Hotel recommendations for Athens

Bimmer09

I am being forced off the Ruby Princess against my will when she docks in Piraeus September 28th 2013. I have signed up for an excursion to the Acropolis and will get dumped like a rag doll at the airport afterwards (or could I leave the tour when the sightseeing is done and avoid the airport?)

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations? I am only staying for one day and want to be central and know I am in Athens at every turn. I am not interested in B and Bs or uber-modern places where the furniture screams "don't sit on me!". Comfortable and with a view is the goal.

Also- how far away is the airport from the Plaka district?

Is Athens friendly to Americans?

Norris

in Chicago

A very central and well liked hotel (on hotel rating sites) is the Athens Gate. It's friendly, very clean and well maintained, and has a killer rooftop area where breakfast, drinks and dinner are served -- with views of the Acropolis on one side and the ruins of the Temple of Olympian Zeus on the other. Prices aren't dirt cheap but it't not what I'd consider expensive for something in the heart of Athens. (You can literally be at the foot of the path where you walk up to the Acropolis in about 5-7 minutes on foot from this hotel.) The new Acropolis museum is even closer as is the metro.

Athenians are very friendly to Americans and, perhaps even extra friendly now due to their economic woes and desire for tourism to pick up again.

The airport is a fair distance from central Athens. I can't recall at the moment the going rate for a cab, but Athens Gate can arrange one for you.

If someone is looking for a real splurge the Grande Bretagne is an amazing hotel. It is very "Grande" but is worth it for the experience. It faces Syntagma Square, though, so it may not be the best choice IF there are any demonstrations scheduled during your visit.

I personally like the Syntagma Square area better than the Plaka, which I find exceptionally touristy. But as I said before -- with only one night and a desire to be central, that's probably where you should be.

It faces Syntagma Square, though, so it may not be the best choice IF there are any demonstrations scheduled during your visit.

I personally like the Syntagma Square area better than the Plaka, which I find exceptionally touristy. But as I said before -- with only one night and a desire to be central, that's probably where you should be.

I would avoid that area for a hotel as demonstrations/riots are not scheduled in advance so you could not know about them when you book the hotel.

I would avoid that area for a hotel as demonstrations/riots are not scheduled in advance so you could not know about them when you book the hotel.

Many of them are scheduled in advance, at least the official ones (e.g., the ones initiated by a specific group or union). We had a local last year who would post on the Athens board about upcoming scheduled strikes and protests to give people warning. Granted, not more than a few weeks out, but still enough time to change a reservation if needs be.

I am being forced off the Ruby Princess against my will ...

A bit dramatic Norris.

We stayed at the Attalos Hotel. It's a great location and priced well. Read the Tripadvisor reviews. We took the metro around the corner to the airport and found it quite easy.

I'd skip that ship tour to the Acropolis and that whole getting dumped like a rag doll thing. Save your $$$ since you can do it on your own easily.

The Grande Bretagne is stunning and if I had a few days in Athens would love to stay there,but time is tight. I'll avoid the square this time-just in case.

Athens gate looks good for the rooftop restaurant.

I have many months to circumvent the Princess excursion and will look into making a better use of the time at hand. I am guessing one can just walk up to the Acropolis, buy a ticket and go "in" ? Or is it tours only?

Norris

Athens newbie

I have many months to circumvent the Princess excursion and will look into making a better use of the time at hand. I am guessing one can just walk up to the Acropolis, buy a ticket and go "in" ? Or is it tours only?

Norris

Athens newbie

Yes, you can just walk up the hill (sometimes slowly behind large group tours :rolleyes:) and get your ticket and go in. There's not really signage, so it helps to have a guidebook or one of the free mp3 audio tours that are widely available. (I know Rick Steves has one.)

The best times to go on your own to avoid the large crowds are first thing in the morning and late afternoon. Fortunately both are very lovely times of day to get photos, etc.

We also stayed at the Attalos and it is a great budget hotel with a wonderful view of the Acropolis from the rooftop bar.

You can also take the express bus to the airport. This leaves from Syntagma square which is just a few minutes' walk away. There is lots of space on the bus for luggage and the price can't be beat.

The Ruby docks in Piraeus...does Princess bus everyone into Athens or are you on your own in that regard? (asking incase I don't do the PCL Acropolis tour)

I guess I need a map of Greece!

Norris

The Ruby docks in Piraeus...does Princess bus everyone into Athens or are you on your own in that regard? (asking incase I don't do the PCL Acropolis tour)

I guess I need a map of Greece!

Norris

No, they pretty much just kick you off the gangway in Piraeus and are done with you, unless you book their transfer/tour.

Not to worry, Piraeus is a scant 20 minutes or so from Athens, really just a suburb by US standards. A cab into town, assuming you stay somewhere central like Athens Gate, should run 20-25 euro.

Thanks for the Piraeus info- I have found athensbytaxi and will hopefully get them to meet us and take us to the hotel to drop off luggage as we will be way too early to check-in. I'll also ask them to take us to the airport next morning(Sunday) at 4 a.m (yikes!) as the flight leaves for Zurich/Chicago at 6.30 so not much chance of breakfast until Zurich.

We have booked a Jnr Suite at the Hera Hotel for E225 as it gives us a nice room with a balcony looking out at the Acropolis (or an air shaft/dumpster)

I have a feeling Athens, even in such a short time, is going to "blow me away"

It's nice to have something to look forward to-to compensate for disembarking the Ruby.

Do you know if the rooftop restaurant at Athens Gate is hotel guests only?

Norris

Do you know if the rooftop restaurant at Athens Gate is hotel guests only?

Norris

I'm pretty sure they are open to others. I hadn't been planning to eat there originally, but I was at the hotel for 4 nights and I had seen what great views they had from the area when I ate breakfast there. Coming back from a long day of sightseeing, I saw the daily specials posted in the elevator; it sounded so good that I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be delicious.

And the views were killer. I'll try to look up a couple of photos later and post them to give you an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling Athens, even in such a short time, is going to "blow me away"

Here is a suggestion for you. Once you get to the Placa buy a ticket for the Train (hoho). I know it's kind of cheesy but will give you an idea of the area and distances involved. We went around twice then got off and explored on our own.

http://www.yougodo.com/en/Sunshine-Express-Miniature-Train-Tours-of-Athens/activity/78ecde51-099b-4fd0-8b1f-ac291f181910.aspx

Archived