Review of Valor 5/29/2005

caviargal

Sorry to hear you also had a bad experience. Many of my fellow cruisers mentioned that they had taken several Carnival cruises and this was worst than any of the others. We picked Carnival for the ports of call and also since it was a new ship.

dms_cruisers04

We did cave tubing with X-Steam. It was a great experience. I would recommend them. Dennis and Richard take good care of you.

We didn't do anything else in Belize. There really isn't enough time. It took us 2 hours to get off the ship. Our tour was supposed to start at 8:30am. But since we didn't get there until 10:30am we lost 2 hours. Thank goodness they waited for us. There were several other couples on the ship that were taking the same excursion. Dennis drove us about 35 minutes to our starting point. We then hiked with out tubes, headlights, and lifejackets into the rain forest about 40 minutes. (easy hike, just hot and humid, but well worth it). Jumped in the refreshing water and tube into two caves. Great fun. At the end we had lunch for 5 dollars a person. Food was great. I would do it again.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/CaveTubingBelize.htm

We did Eastern caribbean and also had at least 3 hour waits to get off the ship in St. Thomas, some people waited 4 hours. I think everyone is experiencing this lately, I don't know why they can't do something to expedite the process, you waste half your port day.:mad:

I was in St. Thomas 5/24/05 and got in line for customs as 8:30 and was off the boat by 9:15.

dms_cruisers04

We did cave tubing with X-Steam. It was a great experience. I would recommend them. Dennis and Richard take good care of you.

We didn't do anything else in Belize. There really isn't enough time. It took us 2 hours to get off the ship. Our tour was supposed to start at 8:30am. But since we didn't get there until 10:30am we lost 2 hours. Thank goodness they waited for us. There were several other couples on the ship that were taking the same excursion. Dennis drove us about 35 minutes to our starting point. We then hiked with out tubes, headlights, and lifejackets into the rain forest about 40 minutes. (easy hike, just hot and humid, but well worth it). Jumped in the refreshing water and tube into two caves. Great fun. At the end we had lunch for 5 dollars a person. Food was great. I would do it again.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/CaveTubingBelize.htm

Thanks I'll mention that to her. Sorry you didn't get more time to look around.

I don't really want to watch untalented pax doing a talent show.
I have to say I must be very lucky. Every Carnival cruise I've been on we really looked forward to the talent show. On our first cruise there was a young man who performed his own work. He sang and played the guitar. He was PHENOMENAL and received a standing ovation. On our last Carnival cruise a father and son performed. The father played guitar while his son sang. WONDERFUL performance.

Now - has every performance been that wonderful - no. But I have never said the passengers were untalented. I'm sure some have run into that - but I think for the most part with as many passengers on board I'm sure there is enough good talent to fill the spots.

Many cruise lines and ships use their life boats as tenders......it is not illegal and it greatly increases the efficiency of the tendering process.

As for the check in experience with Carnival.....it is the worst! Line after line after line..........it can and should be greatly streamlined. Princess is by far the best at embarkation - you do everything at one station and then you board. No seperate lines for fun pass, sign and sail cards, etc.

Many cruise lines and ships use their life boats as tenders......it is not illegal and it greatly increases the efficiency of the tendering process.

As for the check in experience with Carnival.....it is the worst! Line after line after line..........it can and should be greatly streamlined. Princess is by far the best at embarkation - you do everything at one station and then you board. No seperate lines for fun pass, sign and sail cards, etc.

You're talking about Miami too, right?

I've been out of Tampa and San Juan (most recently) with Carnival and neither had longer than normal lines. The lines for Disney, out of Port Canaveral, weren't any longer then expected and when we went out of Port Canaveral with RCI in April the line was actually very short (we arrived around 1).

Well, perhaps there's a litigious reason for them not using their lifeboats....?
I always thought that it was up to the Port Authority at each port of call as to whether or not a cruiseline was allowed to use their own tendering transportation.

And I suppose it would be up to the Captain as well. Look at how often the ships run lifeboat drills for the crew when a ship is in port.

Where's Derf? I'm sure he can find something legitimate. :D

vacationaddict - Was it the Sante Wellness Centre you visited in Roatan Island, Honduras? I think you referred to a place called "Sante Fe Wellness Center."

Either the case may be, how did you like your time spent at the center? Thanks in advance for any & all info you can provide regarding your center visit.

It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your cruise to the fullest, but I do understand your reasons. I wish you & yours many happy voyages in the future with whatever cruiseline(s) you choose!

Happy sailing,

T.

I was in St. Thomas 5/24/05 and got in line for customs as 8:30 and was off the boat by 9:15.

Only people with Carnival booked excursions got off at 9:30 (the earliest group). They were called first. Some floors were not able to get off the ship until 1:00 pm. The fact that Carnival conquest class in St. Thomas has notoriously late debarkation is common knowledge.

Only people with Carnival booked excursions got off at 9:30 (the earliest group). They were called first. Some floors were not able to get off the ship until 1:00 pm. The fact that Carnival conquest class in St. Thomas has notoriously late debarkation is common knowledge.

This would be a good reason to book Carnival excursions you may pay more but at least youll make it to you excursion on time.What a mess!

Well I have been on 3 Carribean cruises with my family of 15 but never have had this problem with this. :) . But if I did have to wait until 1:00 P.M., I would be very upset!!! :mad:

This would be a good reason to book Carnival excursions you may pay more but at least youll make it to you excursion on time.What a mess!

True, but we don't normally do excursions. We were actually meeting up with friends who were on the Zuiderdam that day, and ended up missing them.

We didn't sign up, hear of, nor were we asked by ANYONE which/if any excursions we were booked on. We got in line at 8:30, were asked for our passport, got our sticker and were off the boat by 9:15, as I previously stated. Are you going to try to argue with me about where I was at what time on my vacation? There were no "floors called" that I heard of at any time. Common knowledge or not, I had no problem with it. Where were you told that you had to wait?

Are you going to try to argue with me about where I was at what time on my vacation? There were no "floors called" that I heard of at any time. Common knowledge or not, I had no problem with it. Where were you told that you had to wait?

No, I'm not trying to argue. Congratulations on your ability to disembark at a reasonable hour, but if you pay attention to any recent eastern caribbean reviews on conquest class ships, you'll notice that this has been an ongoing problem recently.

I don't know when you cruised last, but I assure you, if you were on the Glory within the last few months, you needed a prayer to get off that ship before noon. Well, a prayer or proof that you had an early excursion.

They called passengers first with ticketed Carnival excursions, then they called people by floors, one floor every half hour or so.

I'm not the only one on this board who experienced this, even those who love Carnival can attest to it.

I am not certain about any laws against lifeboats tenders but when with RCCL last January, we had to wait on special tender and did not use lifeboats. I saw the next ship to us using thier lifeboats. I think it was NCL. So I guess the cruise lines are not even consistant about use of lifeboats.

I am not certain about any laws against lifeboats tenders but when with RCCL last January, we had to wait on special tender and did not use lifeboats. I saw the next ship to us using thier lifeboats. I think it was NCL. So I guess the cruise lines are not even consistant about use of lifeboats.
Thats just scarey sounding.It just seems that they should use those incase of a emergengy!!:confused:

Many cruise lines use the life boats for tender services. HAL is one that has done it for years. Nothing against the maritime laws at all.

Review of the Carnival Valor May 29, 2005

Ports of Call: Beize, Hondorus, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Thanks for posting your review. Sorry that some things did not meet your expectations. I like that you gave both the good and bad. Hope your next cruise is better.

Archived