Reflection and the Alcoves

BigDaddy2002

Nice that you felt the Alcoves were worth it for you, but I will stand by my original reaction....they are ugly and block both the view and access to the Lawn.

I disagree that the ropes don't restrict access....how many people feel welcome to jump over the ropes and use the lawn area that has been blocked off. If Celebrity can't find a way to keep the lawn maintained without roping it off so much, what's the point of it?? Oh yes, I forgot it was for those who paid for the Alcoves to enjoy only.

Celebrity had no problem allowing a private party to use the lawn for a wedding party on our cruise. :(

Librarylady19 is so right on all counts. They are ugly and overpriced. Deck space is at a premium on the Reflection. Just got off the Reflection on 2/9/13 and on Sea Days they were all rented. On Port Days, all were empty. We were told we could not go on the lawn???

catalina56

Whether or not you could go on the lawn has nothing to do with the Alcoves. They had the lawn closed for a few days when we were on the Equinox which doesn't have Alcoves:rolleyes: Maybe it was something to do with the Glass Blowing:D Sometimes they have to do maintenance on the grass.

I did not post my opinion on here to start a verbal attack at other people's opinions....to each their own.... If we all agreed on every little detail and option in our lives... the world would be a pretty boring place. For me and my family....they were perfect and what we were looking for to add enjoyment to our vacation. On our trip, they were completely booked with a wait list, both port and sea days. As for the price.... our tour on San Juan cost 99.00 each and lasted 2 hours...... our days with the Alcoves were either 99.00/147.00 for the use of the Alcove (not per person), and brought us peace and quiet and what we considered a beautiful place to relax and enjoy family time.

And just so those that are interested know, you do not ever have to hop over yellow ropes....if you walk along the sides of the Alcoves which is a standard deck path, there are many openings between the Alcoves for anyone to enter the lawn area.

So this is my opinion......it is here because I was responding to a post requesting that I share my opinion when we returned from our vacation....

Happy Travels to all......

I respect your opinion and I'm glad you found value in the Alcoves. On our sailing, the lawn was closed off most of the time.

This does not invite one to find a way onto the lawn.

I understand that the grass gets worn out...however, if the Alcoves went there, we could at least look at the lawn.

P1010334.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Does anybody know if they will let you put the top down? What's the dress code?:confused: Has anyone seen a bathing suit in one of these?

Yes, you can ask them to put the top down, and yes you can wear bathing suits in them; we did. Our group of 8 had 2 and sometimes we'd have one top up and one top down so those that wanted shade could sit in it and those who wanted sun could have it.

Librarylady19 is so right on all counts. They are ugly and overpriced. Deck space is at a premium on the Reflection. Just got off the Reflection on 2/9/13 and on Sea Days they were all rented. On Port Days, all were empty. We were told we could not go on the lawn???

catalina56

On our cruise they were sold out on all days. And as someone said, if the lawn was closed, it had nothing to do with the alcoves; it was because the lawn needed maintenance or something. :rolleyes:

I respect your opinion and I'm glad you found value in the Alcoves. On our sailing, the lawn was closed off most of the time.

This does not invite one to find a way onto the lawn.

I understand that the grass gets worn out...however, if the Alcoves went there, we could at least look at the lawn.

P1010334.jpg

You obviously found a way to look at the lawn, because you took a picture of it, so still don't understand your argument. :confused: And again, if the lawn was closed, IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THE ALCOVES. It's because the grass was undergoing some kind of maintenance.

As to the poster who said they aren't worth the money, maybe they aren't worth it to some pax, but obviously they ARE worth it to Celebrity, as they are often sold out. Just because someone isn't sitting in one when you walk by doesn't mean it isn't rented. We came and went from ours throughout the day.

Edited by waterbug123

I think the Alcoves look like an interesting idea. Honestly, we really didn't give them much thought on the Reflection. We didn't give the grass much thought either. I'm not really sure why having grass is a big deal either way, but maybe because that is due to the fact that I have to cut so much of it 8-9 months out of the year.

I will say that after reading this, I'm really hoping the Reflection will be sailing where we want to go in summer 2014 and winter 2015. We have tentative plans in mind, and if Reflection fits into those plans, we will probably book an Alcove for the whole trip we want to take in the Med, even with all the ports. With a decent sized group, an alcove might be really nice as a home base kind of place!

My only concern is the ban on bringing food from Oceanview or the Mast Grill to the Alcove. That one doesn't make sense to me. The picnic baskets they offer just don't sound that good to me.

Edited by Algebralovr

Re the quote.....

My only concern is the ban on bringing food from Oceanview or the Mast Grill to the Alcove. That one doesn't make sense to me. The picnic baskets they offer just don't sound that good to me.

