Leaving next week--Birth Certificate Question

ntengwall

I have a passport but cannot find it anywhere and we leave in a week! I do have my birth certificate and my license but will it be a problem that my birth certificate has my maiden name (obviously) but my license has my married name? My maiden name is my middle name but I don't want to take any chances!

It's a closed loop from Ft Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean so I know I don't need a passport but I'm just worried because my license is in my married name.

I have a passport but cannot find it anywhere and we leave in a week! I do have my birth certificate and my license but will it be a problem that my birth certificate has my maiden name (obviously) but my license has my married name? My maiden name is my middle name but I don't want to take any chances!

It's a closed loop from Ft Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean so I know I don't need a passport but I'm just worried because my license is in my married name.

Call Princess now to get a definitive answer. There are legalities involved with US Immigration.

Where is your voyage sailing from and to?

Sorry--meant to add it's a closed loop from Ft Lauderdale to Eastern Caribbean. I know I don't NEED a passport but I'm just worried about my birth certificate not matching my license with my married name.

We had the same problem in Nov, except we didn't realize it until the day before we left for the cruise. Called to find out what was acceptable. As long as it is a closed end cruise (meaning leaving and returning to the same US port), if you have a birth certificate with a seal - not a photo copy, and a piece of government issued ID - License, etc. you will be OK. However all names have to match EXACTLY. Since you mentioned you were married, you will need to bring your original mariage certificate, once again not a copy.

You can call to verify, but I doubt things have changed since Nov. Have a great cruise.

BTW I found my wife's passport just last week. I had scaned it into the computer to have a record of it and never removed it! Didn't find it until I went to scan something else in.

Regulations do not require that your current name (ID) match your birth certificate. If you have the marriage license copy, by all means bring it, but you were supposed to show that to get the name change on your DL in the first place. The only line that 'required' a complete history and bridging documents was RCI. They no longer do. Princess has never required bridging documents; they generally match up your first name, middle initial and birth date on the BC and ID and that is enough. Same as the government does when they use your BC and ID in issuing you a passport. If you have some sort of unusual name change history, by all means being proof that you are the person named on the BC, but it is not a requirement of the WHTI and is not generally needed for most people who simply change a last name by marriage.

Thanks everyone for all your replies! Believe it or not, I found my passport about an hour after I posted! I'll always make sure to have a passport from here on out...I was seriously worried about only using my BC and license.

Keep it in your bank safe deposit box.

Official (not hospital) copy of birth certificate, marriage license and driver's license is all you need if you can't find your birth certificate. The marriage license is the link between your birth certificate and driver's license to show the name change.

Archived