy and with white sand beaches.

Try doing research on ports before your next cruise.

I don't see what leaving from a US port has to do with anything. Some people might consider it a good thing to visit an island off the beaten path and that has a truly foreign feel. Maybe it really would be better for all concerned for you to stay on board.

Wow. This is really kind of pathetic....:eek:

You might as well say your round trip flights were from a US city so you expected English and dollars to be the norm when you land in a foreign country.

Ports of call are listed when you book a cruise. If you only wanted English speaking ports then you should have booked one of the many cruises which seem to stick to the same tired routes.

And, yes I do think something is up with that staff member. That was a very unprofessional comment to make. Maybe s/he got the impression that you wanted an "American experience" and were trying to gear comment towards your preferences and not the island in general--I'll give them that benefit of the doubt anyway.

I was on the Brillance in December. I had heard similar things before going and staff warned me before leaving the ship. My family took a Royal excursion. It was my least favrorite port of the cruise, but still an ok day.

It's not high on my list to return, but I wouldn't cross a cruise off my list because it stopped there.

Cruises are a bit different in you are only in port a short time. I would think most ports would cater to the ships, regardless of origin since we are in fact bringing our money for them to profit on, or not.

That being said, I lean to ports that to cater to their guests. Some are good at it, some are not. Avoid those that are not and maybe they will get the picture. Unless they just don't care.

That being said, you can enjoy any foreign speaking city and not spend a dime or speak a word. There are plenty of english speaking ports that are horrible also. 'Money grubbing' Nassau comes to mind.

When the staff of the ship is telling you not to go off the ship then something must be up!!

Or, maybe the staff member was able to pick up on the fact that you're a xenophobe who truly was better off staying on board. After all, that staff member was on a cruise with you all week. We've only seen two brief comments from you and we can already tell who you are.:rolleyes:

Cruises are a bit different in you are only in port a short time. I would think most ports would cater to the ships, regardless of origin since we are in fact bringing our money for them to profit on, or not.

Seems like a good idea. Except for the larger cities that host cruise ships.

Going to Guadelope, I kind of figured that it would be a small town, who would need to have a cruise ship really help it's economy. But then I started to wonder who all the French speaking people on board were, and then recalled that people were embarking from Pointe A Pitre. Cruising isn't cheap, so there's money in Guadelope.

Which then really made me think.

Once I saw what we were sailing into, it sunk in that that cruise ships in Pointe A Pitre really have a minor impact on the local ecomomy- the city is quite large, and there is real industry and economy going around.

It very much reminded me of my wife's home town of Ponce, which is on the south side of Puerto Rico. Tourism helps, but it's not even close to the #1 economic driver. After seeing Pointe a Pitre, I figured it was exactly the same thing- nice to have the occasional ship come in, but it's not really that important. Which made the built port areas that you see in Falmouth, Cozumel, Nassau, etc- all rather pointless to them. Fine to support some tent stuff, and some shops. But no need for Diamonds International or watch stores. And no need to beg you to support them. Outside of the handful of taxi drivers, nobody came close to realy asking us to buy from them. It was just market, just a cafe, just a dress shop, just normal stores for a normal city.

So given that, we just loved it.

My only regret was that I was not 100%, and never got hungry enough to go to a cafe. Man, some of the food I saw... Next time, I will do a better job regulating what I eat on board so that I can eat there. Lunch then a cafe for pastries.

As for the staff telling, no "warning" you about a port.

I take it with a grain of salt every time. Others may not.

We've heard the same about Falmouth, but in a different way. Not that the city is bad and dangerous. But with our idea of running- the roads are narrow and traffic is heavy- running isn't a great idea.

Alas, we have to wait to go- but being that I keep reading that Nassau adn Falmouth have exactly the same thing being said- we certainly will venture out into the city. We've run deep into Nassau, and the only "problem" was forgetting that they drive on the other side of the road. We'll see and make our own judgement.

I HIGHLY doubt staff members told you not to get off the ship-If they did, they should be fired, as that is a breach of their contract with the cruiseline.

Archived