Review of Valor 5/29/2005

To the poster who asked me about my bad Carnival embarkation experience and asked if it was in Miami....it was not; it was in Fort Lauderdale (Carnival Legend 1/03).

To those who think embarkation isn't bad on Carnival have never cruised on another line like Princess which has embarkation down to a science! And unless there are computer malfunctions or other problems, Princess embarkation is a breeze. No need for two or three seperate lines.

I am cruising on the Carnival Liberty this upcoming February......I sure hope Carnival smooths things out with their embarkation before then!

I would have to agree- I was not prepared for Carnival Embarkation, mine was in Miami-it was packed and no air 2 hours from one line to the next! Princess was totally opposite-walked right up in 1 line waited a few minutes and was on the ship in no time at all. Sandy

Look at this way, some on here are mature enough to be able to read your review with an open mind and understand that this is your thoughts and observations as to what happened on your vacation. Then you have the ones that are the exact opposite. They pop up each and every time a person posts a negative review or post about a cruise line. Most are ones that have never ventured away from one line so that know nothing about the other offerings out there from cruise lines. There are some on every board. There is always five or so on the Carnival board. They never let me down.:) Again, thanks for posting your thoughts and hopefully your next cruise will be better.

Amen Brother (or is it Sister?)

To the poster who asked me about my bad Carnival embarkation experience and asked if it was in Miami....it was not; it was in Fort Lauderdale (Carnival Legend 1/03).

To those who think embarkation isn't bad on Carnival have never cruised on another line like Princess which has embarkation down to a science! And unless there are computer malfunctions or other problems, Princess embarkation is a breeze. No need for two or three seperate lines.

I am cruising on the Carnival Liberty this upcoming February......I sure hope Carnival smooths things out with their embarkation before then!

\

My Glory embarkation in PC was the worst in my cruising history. It does seem to be unique to Carnival at least IME.

Four lines, 1.5 hours and that was after waiting a half hour to drive up and drop off luggage!

\

My Glory embarkation in PC was the worst in my cruising history. It does seem to be unique to Carnival at least IME.

Four lines, 1.5 hours and that was after waiting a half hour to drive up and drop off luggage!

Our first cruise on the Imagination we arrived at the Pier between 2 and 2:30 and basically moved through the whole process at a steady walk. Never a line anywhere.

On our Glory cruise we basically ran through the whole process without stopping, but that was because (thanks to Mears) we didn't arrive until 3:40. Not recommended by the way.

Oh, and incendentaly, I'm the type of guy who always manages to pick the slowest line at the supermarket :rolleyes:

Our first cruise on the Imagination we arrived at the Pier between 2 and 2:30 and basically moved through the whole process at a steady walk. Never a line anywhere.

On our Glory cruise we basically ran through the whole process without stopping, but that was because (thanks to Mears) we didn't arrive until 3:40. Not recommended by the way.

Oh, and incendentaly, I'm the type of guy who always manages to pick the slowest line at the supermarket :rolleyes:

Wow, you cut it close! I am one of those who is always early!

I actually had priority embarkation as I had a meeting aboard at 1pm. So much for expedited boarding! I made it by 1:10pm; pulled into the luggage drop off lane at 11:15.

Wow, you cut it close! I am one of those who is always early!

I actually had priority embarkation as I had a meeting aboard at 1pm. So much for expedited boarding! I made it by 1:10pm; pulled into the luggage drop off lane at 11:15.

One of the problems of flying in the day of the cruise.

We sat at MCO for over an hour waiting for a shuttle because Mears had "Run out". The plus was we didn't have to wait for the "Welcome aboard" photo because everyone had run off to get ready for Muster Drill.

Look at this way, some on here are mature enough to be able to read your review with an open mind and understand that this is your thoughts and observations as to what happened on your vacation. Then you have the ones that are the exact opposite. They pop up each and every time a person posts a negative review or post about a cruise line.

While others seem to have to want to always speak in lieu of the OP. You do as much defending of the OP opinions of how their cruises went than the people who come on here and defend the line.

However, I find it amusing in a few cases ( in my May 22 sailing board) when people respond that they were at the pier by 10 or 11 in the morning and did not have a real problem...I find this amusing because not everyone can fly into Miami and get to the pier that early. In addition, Carnival tells you in their brochure that embarkation commences at 1 or 130. The suggestion that some people have to fly in a day ahead of the cruise and stay at a hotel to make emabrakation easier makes no sense...you are going to pay thousands of dollars to sail on the Valor and then pay 3 or 4 hundred extra just to have an easy embarkation?

