Where ships dock in Tauranga

Sutho

Just wondering if anyone knows or can pinpoint on a google map where the ships dock (Celebrity Solstice I will be on) in Tauranga.

I have been to Rotorua before so was thinking of staying in the city. Views from Mount Maunganui look interesting so I was thinking of walking to the parkland there for a photo stop and leisurly walk.

Reason I ask is I need to know if I will need a taxi out of another dock or if I can wander off the ship and to that place in Tauranga.

Just wondering if anyone knows or can pinpoint on a google map where the ships dock (Celebrity Solstice I will be on) in Tauranga. I have been to Rotorua before so was thinking of staying in the city. Views from Mount Maunganui look interesting so I was thinking of walking to the parkland there for a photo stop and leisurly walk. Reason I ask is I need to know if I will need a taxi out of another dock or if I can wander off the ship and to that place in Tauranga.

Good question, especially since I was just looking at that location within the past hour. Per the Cruise Critic guide, they say: "Ships dock at Salisbury Wharf at the Port of Tauranga, which is actually in the town of Mount Maunganui." If you use either Google or Bing map, you'll the long, rather bland and boring location in Mount Maunganui. Looks like you'll need a taxi or some type of connection in order to reach the more interesting and/or better places.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,184 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Ships berth at Mount Maunganui and you can just walk off the ship into the town with lots of local shops cafe's etc. Also plenty of tour groups, either big or small and cabs available. We found them really helpful with lots of advice.

2264246101_2906126848_b.jpg

Perfect, Thanks.

That is my idea for the day in Tauranga. Been to Rotorua. I figured a leisurly walk up there for photo shoots (weather permitting) and walk back through town.

Now that is one beautiful photo.

Perfect, Thanks.

That is my idea for the day in Tauranga. Been to Rotorua. I figured a leisurly walk up there for photo shoots (weather permitting) and walk back through town.

Now that is one beautiful photo.

Kia ora,

The ship docks by the swimmable 'inner harbour' beach and it is an easy flat stroll to the ocean beach (beautiful sand) and shops & cafes. A walk around the 'Mount' provides good views of the surrounding district (or over the top if you want something more strenuous). Tauranga is actually over the water shown on the top right of the photo. From the ship, on the way in or from Tauranga you may see White Island which is having small eruptions at present.

Aquarians

Archived