Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Only use for a scale --to weigh my post cruise luggage! -we used to weigh our bags in spa before we had a digital scale. So there is one use only IMO.

A ha! So there is a good use!

I actually stepped on it...once. It measured me in Kilograms, rather than pounds, and I have to say, I LOVED my weight in metric.

Not so much in pounds. ;)

FYI - you can book the cupcake classes online in the Pre-Cruise planner BEFORE you sail. I believe it's under the specialty restaurant category.

And as Sherri said, the cupcakes are delicious!!!

How much is a class like the cupcake?

Also do you have your compass -when Horticulture Central Park Tour was..thinking of things my senior parents would like. Any cooking demos on ship?

PictureofMyShadow_zps2a0a5646.jpg

Coming out of lurkdom and can't believe nobody else commented on this! Nah, this isn't a picture of your shadow -- it's a picture of a cat taken in Brainy Brad's honor by a very obviously NOT TIPSY Drama Queen. Only it was moving too fast (laying down, hahahaha) for you to capture its head in the frame, too!

Love your reviews!

How much is a class like the cupcake?

Also do you have your compass -when Horticulture Central Park Tour was..thinking of things my senior parents would like. Any cooking demos on ship?

The Cupcake class was around $20+ - but hopefully, Amy will jump in with the exact amount!

The Cruise Compass is right after my posting for the day - it should be in this review. The tour was around 3:30 pm that afternoon...they offered it twice during the week, I believe....

I don't think there were any cooking demos...there was definitely drink-mixing demos, as well as ice-carving demos, and napkin-folding demos....but check the Cruise Compasses in detail, and see if they're there and I missed them!

Coming out of lurkdom and can't believe nobody else commented on this! Nah, this isn't a picture of your shadow -- it's a picture of a cat taken in Brainy Brad's honor by a very obviously NOT TIPSY Drama Queen. Only it was moving too fast (laying down, hahahaha) for you to capture its head in the frame, too!

Love your reviews!

Oh, Jessica - this made me laugh. Okay. I wasn't going to post this picture, because no one else would understand the significance...but for YOU, here it is:

Cat_zps065a4000.jpg

I DID get a complete picture of the cat...especially for Brainy Brad! Aren't you proud of me??!!

This is the conversation that took place in my head that day:

"Oh, look - a cat! I need to take that photo for Brainy Brad!"

After snapping the photo and looking through my viewfinder, I then said:

"Oh, look - a shadow! I need to take a photo of my own shadow!"

Why? I have no idea!

But I like your explanation better. ;)

LOVING your review, Sherri. :) I keep checking to make sure I don't miss anything. I'll be sorry to see it end. :( When's your nx cruise???

Just a note about the Cupcake Class. When we were on Oasis it was $22. for the class.

Thank you!

I KNEW someone would have the exact amount...I was close!

My next cruise departs on April 11th...yay! It's a short one, though - 5 days only - but should be a lot of fun!

My next adventure after that will be a 10-day vacation to NYC; we leave on June 21. We have four Broadway shows planned, and numerous food tours of the city. Can't wait to post a review of that - but of course, that won't be on Cruise Critic. :(

Guess

1Guess_zpsf2fe7e05.jpg

This trendy shop has purses, jewelry, accessories, and apparel…and sunglasses. Lots of sunglasses.

2Guess_zps3099541c.jpg

Prince & Greene

1Prince_zps1682c17f.jpg

This shop offers accessories and clothing for both men and women – featuring designers such as Betsey Johnson, Kenneth Cole, Fred Perry and Marc Jacobs.

2Prince_zps4477137b.jpg

3Prince_zps628ab15a.jpg

Cute suits…I didn’t check prices, though…probably more than what I would normally spend!

I didn't buy anything in these shops...nothing really that I needed...but it was fun to browse!

not sure if prices were normal or outrageous, but from your wonderful photos ( love the swimwear) This would be one cruise having "lost" luggage one wouldn't be forced to wear cruise logo wear. Or just pack less and buy fun stuff on ship. :-)

Now...let's talk plug-ins.

