Vancouver Hotel Location

Scott - has that Keg opened yet - last time by there they hadn't opened yet.

If they hadn't already opened, I was pretty sure they would have been by July. I walked past it today and paid no attention, so I'm glad someone else was able to chime in.

We are staying at the St. Regis for 2 nights in July. Could you recommend any restaurants nearby? Our days will be jam-packed, so we are looking for something low-key, like burgers, sandwiches, pasta, etc. We'll do our fine dining aboard the ship. :rolleyes:

On Robson near Richards, a couple blocks from where you will be, you'll find some tiny food shops. Although there are a ton within downtown. Anyways, there's a tiny restaurant called Viet Sub. They specialize in Vietnamese Sandwiches and imo are the best in the city. Also beside is Japadog, very touristy. Known for their Japanese style hotdogs, basically hot dogs with teriyaki and mayo and seaweed. Very tasty if that's your type of food.

On Robson near Richards, a couple blocks from where you will be, you'll find some tiny food shops. Although there are a ton within downtown. Anyways, there's a tiny restaurant called Viet Sub. They specialize in Vietnamese Sandwiches and imo are the best in the city. Also beside is Japadog, very touristy. Known for their Japanese style hotdogs, basically hot dogs with teriyaki and mayo and seaweed. Very tasty if that's your type of food.

Mmmm, Viet Sub (on Robson). They're the best. Love the Kimchi sub

Anyone know how far Hampton Inn is from the cruise port?

Depends which pier your ship is at... if you're on one of the peak weekends with 4 ships, you might be at Ballantyne (usually an NCL vessel docks here when Canada Place is full) but almost all ships use Canada Place.

Here's a Bing Map with walking directions between A - Canada Place, B - the Hampton, C - Ballantyne. I really don't recommend walking to Ballantyne even if you're comfortable with the distance, handling cases etc. - you'd pass through the least appealing parts of town...

And here's a Google map with driving directions between same points.

(Google doesn't know you can walk over Healey Ave, Bing doesn't know you can drive along Stewart, hence the use of two different sites...)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have thought on the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown? I have Hilton points :o

I've never been to Vancouver and will be booking a hotel for 3 nights in early June post cruise(which I just booked today)

I saw the wonderful hotel list below, but was wondering if anyone could chime in on the Hilton's location pros/cons.

Jen

Does anyone have thought on the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown? I have Hilton points :o

I've never been to Vancouver and will be booking a hotel for 3 nights in early June post cruise(which I just booked today)

I saw the wonderful hotel list below, but was wondering if anyone could chime in on the Hilton's location pros/cons.

About 7 miles from downtown in the neighbouring City of Burnaby. It's located next door to a very large shopping mall, just off Kingsway which is miles of small stores.

The Pros:

• Metrotown Mall is the largest mall in the province,
  • Crystal Mall is possibly more Chinese than any Chinatown you've ever seen.
  • It's close to the original Skytrain line which drops you 1/2 block from Canada Place.

The Cons:

• It's not really near much that would be interesting to a tourist.

I think a tourist would likely get more from the experience staying closer to downtown. However, If the price is right, and you're willing to ride the rails to get downtown and beyond, (it's dead easy to get downtown from there on Skytrain - about 15 min) I wouldn't completely write it off.

Jen

The Hampton Inn at Robson & Beatty is the closest Hilton property to the cruise port. It seems to be pretty popular with cruisers, especially if you collect Hilton points, and while it may not be as close to the pier as several other popular hotels it's in a great location for exploring Yaletown, Gastown & Chinatown. They include breakfast, a local shuttle and also free bike rentals - no idea how *many* bikes they have though.

Thank you for the info, 7 miles from downtown is too far. Doesn't need to be close to the port, as it's post cruise. I'll go back to the list below and price some of them. :)

Jen

About 7 miles from downtown in the neighbouring

City of Burnaby. It's located next door to a very large shopping mall, just off Kingsway which is miles of small stores.

The Pros:

• Metrotown Mall is the largest mall in the province,
  • Crystal Mall is possibly more Chinese than any Chinatown you've ever seen.
  • It's close to the original Skytrain line which drops you 1/2 block from Canada Place.

The Cons:

• It's not really near much that would be interesting to a tourist.

I think a tourist would likely get more from the experience staying closer to downtown. However, If the price is right, and you're willing to ride the rails to get downtown and beyond, (it's dead easy to get downtown from there on Skytrain - about 15 min) I wouldn't completely write it off.

Thanks for the info, going to look something downtown....will just save those Hilton free nights for another destination.

It will be post cruise so it doesn't need to be near the port. The list of hotels on this thread is a good starting point.

Thanks,

Jen:o

The Hampton Inn at Robson & Beatty is the closest Hilton property to the cruise port. It seems to be pretty popular with cruisers, especially if you collect Hilton points, and while it may not be as close to the pier as several other popular hotels it's in a great location for exploring Yaletown, Gastown & Chinatown. They include breakfast, a local shuttle and also free bike rentals - no idea how *many* bikes they have though.

Thank you for the info, 7 miles from downtown is too far. Doesn't need to be close to the port, as it's post cruise. I'll go back to the list below and price some of them. :)

Jen

You may care to check Hotwire or do some bidding Priceline. There has been some great deals on Hotwire lately....just don't take anything under 4* that is in the Entertainment District.

I booked at the Residence Inn with friends for our Sept 22nd Coastal. I was at the Blue Horizon but when I learned our friends were at the Residence Inn & moved. I didn't realize it was further out.

As the crow flies you will be a little further from Canada Place but the actual distance will be about the same. What you will miss is the lovely shops and restaurants on Robson St. However if you are with friends I am certain that you will have a good time & you are hardly in the boonies.

Thank you putterdude. That was the one thing that concerned me was not being near the shops and restaurants, but the Residence Inn is receiving excellant reviews and looks like a lovely place to stay. This was a spur of the moment cruise for me and one DH chose to pass on since we have the long awaited Australia trip coming up in March of 2014.:). Normally I wouldn't do a 7 day but our friends called and asked if we wanted to join them, even offering DH a drink didn't budge him.:D he said you go & I will watch the cat.

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone give me an idea of the cost of a taxi from the airport to Canada Place/Pan Pacific? And would one need Canadian dollars? thanks, EM

As of 2 weeks ago when I took that trip, it was about $40 Canadian.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver&from=Vancouver+Airport+%28YVR%29&to=Canada+Place

I paid in Canadian currency. Other threads here on CC discuss whether Vancouver taxis will take USD.

Can someone give me an idea of the cost of a taxi from the airport to Canada Place/Pan Pacific? And would one need Canadian dollars? thanks, EM

Depending on traffic your fare will be in the region of $35. All of the taxis will accept USD and US Visa, MasterCard and some AMEX.

The Canada Line of SkyTrain does cost less than a cab but is no faster by the time one, leaves the terminal to YVR station, pays their fare, waits for a train, then walks the 3 blocks from Waterfront station to Canada Place...both services take about 35 minutes and if you have can't handle your own luggage or have mobility difficulties .... stay with the taxi idea.

Archived