OK, all New Yorkers....need your help!!

KPfromCT

What can you tell me about MacArthur Airport on Long Island? ( ISP )

Why are the fares SO cheap on Southwest? And why are there still flights available for peak weeks at $119 each way to FL? There's gotta be a reason...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Decent airport? It would be a 2.5 hour drive from CT, but at a savings of $2200. Seems worth it to me.:D

What can you tell me about MacArthur Airport on Long Island? ( ISP )

Why are the fares SO cheap on Southwest? And why are there still flights available for peak weeks at $119 each way to FL? There's gotta be a reason...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Decent airport? It would be a 2.5 hour drive from CT, but at a savings of $2200. Seems worth it to me.:D

It's an awesome airport! Very small, only a few airlines fly in there. No long walk with luggae to baggage claim. We're actually flying out of there in April for our cruise out of Tampa. I have no idea why SW is so cheap..I've never had a problem with them. If you're driving in, they have long term parking very close to the terminal.

Anyone else?

It's an awesome airport! Very small, only a few airlines fly in there. No long walk with luggae to baggage claim. We're actually flying out of there in April for our cruise out of Tampa. I have no idea why SW is so cheap..I've never had a problem with them. If you're driving in, they have long term parking very close to the terminal.

Anyone else?

Thanks Donna!!! The prices in April are just UNREAL, compared to BDL here in CT. Not thrilled about the 2.5 hour drive on Friday night, but it seems worth it.:D:D No bird strikes or anything, right?:rolleyes: Yeah. I'm not a good flier at ALL.:o:o

Thanks Donna!!! The prices in April are just UNREAL, compared to BDL here in CT. Not thrilled about the 2.5 hour drive on Friday night, but it seems worth it.:D:D No bird strikes or anything, right?:rolleyes: Yeah. I'm not a good flier at ALL.:o:o

can't you train into Grand Central and then train to the airport. my friends always use Islip and southwest. just remember its like 1 or 2 flights a day so if you miss your flight you're screwed. and book early, march is already sold out of the cheap fares isp to fll.

Thanks Miss Meggie!!!! April is still wide open non stop to FLL for $119 each way. :). Hubby is a CPA. don't think we can travel on Friday. Ugh. I hate flying in the day of the cruise. Just say a little prayer for me, ok??

We found that airport to be a treasure, except that most times there were no direct flights where I was going. But it beat going to LaGuardia or JFK.

And if you're driving from Ct., yes, you can go around and get from the Ct/NY border to Islip in about an hour and 20 minutes, but there's also a ferry that can take you from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson or if youre from further north, a ferry from New London to Orient Point.

Doesnt save you much time, but you don't have to drive the whole way.

Ex NY'er but used to live In Ronkonkoma, about 10 min from ISP. Great airport, easy in and out. Southwest is pretty much the main airline there, I believe they recently put millions into renovations and additional runways.

Also Lived in Port Jeff, ferry wont save you time unless its rush our, plus no driving.

There are a few hotels near air port, I think the closest is Holiday Inn, nice place. My folks would stay there when visiting. Also there is a comedy club across the street for some entertainment.

New Yorker originally from western Mass. Bradley is probably the worst airport in terms of finding anything resembling a decent fare (or direct flight). ANY of the NYC airports will likely get you a better deal.

The only issue I could imagine with MacArthur would be your drive home. Traffic leaving Long Island any time except overnight can be heinous.

can't you train into Grand Central and then train to the airport. my friends always use Islip and southwest. just remember its like 1 or 2 flights a day so if you miss your flight you're screwed. and book early, march is already sold out of the cheap fares isp to fll.

Word of caution on this idea...trains to Long Island don't leave from Grand Central, they leave from Penn Station. Amtrak will go direct in to Penn Station from Connecticut, Metro North to Grand Central. If you have alot of luggage, could be a royal pain.

New Yorker originally from western Mass. Bradley is probably the worst airport in terms of finding anything resembling a decent fare (or direct flight). ANY of the NYC airports will likely get you a better deal.

The only issue I could imagine with MacArthur would be your drive home. Traffic leaving Long Island any time except overnight can be heinous.

Thanks Meanjean80!!! Normally, we get GREAT fares from Bradley, however, SOMEONE:rolleyes::rolleyes: waited too long to commit to these dates, therefore we are S******. Gotta love it.

We love MacArthur and SW! We live about 1 hr east of Ronkonkoma and getting to JFK or LGA for us is not fun, so it has been great for us. You can catch a shuttle from the train station to ISP click the link, http://www.liairports.com/lirr.aspx If you decide to use the ferry, when we go to north, we take one of the ferries. If you do drive there is long term parking and a budget long term, the budget lot is a little further to walk, but it's about a 5 minute walk to the terminal. Not bad at all.

Try this link as well http://www.flylima.com/

If you have alot of luggage, could be a royal pain.

Maybe not so much if taking Amtrak to Penn, you can ask the train crew to radio ahead and have a Red Cap (Porter) meet the train to handle your luggage and he will take you and luggage up an elevator to the cab stand.

Grand Central/Metro North you self handle your luggage, no stairs unless you have the slight possibility of arriving on the lower level but there are ramps and elevators.

Southwest is not only a low price, but runs direct flights to some secondary airports as they save money by staying out of the big ones, such as JFK. They are currently running a sale. Yesterday I booked two tickets from Boston Logan at the end of my cruise to Nashville for $89 each, including all taxes and fees and no charge for baggage. There is a secret to dealing with Southwest, and that involves knowing when the lowest fares tend to hit and constantly monitoring the web site. The cheapest fares also involve no changes or cancellations, but I can afford to risk $89 as opposed to getting all sorts of options and extra points for $100 more. I'm not a total expert on Southwest but there are some travel blogs and web sites you can google up that will go into great detail on them, the same as you can find "college level" courses on line on how to use Priceline. :D

Have you figured how long this is going to take to get to MacArthur? I guessing as long as it takes to fly to Florida, maybe longer.

Probably so.

I live west of the airport. If I get on the Long Island Expressway eastbound I can get to the airport in about 20 minutes.

Westbound to NYC -- I can get to the Mudtown Tunnel in about 40 minutes. Assuming there's no traffic, of course.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Not usually. Only a couple of trains a day between Penn Station and Ronkonkoma require a change at Jamaica. Trains to and from Brooklyn are a different story.

In fact during rush hour many Ronkonkoma trains actually skip Jamaica.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Archived