They're scarce. Trust me. You won't find any in your bathroom (there is one, but it's dedicated to a razor). Most of your plug-ins will be at the vanity area:

There's a 3-plug on the TOP of the vanity. I've got my Mac laptop cord plugged in, so you can see the size of what it can handle:

MacPlugIn_zps180df9a4.jpg

There's also some UNDER the Vanity/Desk area:

UnderVanity_zpsc3d38d60.jpg

And then...there's the "secret" plug-in, that a lot of people miss. I would have missed it had I not been doing my research here on Cruise Critic. This plug-in is located under the bed - behind the headboard:

UnderBed_zpse101bc98.jpg

I've had to pull the mattress up...you're seeing the springs, as well as the carpet...and I have my "White Noise Machine" plugged in. This will be the plug-in to use if you require something to be plugged in close to your bed. It will be close to the nightstand where the telephone is (since you can see the phone line in the picture).

There. So much for the cabin. Now on to the bathroom.

Oh, not for ME. I mean for our tour!

Finally a plug by the bed. (i've always looked for one on Carnival ships) The person Who thought of it was obviously not the venue namer :rolleyes:

Thanks for review, it has been a while since we sailed RCI and ready for new designs, service and "ships that don't breakdown" ;)

Have to decide ship size or itinerary based.

Soon, it was time to get gussied up and head up to meet Amy & Steve for dinner. Tonight was formal night; I chose to wear a Little Black Dress that I had already worn previously in the week, when I dined at 150 Central Park:

LBD_zps018e70ef.jpg

Notice my Sea Bands on my wrists...this tells me that it must have been a bit rocky onboard that night...which would make sense, as we were heading north and we were moving fast...just an FYI.

With regards to Formal Night…I really saw a wide range of dress…men were in tuxedos, suits, Dockers, and jeans. Women would tend to dress up a bit more – with long formal gowns, or cocktail dresses.

With a strand of pearls, I figured it was dressy enough…and it didn’t have a belt. This was to be VERY important tonight, as we feasted at the Samba Grill Brazilian Steakhouse.

Let’s talk about this particular dining venue. It’s located in the Solarium…but during the day, it is the Solarium Bistro. At night, it transforms to a romantic Brazilian-style dining experience.

I arrived first, and soon, Amy & Steve, and Pat & Jerry arrived. Wait. Let me clarify this. Steve came SKIPPING up. With glee. And a huge smile on his face. Steve had been waiting ALL WEEK to dine at the Samba Grill, so he was practically giddy with excitement, now that the night was finally here. This was to be his birthday celebration. They had made these reservations quite a while ago, and it wasn’t a big problem at all to add me to the reservation at the last minute. We were quickly seated near the center of the dining room…

Let me insert here that the restaurant is rather...dark. I took photos of the dinner - but they really didn't turn out, as I was using my iPhone, and I didn’t know to set it for “night time” photos. Just close your eyes and use your imagination.

Wait. If you close your eyes, you won't be able to read this. Drat. Well - OPEN your eyes and use your imagination. Same thing.

The servers are known as “gaucho servers” – or Brazilian-style “cowboys” – and our server took our drink order and then told us to help ourselves at the soup, salad and appetizer buffet. There was a good selection, but most of us knew to not over-indulge here…for we were going to need all available stomach space for the main course.

Once we were done with our soup & salad course, our server explained what was coming next. We were going to be receiving NINE different cuts of meat…each cut would come to the table via a kebob – or stick. The nine different meats we would be eating consisted of:

SambaGrillMenu_zps48c1e186.jpg

The server then indicated a little “light box” on the table. I thought it was just a unique table decoration, but there was a purpose to the light. It would tell our meat server when to bring the next course.

SambaGrillLightSystem_zpsd1cc3fb7.jpg

When we wanted MORE meat, we were to make the light box turn green.

When we wanted the meat to stop – either permanently, for a brief respite, we were to make the light red.