How amusing would you find it if you had airline tickets the day of the sailing and the flight was cancelled,diverted, not a direct flight and had to layover in Chicago or Denver in the winter, mechanical problems...etc.....The reason for flying in a day early isn't about easy embarkation....it's about peace of mind knowing that because you spent "thousands?" of dollars on a cruise that you are there a day early, close to the pier. Plan for the worst...hope for the best.

How amusing would you find it if you had airline tickets the day of the sailing and the flight was cancelled,diverted, not a direct flight and had to layover in Chicago or Denver in the winter, mechanical problems...etc.....The reason for flying in a day early isn't about easy embarkation....it's about peace of mind knowing that because you spent "thousands?" of dollars on a cruise that you are there a day early, close to the pier. Plan for the worst...hope for the best.

I completely agree with you, BBiles. Last cruise was the first time we flew in the day before and I was really glad we did. It was December flying in from Minnesota, so you never know what the weather will do and I'd HATE to have to catch up to the ship at the first port! :eek: :( We hadn't flown in early before because our cruises had been in May or June so we didn't anticipate any weather problems. However, I've had A LOT of flight delays/cancellations since then (flying for non-cruise related reasons) so I would be wary of flying in the day of from now on.

While others seem to have to want to always speak in lieu of the OP. You do as much defending of the OP opinions of how their cruises went than the people who come on here and defend the line.
Brian, as much as I think Gordon is usually just making sure our "cheerleader" opinions aren't actually being taken seriously, in this once instance ... I can't believe I'm gonna say this ... gulp ... I agree with him. :o

There was a little unnecessary flamethrowingsmiley.gif at the beginning.

But you're right. Sometimes the cheerleader police are a little over-the-top in their zest to be sure an opposing opinion is heard.

Priority was given to passengers who purchased to shore excursions through the ship. I’m not sure why Carnival doesn’t use their own lifeboats for tendering. All there were two local boats tendering passengers. Our tender was not even half full when it pulled away from the ship.

All in all this was the worst cruise I have taken and would never sail Carnival again nor would I recommend it to any of my friends or relatives.

1. There is a small sign in the terminal that says "Funpass this way" either due to the crowd you missed it or they failed to put it up. Thats the way you go, you dont have to wait in long lines, We alway go straight through after running our carry ons through security and the xray machines.:confused:

2. Thats correct, if you book your own excursions youre on your own. Priority Tendering are for those that booked with Carnival excursions. Next time book thru Carnival, Talk about Cheap out LOL:D

3. As far as calling a Talent Show (cheap out) thats pretty sad, I think that the Talent shows whether they show it on day One or on the last day are the coolest of all shows, I love watching the Talents of other people. I think thats so cool.

4. I have to agree with you on the Bar Service during dinner times, it could take alittle longer then 15 minutes just to get soda.

5. Sorry you had a nightmare of a cruise, We will be sailing on the Valor this March, Hoping the experience will be different for us.

You have it wrong there. I am defending people who want to come to this board and give A review of THEIR cruise of which you and many others here were not on. How hard is that for you to understand? Do I need to type a little s-l-o-w-e-r for you?

People should be able to give their opinions good or bad and not feel as if they are being chatised for not posting a raving review of a cruise line. Some people will accept anything thrown their way. That is obvious from reading comments on this very board. Others have certain expectations. When those expectations are not met then they have a right to air their comments. Yes, others have a right to give their opinions on a posters review but how about doing it in a mature way in place of basically calling someone a whiner or liar?

I am defending people who want to come to this board and give A review of THEIR cruise of which you and many others here were not on.

And neither were Y-O-U.....so let the OP speak for themself.

Mark,

Do you have the address of the president of Carnival. I will send them my letter also.

Mark here is the address:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Attn: Guest Relations

3566 NW 87th Ave.

Miami, FL 33178-2428

Where's Derf? I'm sure he can find something legitimate. :D

At first I tought the lifeboats were always used but I found out not always. I thought it was a good idea because of the training aspects. May to help out the local economy. Pressure.

I think this is an illegitimate answer.

At first I tought the lifeboats were always used but I found out not always. I thought it was a good idea because of the training aspects. May to help out the local economy. Pressure.

I think this is an illegitimate answer.

But you tried. You're still my hero. :rolleyes: :D

For your info...(not that it is any of your business at all) . Y can't I like and defend carnival??? :confused:

Because you can't argue with someone's opinion. She didn't like her experience on Carnival, you did. I'm sure when you write that you absolutely loved everything about your Carnival cruise no one would say, in contrast to your accusation that she can't be satisfied, that you have absolutely no standards and no expectations, would they?

