Still safe to cruise Egypt?

CarlsbadSally

Given the events of the past week in Egypt, and the martial law declared for the next 30 days in three cities near the Suez, is anyone aware of any cruise line changing itineraries? Do cruisers still feel safe going to Egypt, either through the canal or in Cairo/Alexandria or Safaga?

We are scheduled to visit Alexandria and Port Said on the 14/15 Feb, but somehow don't think it will happen after the last few days - unless things settle and we spend 2 days in Alexandria, which has been less affected, but that is probably unlikely at this stage I would think. I suspect they will not tell us until we embark next Wednesday now. I do not see why going through the canal should be a problem though, as no one is firing missiles or doing anything against tourists.

Egypt has dropped off the main UK news the last day or so, but searching the net, it seems it is still going on to a lesser extent and there are snipers firing from buildings in Port Said. There is a state of emergency declared and a curfew in certain areas for a month - but the curfew is not being kept by the people. It is the police who are targeted by the people as they ae firing real ammunition and killing people, even at the funerals, whereas rubber bullets and water cannon had been used in Cairo during the troubles. There are reports that the people are very annoyed that Morsi is letting people be killed by the police. Police are being killed as well, but it is difficult to know who are the main perpetuators of the problems.

Just wondering where we may go instead. I have seen some ships diverted to Izmir and am about to research that, but it is not exactly an equivalent to Egypt. Istanbul would be good, but P&O would need more fuel to get there. We are in Valletta 12th Feb and Limassol 17th Feb, so there are four days in between.

Will post any change when we return in March.

On our 2011 NCL Jade cruise,at the last minute we were diverted from Alexandria to Istanbul. We're trying again in April-May when the cruise will end in Safaga (the port for Luxor) and then supposedly flying up to Cairo for 2 days. So far no change. Please let us know if you stop in Egypt.

Archived