To sum it up: the light box is like the Air Traffic Controller for the feast.

Well. Steve works for a major airline company, and he is ALL into aviation. I handed the light to Steve and said, “We’re going to make you the Meat Traffic Controller.”

Hee hee.

And so we began. We settled into our seats, fastened our seat belts, and told Steve to “go for green.” Here came the first course, and it was succulent…and rich…and delectable. Yum.

A few minutes went by, and Steve hits green, and out comes meat #2. Again, it was succulent, and rich, and delectable. Yum.

This went on for course #3…and course #4…and course #5…but by now, we’re all noticeably slowing down….the portions were so tasty, it was difficult to remember we were in a marathon of meat – not just a sprint.

Starting to feel a bit full, but determined to finish this marathon to the end, we tell Steve to go for green again, and soon, course #6 arrives…then course #7….by now, I feel like I’m on Mile Marker #23 of a marathon…thinking, “Surely – I am going to DIE. But what a way to go!”

I’m ready to throw in the towel and give up, but the green light goes on once again, and Course #8 arrives…and about the time I am ready to burst…the last and final course, #9, arrives.

And we all plead with Steve, “RED LIGHT! RED LIGHT! MAKE IT STOP!!!”

Steve didn’t need convincing…we had all pretty much gone into a major food coma by then….and so…after the 9th course…we rested.

Our server came over to see if we needed resuscitation at this point, and he accomplished it with finesse:

“Would you like some dessert?”

Well. Yes. Of course.

I DO have pictures of the dessert…because it was pretty.

SambaGrillDessert_zps3be899d2.jpg

I had this…I have no idea what it was, because my brain was pretty much shut-down at this point, but I DO remember it was good.

The other popular choice at our table was this:

SambaGrillDessert2_zpscfcca7e1.jpg

So…a delightful evening…with scrumptious and filling food. Captain Johnny and several of the senior officers dined at a table not too far from us this night, and they were having a good time. The restaurant had a good amount of people, but wasn’t overly crowded – nor overly loud.

Was this worth the $25 cover charge?

Oh, heavens…YES. I would choose this over Chops Grille any day…for the sheer amount of food you receive, as well as the experience. And - although I didn't dine here solo - I saw no reason why I couldn't have. This would be perfect for a solo diner...the ambiance is nice and relaxing, and the food is delicious.

After dinner, I went to the Thermal Suite to just relax for awhile…as I was pretty much paralyzed at this point. When I went to my cabin, I was a little appalled when I met my new roommate for the evening:

Crocodile_zpsdb26a17b.jpg

Hey. Living in Florida for part of the year...we do NOT like to come home and find gators in our bed....

I told him that I’d had 9 different meats for dinner that night…and if he gave me ANY trouble, he would become Course #10. Needless to say, he behaved himself.

Up next: Cruise Compasses for Day #6

I discovered you with your Europe trip as many others have, and enjoy your writing tremendously.

Wanted to agree with your experience with Caribbean hospitality and their rum!!! Our first cruise we stopped in St Crox and toured the Cruzan Rum Distillery. Now this is a well known brand, but the rum vats were outdoor uncovered!?!? and very smelly. But in the shop at the end of the tour they mixed several different rum drinks. When everyone had one, they offered those remaining. And since time was tight, they told us we could drink them on the shuttle. Forcing us to imbibe!

Also, thanks for a few tips on Ft Myers as I will be down there soon. Have done most of the attractions, but did want some help with restaurants. For places to stay, you said "by the pier", is that just at the end of the bridge?

Am not familiar with Randy Wayne White. Are they mysteries? His sales probably just jumped from your endosement.

I will jump cruise lines to read your next crusie review. Take care.

Kim

Edited by OHlady

Awesome review, great information! I'm kind of sad that it's coming to an end!

Yes...as lalalisa has pointed out, I only have ONE MORE DAY to write about - Day #7...and this will come to an end...

But what a day!

I have some great notes and photos of the All Access Tour - where we visit the Galley, the Laundry Room, the Crew Hang Out, the Bridge, the Engine Room - cool, cool stuff....

