Drinks carry on or checked?

Steftacular

Ive previously cruised with RCL and NCL, this is my first Carnival cruise. I read in the beverage policy and on a few boards that they say youre supposed to bring any beverages (soda/wine) in your carry on. With my other cruises I just put them in my checked luggage or slapped my room tag on a flat and didnt have any issues. Do I really have to bring these things with my on my carry on? Seems like a pain to lug it around. Anyone have any experience bringing beverages in your checked luggage?

Yes, it definitely has to be in your carry-on luggage. No more than 12 bottles/cans of soda/juice maximum 20 oz apiece, and no more than one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult over 21. Yes, it's a pain to lug it around till your cabin is ready, but that's the small price you pay for what you're saving by bringing your own. Don't put it in your checked luggage because they confiscate it and you might have to go to the naughty room to get your luggage.

Was on the Carnival Dream last week and husband and I each had a bottle of wine in carry on and husband put a bottle of rum in the luggage. When we opened our luggage Carnival had put a note in there saying that they have found "something" in our luggage that was against their policy. Funny thing is they left the bottle in there. Guess they wanted us to know that they snooped but didn't care enough to take it away. Thanks Carnival, I enjoyed my rum and cokes.

if you are not trying to smuggle, and just want to not carry your soda and water around, then the answer is yes, just check the bag in. For some reason there is a majority of people on these boards that care about Carnival Policy, more than Carnival does.

Both cruises out of Tampa, they were telling passengers, prior to entering the port building, to remove any beverages, water, pop etc... from their checked luggage. The poor guy in front of us carried a case of bottled water all the way through the line.

It may vary port by port but considering that Carnival is allowing the privilege of being able to bring on a resonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages & 1 bottle of wine over age 21, hence saving a bit of money, I will continue to follow the policy. If too many feel that they can scoot around it, all it will do is ruin the nicety for the rest.

We use a small roll behind suitcase and it works out fine. If one does not want the hassle of having to lug too much on board, than buy additional water or pop at the ports.

:)

Both cruises out of Tampa, they were telling passengers, prior to entering the port building, to remove any beverages, water, pop etc... from their checked luggage. The poor guy in front of us carried a case of bottled water all the way through the line.

It may vary port by port but considering that Carnival is allowing the privilege of being able to bring on a resonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages & 1 bottle of wine over age 21, hence saving a bit of money, I will continue to follow the policy. If too many feel that they can scoot around it, all it will do is ruin the nicety for the rest.

We use a small roll behind suitcase and it works out fine. If one does not want the hassle of having to lug too much on board, than buy additional water or pop at the ports.

Exactly! And to whoever said that people care about Carnival policy more than Carnival, perhaps Carnival doesn't have time to browbeat the offenders with merely water and soda violations because they're too busy enforcing the alcohol policy. But if people would quit acting like selfish children and actually follow the rules, they wouldn't possibly spoil things for everyone else.

I bet when Carnival comes out and says "no more beverages may be carried on", the offenders who put it in their luggage will be the first ones whining. Grow up and follow the rules!

Even if they don't confiscate your stash you run the risk of having something being broken open. Last cruise one of our suitcases had one wheel knocked off. Your bags can get some pretty rough treatment. If you do pack a bottle or bottles I'd suggest putting them in a zip lock bag just in case.

Will be buying sodas/water near the port before embarking.

Ok, sodas are supposed to be IN carry-on when embarking but can one just bring a recycle type grocery bag and place the sodas/water in there and carry it on? It doesn't have to be in actual carry-on luggage does it?

From my experience, they do not allow it in the carry on. The wine they will, but the sodas, they will not. I have always had to check mine, on every cruise i have been on. I have never had a problem with them being broken, or smashed either. I did one time have a 12 pack opened and then put back together and taped, because they were checking to see if it was truly soda or beer, is my guess.

Exactly! And to whoever said that people care about Carnival policy more than Carnival, perhaps Carnival doesn't have time to browbeat the offenders with merely water and soda violations because they're too busy enforcing the alcohol policy. But if people would quit acting like selfish children and actually follow the rules, they wouldn't possibly spoil things for everyone else.

I bet when Carnival comes out and says "no more beverages may be carried on", the offenders who put it in their luggage will be the first ones whining. Grow up and follow the rules!

What then will you have to complain and post about then? Oh! I know! You would get to post about how those rule breakers are still doing it.. and still getting away with it!

You will then post (i.e. whine) about either A) How it isnt fair that you can't bring beverages on anymore and yet Carnival isn't stopping the rule breakers or B) How you now have to be a rule breaker yourself!