Because you can't argue with someone's opinion. She didn't like her experience on Carnival, you did. I'm sure when you write that you absolutely loved everything about your Carnival cruise no one would say, in contrast to your accusation that she can't be satisfied, that you have absolutely no standards and no expectations, would they?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..... :rolleyes:

You consistantly belittle and argue people's positive opinion about Carnival with a negative comment. If you're going to cast stones, make sure you're without sin first, shall we..?

Carnival is not perfect, I've said so myself many times in the past. However, for the most part, they do a damn good job. I've never had a bad cruise, though I've had a fair one. And certainly not so bad that I would post complaints about it and nitpick. (Though I do have some major complaints where breakfast is concerned......)

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..... :rolleyes:

You consistantly belittle and argue people's positive opinion about Carnival with a negative comment.

No I don't. I only post my opinions and facts of my cruise. I never argued with anyone on whether they think Carnival is the greatest, in fact, I've acknowledged time and time again that Carnival appeals to a great many people and is a good, solid company.

Just because it wouldn't be by first choice doesn't mean it isn't someone else's. Many people's in fact, just not mine.

No I don't. I only post my opinions and facts of my cruise. I never argued with anyone on whether they think Carnival is the greatest, in fact, I've acknowledged time and time again that Carnival appeals to a great many people and is a good, solid company.

Just because it wouldn't be by first choice doesn't mean it isn't someone else's. Many people's in fact, just not mine.

Then what's the point of singling out part of a three day old conversation that you weren't even a part of originally?

It never ceases to amaze me that when someone has a "bad" cruise it seems everything went wrong. If the tendering situation is bad that bleeds over into the food, the entertainment and most everything else. I will never cruise with Carnival again!!!! I have had 5 Carnival cruises thus far and would like to try a different line just for a comparison/change. I have had no experiences on Carnival that would make me never cruise Carnival again. I find it also interesting that two different people can go on the same cruise and have totally different experiences, which I guess reconfirms what we have said on this board so many times - a cruise is what YOU make it. If you want to be miserable and find fault with everything - you will. If you want to have a good time - you will (barring unforecatsed hurricanes, giant sea monsters etc). I am sorry the poster didn't have a good time (assuming they are not just trying to get a fight started) (we've seen that too). But in the end - while I have not been on those other cruise lines I have talked to lots of folks who have and I have visited their boards and the same problems and questions come up across the board. Most and I said most not ALL, cruise lines appear to be very similar. And before you jump - yes I know there are differences but my pont is NONE OF THEM ARE PERFECT and if you want to be miserable and Bit__ about everything - go ahead on. We all need to take these comments in stride and file them under - potential issues and go on. I (IMO) find it most difficult to accept that all of that was wrong on one cruise. Bet ya we can find another report from the same cruise that raves about it. Nuff said.

It's obvoius that there were many CCers on this cruise, wouldn't it be constructive for those planning on commenting here later to get together the last day/night of a cruise and compare notes and develop a consolidated & agreed to review? Instead of battling it out here. It would carry a lot more weight, everybody could talk their personal ups and downs and the review would be more balanced and not (as always) turn into a snip fest. Every one of these type threads end up with comments like; I have a right to my opinion, I'm not talking to you, you have no right to say that, you weren't there, you just like to be-little, shame on you, its on record that you don't like carnival, that's not want I meant, you don't know me, pot calling the kettle black, etc.?

In an ideal world, that would be perfect. Unfortunately, as someone has mentioned previously, a cruise is what YOU make of it. A damn good example is when my wife and I were on Conquest with out best friends. They loved the ship, I thought it was very nice, my wife really took a dislike to it. We all agreed the service was impeccable, but we all had differing opinions about the food. We also had differing experiences in terms of disembarking (they had an early flight, we took the train), but experienced the exact same rude attitude by the port authority people during embarkation.

Between the 4 of us, you would have thought we all traveled on a totally different ship at different times. BUT the overall sentiment was that it was a very good and fun vacation, despite some of the problems or dislikes.

Embarkation: We arrived at the Miami pier at approximately 1:30pm. There were already long lines. We lined up in a warehouse and waited for about 1:30 hours before we got on the ship. There is no air conditioning so if you are traveling with seniors or children it can become very uncomfortable very quickly. We had filled out our paperwork online before arriving and had our Fun pass completed. The cruise line told me that there would be a special line to get it if the pass was completed. There is no such line. After waiting in line for 1 ½ hours were instructed to go to another line (another 1 hour wasted) to pick up our keys to our room. Not sure why we couldn’t get our keys in the first line. Very disorganized.

Let me ask you or others:

If you waited until after 1:30 to board the ship, would there still be long lines?

If not, why does everyone flock to the ship before they let you on? What is the reasoning to wait in line for hours to get on?

Archived