So we did it all backwards - where to from here?

DmnDva

Yep, we did our first cruise on RCCL's Allure of the Seas. Now we want to plan another cruise, and our expectations have been left really high.

My husband and I are in our mid-30's and want to cruise as a couple this time, we took our 4 daughters on the Allure and had an AquaTheater suite.

We would love to do a European cruise this time so we're looking for a quality ship, guests around our age and amazing shore excursions, shopping isn't a priority. Not asking too much am I?

What would you recommend?

I think the European cruises may have a pretty wide age range, but it will depend on the time of year you are going. And for Europe, I'd recommend doing research on the different ports to figure out which ones you want for sure and narrow your choices by starting there. Since you like RCCL, you may give extra weight to their larger ships, but also keep in mind that you won't spend near the time on board the ship on a European cruise as you did in the Caribbean.

You need to go by the ports, how long you are in each port and whether your port day is on a day things are closed. Check carefully. You will not care so much about the ship. In fact a smaller ship would help avoid wasting time in long lines. Also some small ships can go to places larger ones can't, or they can dock at a pier avoiding tendering in.

I think that is about as good as it gets.

I know, it's set my expectations pretty high LOL!

I think the European cruises may have a pretty wide age range, but it will depend on the time of year you are going. And for Europe, I'd recommend doing research on the different ports to figure out which ones you want for sure and narrow your choices by starting there. Since you like RCCL, you may give extra weight to their larger ships, but also keep in mind that you won't spend near the time on board the ship on a European cruise as you did in the Caribbean.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the amount of time spent on the ship, that will help a lot! As for deciding on which ports - that's the hard part LOL. I'd somewhat hoped that the cruise line or particular ship recommendations might help us narrow the field. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Thank you all for your help.

You don't need to take cruise line shore excursions in most port cities in Europe.

We were at the Acropolis one day and there were a bunch of shore excursions there. 50 people with one guide per group, no one could hear the guide, everyone was jockeying for position with a dozen or more groups from at least three large ships there at once and all with very limited time, it was a zoo. My husband and I looked at each other and said, "I'm so glad we aren't on one of those excursions, what a mess."

My husband and I DIY'ed it and spent $12 total using public transit to see the same things that cruise lines offer on an Oia and Satorini Island tours that they charge $70-100 per person for. We were able to explore what interested us, skip what didn't, and had time for a lunch with Wi-Fi back in Fira before getting back on the ship.

Archived