...and one more dining review - back to 150 Central Park, for the "other" menu.

I hope...HOPE...to finish this by tomorrow...cross your fingers!

Was there the dancer at the Samba Grill that night? Other than all the meat, I think she was DH's favorite part ;)

He always wants to go to the local Texas de Brazil for special dinners. I'll wait to go back on Allure for their Brazilian steakhouse. I won't feel guilty at spending $25 for that meal, but the $45 at TdB is a little steep (and that doesn't include dessert!). I just can't eat that much meat.

Reading your review makes my mouth water (for Allure and Samba Grill)! I'm glad we have another day and night left. Would you mind posting your blog link again? I really need to remember to bookmark that page. Love your blog!

He graduated from the School of Engineering in 1973...

Why, yes, I'm a trophy wife. Thank you for noticing that. ;)

LOL I don't think I can comment on that without sounding creepy. But we did not overlap. I started that fall [liberal arts - not engineering, but I knew quite a few]

The first time my boyfriend came with me on a RCI cruise, on our 2nd day (Sunday), while in the elevator, he said "Funny, yesterday we were in the Saturday elevator". He thought that the day of the week was the "name" of the elevator. I laugh every time I tell that story! HAHAHA.

That is hilarious. I recall when signs were carpet and "stalking" the elevator to watch it get changed. Thanks for the details like elevator signs Sherri. p.s. my mom spells her name that way too - not a fan of given name Sharon.

Glad you are back Sherri! Really enjoying the review.

When we went to Nassau we walked to the zoo (it would have been a long walk on a healing foot). It was an interesting experience, a tiny zoo, but we had some great interactions with local children.

Glad to hear you did get off the boat! I agree- if you don't, you can't say you've 'been' there.

FYI we were able to catch local jitney bus for $1.25 and dropped off on main road a few blocks away. We did walk back though.

Good tip - do you think they'd sell baking soda in the RCI Gift Shop onboard?! I could probably have sweet-talked Norman, my cabin attendant - or William, my Chai-tea guy - into getting some from the kitchen for me...??! :)

I LIKE that! Carry torches and pitchforks, too - that would be awesome. :)

Ok I think the pretty gym twins could use a special spa oil hair treatment...:p

We’re up to Day #5…! This had us docking in St. Maarten…and here’s where I decided to change things up a bit. Originally, I had thought that I would just stay on the ship – the entire time – except for that brief “step off” in Nassau…but…by Day #5, I was going a bit…ship crazy. Yes. Even on a ship as large as the Allure – the feel of soil beneath my feet was calling me, and I decided that I absolutely MUST get off the ship in St. Maarten, or I was going to go off the deep end. Ha - no pun intended. When you start talking to the towel animals in your room, you know you need a change of scenery!

Amy & Steve were going to be renting a car and driving around the island – including a stop at the famous Maho Beach (for the airplanes). I’d just done that in July on my mother/daughter cruise, and it WAS pretty cool, but I needed something…different.

So…about two nights before we docked in St. Maarten, I perused the interactive TV in my cabin, and came across a shore excursion entitled “Made in Paradise.” For $56 (and it is now $59, I see on the RCI website - INFLATION!!), this is the description:

Start with a scenic drive in an air-conditioned tour bus through the rolling landscape uncovering the charm and highlights of the Dutch side. Continue across the border into the French side traveling to Orient Bay lookout point, hailed as the "French Riviera of the Caribbean".

You will then proceed to Ma DouDou's locally crafted rum factory situated in a tiny shack obscured by overgrown foliage. You will be fascinated with the century old tradition of how to create flavored rum using tropical fruits, spices and other exotic aromatics. Free tastings of different varieties are also part of this fun experience including one that possesses aphrodisiac properties.

Your tour continues to the island's only working perfumery, Tijon, where you will receive a guided interactive tour on the French fine art of traditional perfume making. A master perfumer will reveal the secrets of perfume creation. As he verbally tests your knowledge about perfumes, he will explain the manufacturing process utilizing French traditional methods.