****There is no problem bringing food in from anywhere on the ship....in fact our server for the Alcove suggested that on our first day we booked..... Mast Grill or the Ocean View Cafe....we also brought some lunch over from the Porch too, which is really close by.

:)

****There is no problem bringing food in from anywhere on the ship....in fact our server for the Alcove suggested that on our first day we booked..... Mast Grill or the Ocean View Cafe....we also brought some lunch over from the Porch too, which is really close by.

:)

Ours made the same suggestion, and several times we brought food into the alcove with us from the Mast Grill, or sandwiches from the buffet. The oddity we found was that at The Porch, they told us we couldn't take the food to go. Not that we couldn't take it into the Alcoves, but that we couldn't leave The Porch with it period. They never could explain that one to us, and a couple of times a member of our group broke that "rule" and took a panini out anyway. :eek:

We also had our suite butler deliver some canapes to us in the Alcove one day as well. He was a little reluctant until we assured him that the LCG staff/alcove attendant had told us it was fine to bring food in from elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
We have rented the cabanas on the Eurodam for the cruise (a week). Can you rent for the whole week on Celeb? If so how much? Has anyone done both and how does it compare?

Sure,:) Take all of your port days at $99 per day plus your sea days at $149 per day, then total them and subtract 20% for renting them for the entire cruise. It can get a bit pricy :rolleyes: However I have heard of savvy friends/groups sharing the cost for the week :D

Edited by Doupa22

I've yet to personally experience the Alcoves, so could be wrong, but I believe the idea is that you're not to bring food from a restaurant that has a per person cover charge out of that restaurant - whether to the Alcoves, or anywhere else.

Mary

Just got off the Reflection and had an Alcove for the day. Yes you can bring food to the Alcove from any restaurant that allows carry out- the buffets, grills and the coffee cafe . In addition, when you rent the Alcove, the butler brings you fruit and cheese platter gratis. You are also close to a great bar and can also bring drinks with you.

We truly enjoyed the experience. However, we rented for a port day and that worked out to be the best. If you rent on a sea day and it is windy, the butler cannot open the clam shell protective awning, so you bake in the hot windy sun. For those who do not want to bake in the sun, I do not recommend sea days- Many people who did rent the Alcoves on the sea days didn't use them-

Initially we thought that the sea days would be the best but we were wrong! The cost for sea days is $150 per alcove- vs. $100. for port days. We have been to the ports so many times, that if we miss one and enjoy the ship for most of the day- it works out best.

ohhh....so if it's windy, they keep the canopy DOWN? huh.

part of the reason to rent it is the shade....

Unless you're us.:) My wife and I love the sun! :D but we dislike pool chair saving games :) There is a lot more shade seating on these s-class ships than there is sun seating.:rolleyes:

However I can see where people will like these shady cabana retreats as well. :D I say canopy tops down. I get enough shade in my office ;)

Edited by Doupa22

ohhh....so if it's windy, they keep the canopy DOWN? huh.

part of the reason to rent it is the shade....

When it is windy the canopy is rolled up and you are totally exposed to the sun The adult pool is quiet with shade Also some filtered sun protecting you from harmful sun rays. As long as you get a chaise before 10 am sea days a great and free sea day option.

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 1 month later...

When renting an Alcove, can you have your children with you? One post seemed to imply kids were not allowed, however, I cannot find this in writing in the website and I have reserved the full week of Alcove for myself, grandmother and daughter. Awkward if daughter cannot join.

When renting an Alcove, can you have your children with you? One post seemed to imply kids were not allowed, however, I cannot find this in writing in the website and I have reserved the full week of Alcove for myself, grandmother and daughter. Awkward if daughter cannot join.

Interesting question. I don't recall reading or hearing anything specific that says they are adults-only, but on our cruise I honestly don't remember seeing any children in them, but children are certainly allowed on the lawn itself, so I don't know. My personal opinion is that that I view the alcoves as I do the solarium.... an area designed for adults to get away to a quieter, more peaceful area than the main pool deck. If someone had a child in one and that child was just reading a book or doing some other quiet activity, it wouldn't bother me. But if there were children in them who were being loud and obnoxious, I would be somewhat annoyed.

When I was recently on the Reflection, we had an alcove and a couple with a young child also had one. So I "assume" children are welcome. The child was we behaved and it wasn't any problem.

As far as the "policy" not sure if they have one.

I don't think there is an age requirement. I booked & I have my teens in the room with me, I also booked drink packages on the same call. So I would think she would have told me if there was an age limit.

As for loud & obnoxious, adults can be the same way, which would annoy me just as much.

Yes, children are allowed. We had an alcove for 5 or 6 days last month and our son was always made to feel welcome by the staff.