Things to do in canada

justloud

Going on the Triumph this summer to St John and Halifax with my DH, 3 boys 11,12,15 and 31 of my closest relatives :eek: . Any suggestions on things to do in port with my family outside of ship excursions. I was throwing around renting a car in one of the ports but which one, and what should we go see?

We have a family reunion on the Triumph on September 5th. Halifax is the easy one. If its a nice day and you are looking for something very inexpensive, take a walk along the extensive boardwalk. You'll pass opportunities for reasonably priced harbor tours, sailing, etc.. You might even be there for the International Busker (street performers) Convention. St. John is more limited. For $20, we took the hour long narrated horse-drawn carriage ride.

I agree with yogimax - Halifax is an easy tour on foot. We walked along the waterfront to the Maritime Museum (it's a great museum and has a Canadian Coast Guard ship for tours), had lunch at a restaurant along the way, and then walked up the hill to the Citadel. There was plenty to do right in town (although our eldest son wants to go back and exploure more of Nova Scotia now....) In Saint John, we opted for the horse-drawn wagon tour (gives you your bearings as well as a good history of the town) and walked around on our own. We first ended up at a local mall (it was raining) where there was a science store; Son #1 had $10 Canadian left over from his class trip to Montreal two months earlier, and that's where he spent it. We then walked through the City Market - think farmers' markets in the States, with restaurants along the way. Then we walked through Kings' Park and up to the Loyalists' Burial Grounds. We had lunch at Steamer's, right across from the dock; had a wonderful lobster bisque. Saint John is a really pretty city.

Reversing Falls in St. John is definitely neat to see as well as the whole Bay of Fundy. They have the most incredible tides there! If you ride the jetboat, be advised...it's not going to be a "dry ride". It's wild and wooly to be sure!

Halifax is a beautiful city and one of my favorites. There is so much Titanic history there as well as the cemetery where so many who perished are buried. If you can, get to Peggy's Cove too. It's lighthouse is one of the most scenic you will ever encounter. Last time I was there, the little post office in the bottom of the lighthouse was still in operation. And if you like blueberries, there was a restaurant in the village that had the most amazing blueberry cake in the world.

Don't know how long you have in Halifax, but if you're able, you could also buzz up to Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. Again, the scenery is amazing. I took a group there several years ago and totally fell in love with NS and Prince Edward Island. The people are wonderful!

We've been to Canada twice and have done 'our own thing' both trips. In St. John we take a long walk around town (lots of HILLS though) and In Halifax we walk the boardwalk (there is also a mall in the middle of town) and take a rickshaw back (good way to get rid of ALLL your Candian $$

good way to get rid of ALLL your Candian $$

I've got a much better way for you, next time. ;)

To the OP ~ Sorry, I have no suggestions. But if you're wondering what to do in Montreal, I'm your girl!

We've been to Canada twice and have done 'our own thing' both trips. In St. John we take a long walk around town (lots of HILLS though) and In Halifax we walk the boardwalk (there is also a mall in the middle of town) and take a rickshaw back (good way to get rid of ALLL your Candian $$

AAAAAHHHHHHHH...the rickshaw guys.....um, ;) I opted to only sit on the side lines (boardwalk) and watch the follies unfold before me. I would gladly hand over the rest of my Candian $ as a tip for the show!!!! ;) The rickshaw men were some of the funniest things/events I saw on our trip to Halifax.....can not wait to get back there!!! :)

Archived