You will then proceed to the highlight of the tour, a French Caribbean cooking demonstration. A reputable French chef will demonstrate, worthy of a Food Network Show, several cooking methods and recipes typical of the French Caribbean. Using local ingredients and spices of the region, a variety of dish samples will be created for you to try in a picturesque ocean setting featuring one of the most beautiful beaches of St. Martin. This is an absolutely breathtaking setting too irresistible to be missed.

After the demonstration you have the option of visiting the Creole market or remaining on the beach before returning to the ship.

This sounded like the perfect excursion for me…because, really, rum? You can never go wrong with rum…and perfume? I am a perfume fanatic…there is seriously NOT a day that I don’t have a spritz of perfume on. I really do feel naked if I’m not wearing a scent, so I thought this would be pretty interesting to visit a perfumery. A French perfumery, no less….! And then – the highlight of the tour – a cooking demonstration? Well. We all know that I am a major FOODIE, so this sounded…wonderful. Caribbean food. Bliss. Finished with some time at the beach, and this was going to be truly “made in paradise.” Count me in.

With a click of the button, I had purchased a ticket for this excursion, which was in my stateroom by the next evening. Keep this in mind if you don’t want to stand in long lines at the Shore Excursion Desk on the Royal Promenade…you can do it quickly – and effortlessly – in your own cabin, via the TV screen.

So…the morning that we docked in St. Maarten, I had a bit of time before meeting up with my tour group…so, I had some decisions to make with my free time. My first decision was that I was going to PUNISH Ms. Cameron Diaz-twin in the gym for her snarky attitude yesterday by NOT going to Stretch Class…HA! That would show HER! How dare she question our integrity the day before….? Well. As far as I was concerned, I was DONE with Stretch Class…and I couldn’t help but notice that my inner conscience celebrated just a tad bit when it realized it didn’t have to drag my butt out of bed every morning by 7:30 a.m.

I'm sure Ms. Diaz-twin noticed my absence and was upset by it greatly.

My second decision was breakfast…I could go fight the inevitable crowds in the Windjammer, or I could go visit William in the Café Promenade. For Chai and chocolate.

Needless to say, William won.

My tour group wasn’t meeting until 10:00 am, but I was too anxious to sit on the ship anymore…so I soon disembarked and sat on the pier for awhile. There are little benches that are available for seating, and I had a grand old time watching cruisers disembark, find their tour groups, and head off to explore the island. Yes, I highly recommend pier-people-creeping, as it is truly fascinating. Some people come off the ship, all excited and laughing and happy…and then…there are those OTHER families…that come off the ship, already sniping at each other….

“Did you bring the sunscreen?”

“NO! That was YOUR job!”

“No, it wasn’t. My job was to bring the tickets for the excursion. You only had ONE job – and you blew it!! Now I have to go ALL THE WAY BACK because you BLEW it!!"

I’d shake my head, wondering just how the rest of the day was going to go for THOSE people. And so glad they weren’t going to be in MY tour. Because I'm selfish like that. Hee hee.

At various times, the Shore Excursion people would hold up their paddles, announcing what tour group was now forming, and the masses of barbarians would swarm and form a line behind their leader. One such barbarian group amassed right by the bench that I was sitting at, and as I was glancing at them, one couple stood out. Initially, it was because they were so close to me – that I could have reached out and touched them. “Personal space, personal space,” I muttered, as I looked at them a bit more closely.

Wait. I KNOW these women!!!

It was the Brazilian Muster Mother/Daughter Couple! Fernanda and Amelia!

Again – what are the odds? That of all these passengers, I keep running into two – TWO – that I know? So bizarre…. I had a brief moment to say hi to them before their own Paddled Leader was leading their troops off to battle…I mean, off to explore the island. Their army had to consist of at least 75 barbarians – I mean, cruisers – and I thought, “Wow. I wonder how big my OWN barbarian army’s going to be? I HATE large crowds.”

