Travel Authorization for Children

garydm

We will be cruising to Alaska with our two grandchildren in May. There does not appear to be any definitive statement as to the requirements for an authorization letter from the parents either on the HAL site, the CBP site, or the referenced State Department site. To make sure we do not have an issue, we would like to have a letter or form with us. Anyone know of a form HAL or some governmetal entity might have that we could use as a model? Thanks.

Gary

The following form was designated for one parent taking children but I am sure it can be adapted for grandparents.

Consent for International Travel with One Legal Guardian

I, <Non custodial parent name>, MAKE OATH AND SAY, that I am the non-custodial parent / <Father or Mother> of:

1. Child’s name born on <birthdate> in <city, state>. USA

2. Child’s name born on <birthdate> in <city, state>. USA

My children, <insert child’s names here>, have my consent to travel with the custodial parent / <Mother/Father>, <CUSTODIAL PARENT NAME> of <city, state of residence>, USA and other family members (insert any other family members here) to visit <locations here> destinations via a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship. Both children currently have United States passports necessary for international travel issued by the U.S. Dept. of State with my previous permission. The above noted family members have permission to authorize medical care and provide supervision of their activities.

My children will be leaving the United States of America from <insert departure date, and departure location> and returning to the United States of America, via cruise ship, on or around <insert date>. Other stops on the cruise itinerary will include locations in the <insert cruise itinerary here> and include but are not limited to: <insert all locations on the itinerary>.

Any questions regarding this consent can be directed to me at:

<Non custodial parent name>

<address>

Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

SWORN BEFORE ME at the city of )

____________________ in the State of )

<insert state name>, County of <xxxxxx>, )

this_______________________

day of __________, 2013. )

)

)

_________________________________ )

A NOTARY PUBLIC in and for the State )

Of __________________, County of )

________________. My commission )

expires on: __________________.

In addition to the authorization for travel, be certain to have an authorization to seek and approve medical care should one of the children become ill or injured. Bring their insurance cards, if they have one.

When we travelled I always had my ex sign and have notorized a statement saying he gave me permission to cruise on the ship (specified ship name and dates) visiting (all cities/ports listed). I also carried a copy of our custody order.

When friends of my son's would travel with us I would have a paragraph added that I was allowed to seek medical attention for the child.

Always took the paperwork with us on shore excursions etc. Never needed it even boarding the ship - but better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.

We sailed with grandchildren last May, and you absolutely DO need a form similar to what Sail has posted here. The HAL agent at the registration counter checked that form very closely - and also called over a supervisor to double check it. We would not have been permitted to board without it. Be certain BOTH parents sign, and the notarization is complete. I love that HAL doesn't mess around with this stuff - they take it very seriously.

If there are air flights involved, it would be good to insert airline, date, airports but insert language authorizing change of itinerary in the event of flight cancellation, delay necessitating change of air travel plans.

IMO

Archived