bugs on the Nieuw Amsterdam

sun~

I'm having a bout of "Speak my mind" so I might as well get it all out.

OP states he was bitten by bugs. This is a major complaint worthy of taking to guest services and being investigated by the housekeeping manager or whoever because it could have come from other's cabins and bugs on cruise ships isn't unheard of...

Maybe you never experienced it, but the OP states that he did, so if you weren't there well you don't know.

This thread is pretty old isn't it? Just a side question. Anyhow.

The comment about elderly people not seeing dirty carpets is a dig, yes, I can see taking offense, but I can see the OP being offended as well.

If one can take it up with the Hotel Manager about noisy neighbors that are 'bugging' them (yes I just made a terrible pun) which I've read about a lot, then this certainly qualifies.

I would say if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all but then I would be a hypocrite.

I also never mentioned in my own review having trouble with the toilet flushing multiple times, but saying a little prayer and having it flush some time later.

I didn't mention a handful of things that weren't perfect, and half the reason why is fear of a flare up like this one... can we really be honest here? I'm starting to wonder. A thread about no real maple syrup (sorry to that OP, no offense, we all have our peeves) can exist with much support from other members, yet other threads get attacked? What's the great divide here? Is it who posts? Color me confused?

It is sad. I know elderly folk probably don't notice the dirty furniture or carpets. They were pretty evident.

This really bothers me, to make a blanket statement about old people? Most people, old or young can tell if something is dirty or not. Be nice.

OP states he was bitten by bugs. This is a major complaint worthy of taking to guest services and being investigated by the housekeeping manager or whoever because it could have come from other's cabins and bugs on cruise ships isn't unheard of...

Maybe you never experienced it, but the OP states that he did, so if you weren't there well you don't know.

The comment about elderly people not seeing dirty carpets is a dig, yes, I can see taking offense, but I can see the OP being offended as well.

If one can take it up with the Hotel Manager about noisy neighbors that are 'bugging' them (yes I just made a terrible pun) which I've read about a lot, then this certainly qualifies.

I would say if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all but then I would be a hypocrite.

I also never mentioned in my own review having trouble with the toilet flushing multiple times, but saying a little prayer and having it flush some time later.

I didn't mention a handful of things that weren't perfect, and half the reason why is fear of a flare up like this one... can we really be honest here? I'm starting to wonder. A thread about no real maple syrup (sorry to that OP, no offense, we all have our peeves) can exist with much support from other members, yet other threads get attacked? What's the great divide here? Is it who posts? Color me confused?

ValleyD - you are like a breath of fresh air around here!

I have just read the OP's cruise review. I now understand what a Blues Cruise is. If the claim of almost 'around-the-clock' music at all the venues is true, I'm not sure how any place on the ship except the hallways could have been cleaned regularly.

You go girl!!

As for the comments regarding the elderly and cleaning...not sure if at 55 I qualify as 'elderly' but call me 'I just don't care about cleaning any more'. :D

I've got better things to do. Now that the weather is getting warmer (finally) in the Midwest, I'm the old, fat lady riding her Harley on the back roads enjoying the fresh air. :p

I am sitting here in my lunch break getting itchier and itchier reading this thread and have to chuckle. I currently have 3 big welts on me, which are driving me crazy. I went to bed in my clean bedroom, on my 2 month old brand new mattress and woke up with the bites. Its not bed bugs but this time every year, something gets into our bedroom, we suspect a nest of little spiders and we spend the next month itching and fumigating everything. I have a spring clean in Autumn.

I come from a place where there are all sort of biting insects, everywhere and while I don't downplay the OP's distress getting bitten is nothing new to me. I actually took on our cruise bug repellent, soothing cream and antiseptic cream - all for the bugs. Funny thing though, didn't get bitten once :) Murphy's Law if you come prepared for something it won't happen but if I hadn't come prepared it would have. I also expect to get bitten anywhere anytime, the bugs in Australia don't care whether you are clean or not, you are all fair game:D

Onmy first Hal voyage I too noticed the lack of complete cleanliness on Noordam . I mentioned it to the concierge in Neptune lounge .she was shocked i had found that ship to,be the dirtiest I ad ever seen Well went back this winter and lo andbehold staff were scrubbing polishing and cleaning all the time . The ship was in great shape

Perhaps it helps if we point out lacks

Mine were corrected on .noordam

ValleyD - you are like a breath of fresh air around here!

I'll second that. Great post:)

I don't think you would have been flamed if you had mentioned your issues. Your review was objective and well done:)

Onmy first Hal voyage I too noticed the lack of complete cleanliness on Noordam . I mentioned it to the concierge in Neptune lounge .she was shocked i had found that ship to,be the dirtiest I ad ever seen Well went back this winter and lo andbehold staff were scrubbing polishing and cleaning all the time . The ship was in great shape

Perhaps it helps if we point out lacks

Mine were corrected on .noordam

I thought the same thing about the Celebrity Solstice. It was far more dirty than princess ship we were on. Sometimes it has to do with the passengers? Some people are lazy! On our Celebrity trip, people left food, plates, cups etc all over the ship. The bathrooms were dirty, the decks were dirty and we even had a fist fight. All I heard from others was “Celebrity is the best.” From my experience, it was far from the best. I know it has been years, but thus far nothing compares to the Westerdam we were on. Princess is a close second. But again, it could have been the clientele but I have no desire to go back.

I have a suggestion, only a theory mind you. Since this happened on the first day, could it be possible that the dress could have had something crawl in it from somewhere from outside the ship and boarding? I assume it was in Florida and am also assuming a single Fire Ant might have hitched a ride unnoticed. Wearing the article of clothing might have "woke up" the so called hitch hiker and therefore began randomly biting her. This sounds very much how they attack. It was probably stopped when the area was brushed with her hand. They are so small it could have then gone completely unnoticed. Just saying.:D:D

Whether it was the first day or not, a fire ant is about the only bug I know that you do not "see" that could make you yelp AND leave a scar.

I normally stay out of threads that may become controversial ... but do have to speak up this time. We have close to 200 days on HAL, and there has not been one single day during which I was not totally impressed with the cleaning crew. Never did I NOT find one within eyesight, and each was diligently working to keep things as close to perfect as possible. These are good people who literally give their lives to HAL, for months on end. And they work hard to keep their jobs.

I cannot sit idly by and not say something when their work is belittled here.

I do not doubt the validity of your bug bites - but cannot fathom they were caused by a dirty ship. Not a Holland America ship.

What does this have to do with the fact that he was bitten and staff did not make him feel that his need was a priority? Its called customer service and I would expect it on a premium line. Its not difficult.

Archived