Soon, it was close to 10:00, so I began looking for my own Paddled Leader…and to my pleasant surprise, I not only found my Leader…I found that our “army” was less than 15 people. Whew. Small group, which was fine by me.

Our tour guide, Gabriel, was quite the character. As he got us settled on the nicely air-conditioned mini-bus, he explained that we could call him “Angel” Gabriel – as he was our “guardian angel” for the day. As we drove to our first stop, Gabriel kept up a running commentary on the island – with a bit of humor thrown in for good measure.

I was looking forward to the Rum Factory…I envisioned a 10,000-square foot factory with forklifts and machinery and thousands and thousands of bottles of rum...ha. We pulled up to Ma Dou Dou’s – as evidenced by the sign out front:

RumSign_zpsa25ccd9a.jpg

I then looked for the 10,000-square foot rum factory I had dreamed about, and saw this, instead:

RumFactory_zps76f4fc6c.jpg

Oh. My. That's a FACTORY???!!

If I’d bother to read the tour description in full, it DOES say:

“You will then proceed to Ma DouDou's locally crafted rum factory situated in a tiny shack obscured by overgrown foliage.”

Yes. This is true. It's a tiny shack obscured by overgrown trees.

Ma DouDou herself – otherwise known as Anna – then comes out to the little awning, where she gathers our group up around her – in front of a display table that is covered with all sorts of colorful bottles and such:

DisplayTable_zps75d1cee5.jpg

Rum! Pretty!

She then begins explaining how the various rums are concocted – such as the banana rum, or the coconut rum…

MissAna_zps10ac64d9.jpg

Soon, it’s time to sample the various rums…she pours generous sips in little plastic cups and hands them out. This stuff was STRONG – but good. Yum. I liked it. I liked it a lot. I liked it TOO much for only 10:30 in the morning – on very little breakfast.

RumSample_zps2957f8c8.jpg

Yum. I like rum. I like rum in my tum. Dad gum, I LIKE rum.

After sampling at least three different kinds, I was feeling REALLY good…so good, that I managed to capture this AMAZING photograph…

PictureofMyShadow_zps2a0a5646.jpg

…of my own shadow. Yes. You know you’ve had TOO MUCH RUM when you take pictures of your own shadow while on a Caribbean island. Sigh. Perhaps I DO need a chaperone while cruising, after all. To save myself from embarrassing moments such as this.

Anyway, after the tasting, and after taking pictures of shadows on the ground, Ana directed us – in small groups – to the pink shack, where we could purchase some rum of our own – for $10 a bottle. Well. Wanting to help the economy as much as possible, I purchased a few bottles. Strictly an economical thing, mind you. I also got a bottle of AMAZING hot sauce for Hubby. He told me later that it is some of the best hot sauce he’s ever had – and he’s the king of hot sauces – so it really must be good. I won’t touch hot sauce if my life depended on it, although that would be ONE way to clean out my sinuses, I guess. And wouldn't cost as much as surgery.

Soon, it was time to head on the bus and leave for our next stop, the perfumery.

Goodbye, rum. Goodbye, rum in my tum. It was yum!

My view: this stop was exactly as promised, if I’d bothered to read the fine print on the excursion…and actually, I found it charming. It reminded me a LOT of when our family stopped at the roadside stand in Santorini, Greece, this summer…at Anna’s, coincidentally. Some times, the best food and drink samples come from the little hole-in-the-wall places, and NOT the 10,000-square foot factories. Just my opinion, mind you!

Since you took shadow photo - just wondering if the ground was covered in sea glass? I started collecting it recently on cruises and it had me wondering.

I was under pressure.

And I was sticky.

And I had rum on my pants.

And I was a tad bit...tipsy.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

(When I was growing up, there was a chocolate cereal called "Count Chocula" - with a vampire on the box...and a strawberry cereal called, "Frankenberry" - with a Frankenstein monster on the box...I keep thinking I took those two cereals and blended them together for the name of my perfume.)

I dream in food.

you forgot Booberry. I think it was blue ghost.