progressive embarkation

ang144

Are people following the request for boarding certain times by deck? We have a tour on the way to the ship and would have to cut it short to make our 1300 board time. What happens if you show up after the time?

Where, when, what ship???

You can arrive/board whenever you want after boarding starts, usually around Noon.

Princess puts out suggested arrival/boarding times, we have not seen this adhered to at all.

Need to be aboard at least 90 minutes before sailing.

Most ignore it. It is unreasonable to expect some passengers to arrive at noon, board, have lunch, and explore the ship and have another group arrive at 3 PM, not have lunch and barely have time to drop your stuff and rush to muster. We were given a 3 PM time in Southampton but we arrived at 11 and were on board before noon. I understand that last summer in San Francisco passengers were stopped at the door because they don't have the facilities to permit everyone to enter at the same time.

Most ignore it. It is unreasonable to expect some passengers to arrive at noon, board, have lunch, and explore the ship and have another group arrive at 3 PM, not have lunch and barely have time to drop your stuff and rush to muster. We were given a 3 PM time in Southampton but we arrived at 11 and were on board before noon. I understand that last summer in San Francisco passengers were stopped at the door because they don't have the facilities to permit everyone to enter at the same time.

I was one of those. I had a 11:30 check in time. Showed up at 10:00 to drop off my luggage (and maybe walk around). They told me to come back. When I did, they didn't bother to ask what time I was suppose to be there.

On the other hand...Platinum and Elite were sort of bummed that there was no special area for them. I can understand they being upset. But San Francisco really doesn't have the capabilities as they do in other ports. And with the big fire they had last summer, not sure what their situation is now.

Renee

Are people following the request for boarding certain times by deck? We have a tour on the way to the ship and would have to cut it short to make our 1300 board time. What happens if you show up after the time?

As long as you're there by about an hour and a half before sailing, you'll be fine.

Pam realized you want to board later, not earlier.

She is correct in her answer.

I was one of those. I had a 11:30 check in time. Showed up at 10:00 to drop off my luggage (and maybe walk around). They told me to come back. When I did, they didn't bother to ask what time I was suppose to be there.

On the other hand...Platinum and Elite were sort of bummed that there was no special area for them. I can understand they being upset. But San Francisco really doesn't have the capabilities as they do in other ports. And with the big fire they had last summer, not sure what their situation is now.

Hmmm...

AFAIK, not being allowed into a pier that early is certainly not unique to SFO. In December, there was indeed a "special area" for Platinum and Elite, though it was decidedly unspecial. And the fire wrecked Pier 29, which was not a cruise ship pier, but an empty warehouse.

Just sayin.'

Archived