barcelona on your own

stavy

We will be arriving on the Reflection and were wondering

how difficult it would be to see some of Gaudi's work on our own. We saw La Sagrada last year and don't need to see it again this time. Any recommendations? We would like to wander around and have time for a nice typical lunch somewhere...any suggestions on that? Thank you in advance for any tips...

Rita

how difficult it would be to see some of Gaudi's work on our own. We saw La Sagrada last year and don't need to see it again this time. Any recommendations? We would like to wander around and have time for a nice typical lunch somewhere...any suggestions on that? Thank you in advance for any tips...

Rita

I spent 5 days in Barcelona on my own, doing my own thing (no tours) - very easy and inexpensive to get around. There's a good metro (subway) system and many things in the old core are walkable distances apart. If you're looking for Gaudi architecture, you probably will want to walk through part of Eixample and see La Pedrera and Casa Batllo, both on Passeig de Gracia. That area is lovely to walk through - a retail area with many North American chains - and I'm sure you'll find a nice lunch spot nearby too. Passeig de Gracia and Rambla de Catalunya both extend north from Placa Catalunya, which is probably where I'd start my wandering.....those Gaudi buildings are about 4 or 5 blocks north of the Placa (plaza).

Barcelona is a very easy city to navigate and see the sites on your own.

How long are you there? Where are you staying? Do you just want to see the Gaudi sites or other places as well?

We will be there for the day only..it's a port stop...We would be open to seeing other recommended areas/things:)

I spent 5 days in Barcelona on my own, doing my own thing (no tours) - very easy and inexpensive to get around. There's a good metro (subway) system and many things in the old core are walkable distances apart. If you're looking for Gaudi architecture, you probably will want to walk through part of Eixample and see La Pedrera and Casa Batllo, both on Passeig de Gracia. That area is lovely to walk through - a retail area with many North American chains - and I'm sure you'll find a nice lunch spot nearby too. Passeig de Gracia and Rambla de Catalunya both extend north from Placa Catalunya, which is probably where I'd start my wandering.....those Gaudi buildings are about 4 or 5 blocks north of the Placa (plaza).

Is Placa Catalunya walkable from La Rambla?

Placa Catalunya is the northern-most point of La Ramba. Check out a Google Map of La Rambla and you can see how it runs between the shore and Placa Catalunya - it's about 3/4 of a mile from port to plaza.

Thank you!:)

Rita

In addition to the Gaudi sights listed above, Parc Guell is another amazing Gaudi masterpiece that is definitely worth a "look see". :)

jill

Is Placa Catalunya walkable from La Rambla?

Plaza Cataluña (in Catalan Plaça Catalunya) is at the top of Las Ramblas.

The main Gaudi sites (apart from Sagrada Familia) are Casa Batlló, La Pedrera (Casa Milo) and Park Güell although there are other, less famous, places around the city.

If it is a one day port stop I suggest you take the port shuttle bus to the Columbus Monument.

Take the metro from Drassanes to Passeig de Gràcia. Both Casa Batlló and La Pedrera are on Passeig de Gràcia.

When you have seen these, I would suggest you take a cab to Park Güell upper level. You can return by metro from Vallcarca back to Drassanes

If you want somewhere for lunch there is a nice restaurant called El Jardí de l'Àpat near Parc Güell

Plaza Cataluña (in Catalan Plaça Catalunya) is at the top of Las Ramblas.

The main Gaudi sites (apart from Sagrada Familia) are Casa Batlló, La Pedrera (Casa Milo) and Park Güell although there are other, less famous, places around the city.

If it is a one day port stop I suggest you take the port shuttle bus to the Columbus Monument.

Take the metro from Drassanes to Passeig de Gràcia. Both Casa Batlló and La Pedrera are on Passeig de Gràcia.

When you have seen these, I would suggest you take a cab to Park Güell upper level. You can return by metro from Vallcarca back to Drassanes

If you want somewhere for lunch there is a nice restaurant called El Jardí de l'Àpat near Parc Güell

Hello.Is Drassanes at the Columbus monument? Thank you for your suggestions:)

Hello.Is Drassanes at the Columbus monument? Thank you for your suggestions:)

It is not 'at' the monument but it is only a coupe of minutes walk. From where you get off the bus from the ship, walk past Columbus up the bottom part of Las Ramblas. After a couple hundred yards you will see the metro sign (white M on red diamond).

200px-Barcelona_Metro_Logo.svg.png

If you are going to do this exploring on your own I would suggest you get yourself a map. It can be a fairly basic map but make sure it shows metro stations and the places you want to visit.

If you are going to do this exploring on your own I would suggest you get yourself a map. It can be a fairly basic map but make sure it shows metro stations and the places you want to visit.

You have several options of maps to download before you go onto your smartphone (if you have one) - ones that you can use off line and won't need an internet connection to use. I liked doing that so that I wasn't walking around looking at a map all the time - I could look at my iPhone instead (just like half the other people around me - locals and tourists alike).

• 2 weeks later...

From the ship terminal , take the Blue Public Bus . It is cheaper and faster than the shuttle and the driver will show you where the Drassanes Station is located ( about a 8 minutes walk from the bus stop ) . This bus is designed to carry luggage !

Last year , to visit La Predera , we had to buy our tickets ahead of time (on the net) and to have a specific time of arrival for the visit . Casa Battlo is simpler but a bit more expensive

You have several options of maps to download before you go onto your smartphone (if you have one) - ones that you can use off line and won't need an internet connection to use. I liked doing that so that I wasn't walking around looking at a map all the time - I could look at my iPhone instead (just like half the other people around me - locals and tourists alike).

Good suggestion. I use citymaps2go.

Archived