Personally, I am rooting for B! :-D

Any drinks that you take have to be taken in your CARRY ON luggage. Also, make sure you are taking the right amount...12 bottles not more than 20 ounces each per person. If in your checked luggage they can be confiscated.

From my experience, they do not allow it in the carry on. The wine they will, but the sodas, they will not. I have always had to check mine, on every cruise i have been on.

This is confusing ... Some people say put your drinks (water/soda) in your carry on luggage.

Others say put it (water/soda) in your checked luggage.

From my experience, they do not allow it in the carry on. The wine they will, but the sodas, they will not. I have always had to check mine, on every cruise i have been on. I have never had a problem with them being broken, or smashed either. I did one time have a 12 pack opened and then put back together and taped, because they were checking to see if it was truly soda or beer, is my guess.

ALL pop, water, non-alcoholic beverages and allotted wine MUST be in your carry on NOT checked bags. This according to the Carnival FAQ section.

Perpaps you are thinking about rules on a different cruise line ?

Will be buying sodas/water near the port before embarking.

Ok, sodas are supposed to be IN carry-on when embarking but can one just bring a recycle type grocery bag and place the sodas/water in there and carry it on? It doesn't have to be in actual carry-on luggage does it?

It can be in anything at all: grocery bag, reusable canvas bags, beach bags, carry-on bags etc... We have even seen a few just carrying a 12-pk of pop by itself. As long as it's with you while going through security, you will be fine.

I just want to make sure I understand the rules. So if I am bringing juice onboard the container can not be larger than 20 ounces, so I probably need to find the smaller single serve bottles of juice. I have ordered from BV department so I wanted to have some mixer in my room and get tired of the lemonade.

Thanks for the help

I keep reading about people bringing bottled water on the boat ... Do you have to pay for water now?

There is nowhere on the boat to get free water?

That must be something new ... I don't remember needing to buy water the last time I was on Carnival ... but that was a long time ago.

How much do they charge for a small bottle of water anyway?

Jeeeze ... even a discount airline like Southwest will give you a free glass of water if you want it

I keep reading about people bringing bottled water on the boat ... Do you have to pay for water now?

There is nowhere on the boat to get free water?

That must be something new ... I don't remember needing to buy water the last time I was on Carnival ... but that was a long time ago.

How much do they charge for a small bottle of water anyway?

Jeeeze ... even a discount airline like Southwest will give you a free glass of water if you want it

I don't understand people lugging around a case of water on check-in day until their room is ready :confused:.......The water on the ship is fine to drink, in fact it tastes better to me than what I have at home.

Carnival no longer allows any of this stuff to be checked, it all must be carried on. If you could see the way our luggage is treated as it is being loaded onto the ship, you would think twice about putting ANYTHING breakable in your checked luggage!!!!

Small bottle of water is $1.95 plus 15% tip. The large bottle of water in your cabin is $3.95 plus tip. Tap water is free, but I don't like the taste, so I buy water. Too much trouble to carry on bottled water.

And please be considerate and don't pack cans of soda in your checked luggage - I don't want it to leak all over MY luggage.

It can be in anything at all: grocery bag, reusable canvas bags, beach bags, carry-on bags etc... We have even seen a few just carrying a 12-pk of pop by itself. As long as it's with you while going through security, you will be fine.

Ah yes, thank you. Finally a clear answer.

Geez, many of these other posts are sooo contradicting its no wonder this question keeps getting asked.

Thanks

We have a small rolling carry on that we use to bring on our 12 pack of water and 12 pack of sodas/energy drink. It makes it easy to tranport around and then since it is empty at the end of the cruise, it's the perfect spot for our souveniers/purchases for when we leave the ship.

We bring water for a few reasons.

• We like the convenience of waking up and having an icy cold water without having to leave the cabin.
  • We like putting a few bottles in our backpack when we are visiting the ports.
  • I had read in the past about people experiencing swelling in their feet and legs from the water onboard. Now, I completely called bull-hockey when I read this until it actually happened to DBF on our December sailing. We always have water with our meals and noticed on day 2 the swelling beginning. Once he stopped drinking the water, the swelling slowly began subsiding. The taste of the water is fine but the swelling was really scary. This has never happened at home.
  • Empty water bottles are really handy for reverse smuggling rum OFF the ship into ports which saves a great deal of money while lying on the beach and making your own cocktails.

I wouldnt put it in checked luggage because of the possibility that they would bust and ruin other people's luggage/clothing. Not to mention my own. Last thing I want to do is laundry on day one.

Here is the info from Carnival's FAQ:

"On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

Archived