Old Lahaina Luau from POA port w/o car rental

banditbandit

What's the best way to get to and from the Old Lahaina Luau from the POA port?

We don't want to rent a car because we fully intend to take advantage of the open bar at the luau.:D;)

The taxi rates appear to be about $60 one way. Can we do any better than that? The POA "Lahaina on Your Own" excursion returns too early for the luau.

Thanks!

Edie

I feel your pain ... $60 cab ride seems like a lot, but Old Lahaina is a good 30 to 40 minute drive from the cruise port. Maybe longer depending on your timing. Anywhere around Lahaina during weekday rush hour traffic is terrible. There's only one highway, so not much choice. Only suggestion I might have is to to find another couple that might wish to do the same thing and share the cab fare. Maybe you could even get a few couples and request a van and share the cost. Sorry I have no other suggestions. I sure wouldn't miss the Old Lahaina Luau though ... it's definitely worth it. Great show, great food and yes plenty of drinks. Enjoy :D

Cdn in KS

I'm sure the Hawaii/POA experts over on the Hawaii board can be of more help.

If you haven't, sign up for your Roll Call. You may be able to find others on your cruise who would also like to go who would be willing to share a cab.

What about a ship tour, if offered. That would eliminate the need for a taxi.

We rented a car and shared expenses with another couple from our roll call - of course you need a Designated Driver. One couple actually used the Lahaina excursion to go and if I remember right the second day they just used the excursion trip back. Of course they had the expense of a hotel in Lahaina overnight. To me the OLL is the best that I have seen.

What about a private shuttle/limo rental ?

I would also consider a call to Old Lahaina Luau,

perhaps they could be motivated to help out?

A limo or private shuttle would almost certainly be close to the taxi fare. OLL is across the island and up the west coast, about 50 miles round trip.

OLL would not be motivated to help out because (1) they are almost always sold out well in advance, so they have no need to do so nor should it be expected and (2) regular companies simply will not/do not take care of transportation involving that kind of distance as it's prohibitive in terms of personnel, fuel, and time.

There is the option of taking the bus to Lahaina and then a taxi back. It's still not cheap. With taxi fares at $3/mile, it's going to be a good $80 (with tip) one way. But it would be less expensive than taxi both ways with no worries about drinking at the luau.

I think it's a good idea to see if others might want to share a taxi.

beachchick

If you had a group using a limo service might be worth while and more dependable than a taxi and for the price of a phone call Old Lahaina might also have some recommendations

on a reliable company.

You can also check online and you will find several Maui shuttle/limo companies and contact them directly.

Thanks, everyone. Our decision is either the POA excursion in Kauai or the OLL on our own. The POA excursion that we would take to avoid the massive crowds totals $400/2 of us. So the extra for the OLL transportation may be worth it. Right now, we are considering the bus to town then taxi back. With those costs we are still saving about $50 over the Kauai luau. Since OLL has the best reviews it might be the best for us.

Archived